What's your favorite beer?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,684 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

Has anyone here had Magic Hat? It's from Vermont, and not available in western Pennsylvania. I thought it was spectacular.

Hmm. I haven't seen it here in Ohio. The Vermont brews I do see are from Otter Creek--I've tried a couple from them--and am requesting their ESB from my local grocery as I've heard very positive things about it (and I'm trying to find a good ESB that won't break the budget).

#22 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Crow @ Apr 22 2005, 06:50 PM)
However, two beers I really like from the bottle are McEwan's Scotch Ale and Theakson's Old Peculiar.
View Post

Crow, IIRC you are from St. Louis. I used to drink Theakston's out on the sidewalk at that place across the way from Blueberry Hill. They have a good selection of UK beers.

QUOTE(MattPage @ Apr 25 2005, 05:13 AM) View Post

Has anyone had the chance to compare these beers (particularly in Guiness) in Ireland, Britain and America.

I have, and it is hit or miss in all three places. (And it partly depends on who is pouring it.) I haven't been too impressed by Guiness distribution in the UK. For all you Guiness fans, try this Scottish bevvy on for size. Just pull a pint of Guiness and snag a small glass of port. Drink a bit off the top of your Guiness and dump the port right in. Sounds crazy, but it is killer.

QUOTE(Russ @ Mar 27 2006, 03:00 PM) View Post

Has anyone here had Magic Hat? It's from Vermont, and not available in western Pennsylvania. I thought it was spectacular.

Yep. I like that stuff. You're not a Ywuenglingding fan?

My hands down favorite "beer" is La Chouffe, a French-Belgian ale. Very light in tone, vigorous and full-bodied in finish. You can get it in the States now, well worth searching for. Piraat is in a close second, but you have to tread mighty carefully with it as it packs a punch. Otherwise, Newcastle or Sierra Nevada. But I am fairly blue-collar biographically (read: grew up on Mickey's) so I am not very particular when push comes to shove.

#23 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,789 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

Just pull a pint of Guiness and snag a small glass of port. Drink a bit off the top of your Guiness and dump the port right in. Sounds crazy, but it is killer.

Okay. I have my assignment for the weekend! Thanks, Michael!

#24 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,571 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Shouldn't that have a great name? Not a boiler maker, but close.

#25 Russ

Russ

• 1,083 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

Mike, Yuengling's not bad, but it's like Rolling Rock: local and ubiquitous. Fine for everyday socializing and kicking back. For, say, a baseball game it's way out in front of the Milwaukee/Colorado stuff.

I've also been having some Blue Moon recently, and liking it.

#26 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,789 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

At Mexican restaurants, yes, I do lean in that direction. Or a margarita, but that's for another thread.

#27 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,684 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

No disrespect intended--honest question. I haven't found a Mexican beer that has me tracking it down at the grocery--they all seem like generic pilsners to me. I've tried the Negro, the Corona, and Dos Equis (both versions), lime and sans lime. What am I missing?

I think my problem is that I'm rather late to beer. Never drank a drop before I was 21--good Christian boy and all that. But when I started, I couldn't stop--er, I mean, I chose quality (based on reputation: guinness, samuel adams, pilsner urquell) over quantity (anything macro and American: AB, Miller, etc). So I never developed a taste for the lite pilsner that's so ubiquitously available.

And this (plus marrying a European) led me to a greater sampling of European brews, and then on to American micros.

#28 ruthie

ruthie

• 102 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

My first beer was a Blue Moon a couple of years ago when I was out meeting my husband's best friend for the first time. It was a good introduction; a little citric. I like it.

My second beer was Boddingtons...I have heard it called the "silk sheets of beer".

My third beer was Arrogant Bastard Ale...not for the faint-hearted...and I like things spicey!

Since then, I've been on a tour-de-biere, trying all sorts. The first three still remain soundly on my favorites list, and the following have been added:
  • Old Rasputin stout
  • Newcastle (a more generally stocked brew)
  • Black Butte

Edited by ruthie, 27 March 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#29 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,684 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

For all you Blue Moon fans out there, pick up a bottle of Vuuve to try sometime. Its a similar, citrusy spicy witbier, but sticks out in my taste memory as a more unique (and IMHO better) brew.

#30 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,571 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

Anybody tried one Sam Adams Utopias beer? Goes at about $100/bottle, meant to be drunk in 2 oz portions like a port.

