Unofficial Kieslowski DVDs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 darkglobe

darkglobe

• New User
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:19 AM

There are currently 2 rare Kieslowski DVD items for sale on ebay.

Firstly a documentary about the making of his Dekalog series of films:
http://cgi.ebay.co.u.....AMESE:IT&rd=1

also
"The Double Life of Veronique' DVD with extras.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

Not official releases but very good quality DVDs nevertheless.

#2 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

Why doesn't someone just release this as an Official R1? I don't friggin' get it.

-s.

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,279 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:57 AM

Doug C? How about pursuing this for the Masters of Cinema series? Nobody else seems to be getting anywhere with it.

#4 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:40 AM

The official 2-disc MK2 release (region 2) is due in February; I would assume the Artificial Eye (UK) and Kino (US) versions should be forthcoming sometime next year. (You'll have to "Cliquez ici pour accéder au site" to skip the ad.)

#5 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:57 AM

Cool, Doug! Thanks for the info!

Now I wonder if I should wait for the R1 or just go ahead with the MK2 in Feb... I don't buy that many DVDs, but this is one purchase I wouldn't be able to pass up.

Veronique was a transitional film for me... I'd love to see it again if only to know for certain that it really is a great movie. It's been nearly ten years...

-s.

#6 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:51 AM

Veronique is a stunning mood piece with some of the most beautiful imagery in a movie I've seen, but it definitely lacks Kieslowski's usual ethical conundrums and tensions, making it seem a little less hefty in the grand scheme of things. (Especially sandwiched between The Decalogue and Trois Colours.) But I'll definitely be getting the DVD. Incidentally, it's not clear whether or not MK2 will offer English subs (and they often don't), so you may have to wait for the UK/US ports anyway. At least we know they're coming...

#7 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:48 PM

user posted image

MK2 (region 2, France) have announced the upcoming 2-disc La Double vie de Véronique DVD for 2/22: anamorphic widescreen with Polish/French audio and English/French subtitles. The 2nd disc will feature three short documentaries by Kieslowski, Fabryka (Factory, 1970), Szpital (Hospital, 1976) and Dworzec (Station, 1980), and also feature a 52-minute Dialogue with Kieslowski from 1991, a short documentary by Kazimierz Karabasz, an interview with Zbigniew Preisner & Irene Jacob, and more.

Edited by Doug C, 23 November 2005 - 12:49 PM.

#8 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,279 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:01 PM

Veronique is a stunning mood piece with some of the most beautiful imagery in a movie I've seen, but it definitely lacks Kieslowski's usual ethical conundrums and tensions, making it seem a little less hefty in the grand scheme of things.

With the exception of Blue, I actually prefer Veronique to the other films precisely because of that freedom from focus on "ethical conundrums and tensions." The inquisitive nature of his storytelling... as if even he has no idea where it's going to end up... paralelled by the inquisitive movement of the camera makes Veronique an entirely unique film, in my opinion. Every time I see it, I discover new ideas, new questions, new theories about what's going on in it.

I wish I could live in such a way that I could see the world all the time the way Kieslowski's camera sees the world. Kieslowski saw the world the way Damiel saw the world (and sometimes, alternately, the way Cassiel saw the world) in Wings of Desire... like an angel haunting his subjects, drawn to their beauty and the mysteries of their thoughts, choices, habits, and passions.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet, 23 November 2005 - 01:03 PM.

#9 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(Doug C @ Nov 23 2005, 12:48 PM)
user posted image

MK2 (region 2, France) have announced the upcoming 2-disc La Double vie de Véronique DVD for 2/22: anamorphic widescreen with Polish/French audio and English/French subtitles. The 2nd disc will feature three short documentaries by Kieslowski, Fabryka (Factory, 1970), Szpital (Hospital, 1976) and Dworzec (Station, 1980), and also feature a 52-minute Dialogue with Kieslowski from 1991, a short documentary by Kazimierz Karabasz, an interview with Zbigniew Preisner & Irene Jacob, and more.

View Post

Hallelu, Hallelu, Hallelu, Hallelujah --

PRAISE YE THE LORD!!!

-s.

Edited by stef, 23 November 2005 - 01:03 PM.

#10 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:04 PM

And Jeffrey -- I tend to agree. It is hard to compare great works to great works though, but I think I'd lean your direction on this.

-s.

#11 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:20 PM

I have been trying to get my hands on Double life... for years and every time I go to pick up the VHS at BB it is gone. Last night I went to get it and they no longer carry VHS! I would have even bought the used version.

I suppose I wil have to pick this up, as well as a multi-region or region two DVD player. I guess it isn't going to happen any time soon.

#12 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,352 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

I happened to flip to IFC last night just as the closing credits started running. The only time Double Life is on their schedule, and I missed it.

#13 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,261 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Jeffrey Overstreet @ Nov 23 2005, 10:01 AM)
With the exception of Blue, I actually prefer Veronique to the other films precisely because of that freedom from focus on "ethical conundrums and tensions." The inquisitive nature of his storytelling... as if even he has no idea where it's going to end up... paralelled by the inquisitive movement of the camera makes Veronique an entirely unique film, in my opinion. Every time I see it, I discover new ideas, new questions, new theories about what's going on in it.

I wish I could live in such a way that I could see the world all the time the way Kieslowski's camera sees the world. Kieslowski saw the world the way Damiel saw the world (and sometimes, alternately, the way Cassiel saw the world) in Wings of Desire... like an angel haunting his subjects, drawn to their beauty and the mysteries of their thoughts, choices, habits, and passions.

View Post

Oooh, nice post. I'm putting this in my quote file...

#14 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

I agree with you in large part, Jeff--I like Véronique quite a bit--but I also think there's always the danger of artists falling into modes of ornamentation and abstraction that can become too removed from the reality of our lives. Kieslowski's other works are so firmly rooted in the real world, the difficult choices and struggles we face each and every day, that Véronique's picturesque effervescence almost seems flighty or easily digestible by comparison.

#15 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:37 PM

Incidentally, I can't find official info at the moment, but I would assume this DVD will be the European cut rather than the Miramax version.

#16 Russ

Russ

• 1,099 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:41 PM

Huh. I've never seen the non-Miramax cut. Didn't even know there was another cut. Is it different in many respects?

Wow. Did Kieslowski have Scorsesesque fights with the Weinsteins over final cut? Say that isn't so.

#17 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:26 PM

Kieslowski was way too much the pragmatist to fight over it. He simply stated that his original cut was "too ambiguous" for Americans, who didn't like his ending, so he willingly added a coda
Spoiler

I'm not sure if there were other cuts/additions. But yes, it was an early example of MiramAxe's distribution policy.

#18 darthvieder

darthvieder

• 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

now where can i get those dvds? i know its a little old but i like them!

commission de surendettement
- commission de surendettement, vous pouvez demander un dossier de surendettement.