Arts & Faith Spiritually Significant Films (2005)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Jeff

Jeff

• 844 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

Well, I found that whole Top100 process to be very interesting. Observing all of you guys throughout this ordeal has given me a lot of insight into how you all view film, and it's varying merits and demerits as far as morality, artistry, and all that good stuff is concerned. It's been pretty cool, really. biggrin.gif

I do regret seeing The Prince of Egypt fall from the list, and I wish that The Pianist and The Ten Commandments had fared better. But overall, I guess I just think the whole thing is pretty interesting. I haven't either the distinguished A&F service record nor the professional/extensive knowledge of film that many of you have, but hey, maybe next year I'll do more lobbying for my kind of stuff.

I'll be sending out press releases then, too.

Wow, I didn't realize that this list was such a big deal! Does it get published in any newspapers, magazines, or anything? I imagine that if you're sending out press releases the list must carry more weight than I thought it did at first.

#42 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Mister Jeff @ Sep 26 2005, 03:50 PM)
Does it get published in any newspapers, magazines, or anything?

Let's hope so! I'm eager to see who might publish this year's list, and what they might say about it.

#43 Jeff

Jeff

• 844 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:14 PM

Wow, that's impressive. I'm getting some nerdy thrills from the knowledge that I participated in this (albeit insignificantly, in comparison, but what the hey). biggrin.gif

#44 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:26 PM

The honors course I'm co-teaching this semester on "pop culture and the sacred" (we're coming to dislike the title) is referring to it frequently.

#45 The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man

• 505 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:02 AM

Words fail me. And how is Rosetta, which is really nothing more than a tedious rip-off of Bresson's Mouchette, spiritual? Bah!

#46 Sundered

Sundered

• 228 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:37 PM

I have an immensely narcissistic question. How many, if any, people recommended the inclusion of Faust or Nostalghia? I'm just hoping that the recommendations were mine alone so that I can subsequently cackle in glee.

#47 Sundered

Sundered

• 228 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:12 PM

Curses! Ah well, I figured they probably had wide support if they got onto the list. I guess I'm just happy to support them.

#48 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:28 AM

Sundered, in another life our avatars could've been something together.

-s.

#49 theoddone33

theoddone33

• 763 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:29 PM

Sad to see so much American Beauty hate of course, but I have a much more positive feeling about this list than the 2004 one. Of the losses since last last year, I think (other than AB) On the Waterfront is one of the biggest.

I'm making a mental note to find more people who love American Beauty and hate the LOTR trilogy and get them to sign up for membership before next year. wink.gif