#31 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,684 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(Darrel Manson @ Mar 28 2006, 10:04 AM) View Post

Anybody tried one Sam Adams Utopias beer? Goes at about $100/bottle, meant to be drunk in 2 oz portions like a port.

cheers.gif

Now on my wish list.

#32 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,071 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

I share the love for Arrogant Bastard, perhaps the hoppiest brew I've ever tasted. At the opposite extreme, I recently discovered Bison Stout - its rich chocolatey taste knocked my socks off.

And, like Alan, I'm always game for a Pilsner Urquell or a Corona. Thanks for the recommendation of Negra Modelo, one I've never tried.

Lastly, while I'm normally not a fan of non-Belgian fruit-flavored ales - it must be very tricky to make these without overwhelming the palate with oversweet fruitiness - I was recently wowed by Kona Brewing Company's Lilikoi (passionfruit) Ale. Their stout was also quite tasty. Alas, it appears from KBC's website that their brews are not available on the mainland. sad.gif

#33 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,789 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

Anyone ever tried Red Hook's espresso stout? That was one of my favorites in the mid-90s, but I actually don't even know if they make it anymore.

#34 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

Sounds like Alan, Jeffrey, and I need to get together some time. First, a Mexican meal with a round of Negro Modelos, followed by a stop at a pub for Newcastles from the tap. Joanna and I eat at a local Mexican place so often that Microsoft Money prompted me to make it a regularly occuring expense. I always get a #25 and a Negro Modelo. That's good stuff.

#35 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(MLeary @ Mar 27 2006, 04:00 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Crow @ Apr 22 2005, 06:50 PM)
However, two beers I really like from the bottle are McEwan's Scotch Ale and Theakson's Old Peculiar.
View Post

Crow, IIRC you are from St. Louis. I used to drink Theakston's out on the sidewalk at that place across the way from Blueberry Hill. They have a good selection of UK beers.

There's a couple of places across from Blueberry Hill, Brandt's and Cicero's, that have a good beer selection. I haven't been to Brandt's in a while, but I love the selection at Cicero's. They have two more of my favorite bottled beers, Skullsplitter and Trappistes Rochefort Ten. Those beers have a pretty good kick to them. smile.gif

And I like Chimay as well, especially served in wine glasses, which add just the right amount of class.

#36 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

Brandt's. I will have to meet you there sometime in the Spring of 2007. I may pass on the Skullsplitter as we will be staying all the way out in High Ridge.

#37 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,684 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Crow @ Mar 29 2006, 02:12 PM) View Post

And I like Chimay as well, especially served in wine glasses, which add just the right amount of class.

Really, most of the high ABV Belgians should be poured in a goblet. That Rochefort must've had a good kick! I recently tried the 8, and it was very tasty. Skullsplitter, huh? That, I'm sure, sells well on name alone! Not bad flavor, either.

#38 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(MLeary @ Mar 29 2006, 03:46 PM) View Post

Brandt's. I will have to meet you there sometime in the Spring of 2007. I may pass on the Skullsplitter as we will be staying all the way out in High Ridge.

Drop me a line when you're in town. They've recently redecorated the inside of Brandt's, it's looking pretty snazzy!

#39 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

I happen to live in the town with the greatest beer ever - The Boundary Bay Brewing Company. Unfortunately its not really bottled. So, if you're a beer lover and are in Bellingham, WA stop by Boundary Bay. Heck, give me a call, I'll meet up with you. I never need much of an excuse to head down to Boundary Bay.

As far as bottled beer goes, I'm a fan of Cinder Cone and pretty much everything by Dechutes Brewing Company. Moose Drool and everything at Big Sky Brewing Company is very good. New Belguim consistantly puts out good beer.

Fun fact about me: I grew up in Kalama, Washington, which is the original home of Pyramid Ales. For the first few years I lived there, Pyramid was brewed there. In fact, the first house I lived in Kalama was where Pyramid got it start. The founders started brewing it in their basement and it continued to grow from there.

#40 ruthie

ruthie

• 102 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

I just had to bring this to everyone's attention from the "eye intercourse" thread from Pensicola Christian. The pun was irresistable...

QUOTE(Clint M @ Apr 3 2006, 10:37 PM) View Post

I've attended Christian institutions since my freshman year of high school. High School was the most restrictive, which required a dress code (tucked shirts and collars, people!) and a signature on a code of conduct. My college was less restrictive - no beer on campus allowed, but it was enforced, oh, once in a blue moon.

It's too bad that Blue Moon should have such a negative connotation; it's such an innocent brew.