Photo

So... I need a new laptop computer.

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Christian

Christian

• 10,900 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

My Facebook post yesterday has generated exactly zero replies -- maybe all my friends are offended Mac users? -- so I'm calling on the A&F crowd to either second this recommendation, or steer me in a better direction. Would like to spend less than $600:

narrowed down our laptop choices to one: An HP dv6-2150, which we can purchase new for $550. Anyone familiar with the pros and cons of HP? We are, but want to hear from others. Except from those who say, "Why not pay three times as much for an Apple? They're so much better!" Save it, Mac people. Comments from all others are welcome.

#82 Christian

Christian

• 10,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Nuthin' but a bunch o' Mac fans in my world.

We're off to buy the HP.

#83 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,480 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

I am not familiar with that HP. But this Toshiba is a great deal. I lean towards Toshibas when buying at the lower end, and have never had any issues.

#84 Christian

Christian

• 10,900 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

I am not familiar with that HP. But this Toshiba is a great deal. I lean towards Toshibas when buying at the lower end, and have never had any issues.

Thanks. A Toshiba was in the running, but my wife ruled it out based on previous negative experience with the brand. We bought the HP last night after enduring two pitches for a service contract. We didn't bite.

Edited by Christian, 07 June 2010 - 11:37 AM.

#85 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,299 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

It's been seven years since I started this thread, and here I am again.

My Macbook has been fantastic for the four years I've owned it. It has never crashed (unless you count Word for Mac crashing, of course).

And it's still running pretty well. But it's slowing down, and I have an opportunity right now to invest some work-related funds in something new.

I like the Macbook because it's light (and I carry it everywhere), it's dependable, it looks great for movies (although I long for a blu-ray drive), its battery has endured. The only complaint I have: I've been through three power cords at least, and they're pricey.

I'm inclined to just pick up the latest Macbook... which means a Macbook Pro, I guess, since it looks like they've discontinued the standard Macbook.

Does anybody have any particular interest in persuading me to consider something else?

Edited by Overstreet, 09 October 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#86 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

You could also consider a MacBook Air. The latest model has been receiving very good reviews.

#87 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,299 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

I watch a *lot* of movies, Jason. What's my best option for watching DVDs on a Macbook Air? Is there a reasonable, practical solution to the lack of a DVD drive?

Also, I do a lot of presentations (Powerpoint) from my laptop. I'm assuming a MBAir has a connector that will make that convenient, but I'll have to look into that.

#88 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

My wife's laptop is on the fritz, so I'm glad you bumped this thread up, Jeff. At this point, I think she's will to hear any or all suggestions. She mainly uses her laptop for teaching — not only class prep, but also AV-related things in-class. Also, for watching Dancing with the Stars.

#89 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I watch a *lot* of movies, Jason. What's my best option for watching DVDs on a Macbook Air? Is there a reasonable, practical solution to the lack of a DVD drive?

You can get an external DVD player from Apple for $79. But you can probably find DVD players from other vendors that are cheaper.

#90 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,859 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Personally, I'm not a fan of laptops, though I've come to love my iPad. Go figure. But it won't help Jeffrey.

Anyway, Jeffrey, although you'll probably find less expensive, similarly-configured Windows laptops, you'll probably also find that the new Macbook Pros offer some advances over your Macbook, for about the same as what you originally paid for it. So if I were you, I'd go for the Macbook Pro. If you're concerned about weight, pick the 13-inch rather than the 15-inch.

You work for a college--you can get $100-200 off :)

#91 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 356 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

I have the newest Macbook Air and enjoy it tremendously. Recently I've been looking into external blu-ray drives and this Samsung player seems to be a viable option for Mac. I believe some form of software is necessary in order to play blu-rays on Macs (notoriously non-blu friendly).

#92 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,352 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Jeff, I was able to buy a 15" retina display MacBook Pro for work, and it's the best computer I've ever owned. I like it so much I've lost all interest in my big iMac at home -- to the point that I'm planning to turn our home office into a playroom for the kids. Even at 15" it still feels smaller and more compact than Joanna's 3-year-old 13" MacBook. I carried it with me most days in Toronto.

It's an expensive computer, no question, but if you have the budget, you'll have no regrets. The external DVD player is tiny, easy to use, and relatively (by Apple standards) cheap.