Portable Media Players

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:22 AM

iPod, iPod, iPod we are becoming a civilization of pod people!

I have a Birthday credit for an iPod but I just haven't been able to bring myself to purchase one almost 4 months later. Quite frankly, I am not certain the Apple iPod is the way I want to go, although with the 5th gen. you get more for your money than with the 4th gen. I think the iPod is more hype than quality. Realistically, there are miniDisc player/recorders that sound better and they record as well, which is a feature I like.

Anyway, I am curious to know how many people here use something other than the iPod, and I am not speaking to the Alan's of the world who do not mind finding a PC in whichever part of the world he might find himself in. The portability is the issue, the convenience and the market defined need.

I have been looking at the Creative Labs Zen mp3 players, some of which record through a mic input. I am really taken in by them. The finger interface looks to be less spastic and more controllable than the iPod circle.

So, Creative Labs has the 20GB and 40GB versions out there, anyone using them?

I have read some complaints about them freezing up.

#22 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE(asher @ Dec 29 2005, 11:22 PM) View Post

I have a Birthday credit for an iPod but I just haven't been able to bring myself to purchase one almost 4 months later. Quite frankly, I am not certain the Apple iPod is the way I want to go...

Man, I completely agree! Tell you what, let me take that credit off of your hands so you are spared the burden of having to choose an iPod. I've got a shredder here at the house. Or better yet, I'll march right down to the Apple store with that credit and give them what for! No no, I'd be happy to do this for you! It will be my pleasure!

PM me and I'll give you my mailing address...

#23 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE(SZPT @ Dec 30 2005, 12:01 AM) View Post

QUOTE(asher @ Dec 29 2005, 11:22 PM) View Post

I have a Birthday credit for an iPod but I just haven't been able to bring myself to purchase one almost 4 months later. Quite frankly, I am not certain the Apple iPod is the way I want to go...

Man, I completely agree! Tell you what, let me take that credit off of your hands so you are spared the burden of having to choose an iPod. I've got a shredder here at the house. Or better yet, I'll march right down to the Apple store with that credit and give them what for! No no, I'd be happy to do this for you! It will be my pleasure!

PM me and I'll give you my mailing address...

I am so grateful to be able to turn this over to you. How can I ever repay you for your kindness?

#24 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:25 AM

You know, as much as I love the idea of portable media, I just can't see myself spending the money for an iPod -- or, really, any other device. If I'm travelling, hiking, waiting at a bus stop, etc. I'd rather be absorbed by my surroundings than caught up in my own personal soundtrack (which, would be a great one, but nevertheless...).

Call me old-fashioned...

#25 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(Darryl A. Armstrong @ Dec 30 2005, 01:25 AM) View Post

You know, as much as I love the idea of portable media, I just can't see myself spending the money for an iPod -- or, really, any other device. If I'm travelling, hiking, waiting at a bus stop, etc. I'd rather be absorbed by my surroundings than caught up in my own personal soundtrack (which, would be a great one, but nevertheless...).

Call me old-fashioned...

Right on! I hear what you are saying, loud and clear with no audio/visual distractions of any kind. I love being visually and audibly absorbed by my surroundings, especially in urban settings, but I also enjoy being able to listen to want I want, when I want.

#26 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Dec 30 2005, 10:19 AM) View Post

...and sometimes what I want is to listen to my surroundings...

...and sometimes I want to listen to surround sound...

#27 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(asher @ Dec 30 2005, 12:27 AM) View Post
I am so grateful to be able to turn this over to you. How can I ever repay you for your kindness?

No, no, no. It would be my pleasure, my duty to assist you in this matter. Just send the frickin' credit!

wink.gif

#28 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:02 PM

FYI - It is just a mental credit, there isn't really anything to send smile.gif

Speaking of mental, we might want to, at least mentally, cross off this idea of “cheaper,” considering anything equivalent to the iPod (storage space and functionality) is right around the same price. Apple can even go a bit cheaper since their marketing department did a great job at cornering the market, and Apple wasn’t even the company to introduce the mp3 player.

Edited by asher, 30 December 2005 - 12:04 PM.

#29 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

I have been investigating the Creative Zen Vision: M. This looks to me like the more tempting buy for many reasons including the negative impact of the Apple hype.

MP3 is certainly not for true audiophiles and, in the same way we discuss film around here, it is not the intended format the artist wanted his/her creation to be heard in (for the most part). WAV files are much more accurate in frequency ranges but they require much more storage space (roughly 10 MB per minute of stereo audio = less than 1000 songs on the larger mp3 players).

#30 TexasWill

TexasWill

Easy Black Russian Terror Suspect

• 639 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(asher @ Dec 30 2005, 01:01 PM) View Post

I have been investigating the Creative Zen Vision: M. This looks to me like the more tempting buy for many reasons including the negative impact of the Apple hype.

The "negative impact of the Apple hype"???

MP3 is certainly not for true audiophiles and, in the same way we discuss film around here, it is not the intended format the artist wanted his/her creation to be heard in (for the most part). WAV files are much more accurate in frequency ranges but they require much more storage space (roughly 10 MB per minute of stereo audio = less than 1000 songs on the larger mp3 players).

That's why I use the Apple lossless format (perfectly compatible with iPods) for most of my music.

#31 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(TexasWill @ Dec 30 2005, 01:23 PM) View Post

QUOTE(asher @ Dec 30 2005, 01:01 PM) View Post

The "negative impact of the Apple hype"???

The negative impact it had on me. The Apple product isn't really better, it is just marketed better. Plus Apple is pretty much selling out its loyal, diehard "Apple Rules" users by shifting to Intel Chips wink.gif

That's why I use the Apple lossless format (perfectly compatible with iPods) for most of my music.

Well, there are a few different types of lossless formats but that just means it decompresses at the same ratio it compressed at, instead of decompressing at a lesser ratio. It still doesn't have the audio quality, or frequency range of WAV. This comment is much more related to the audio purist.

Edited by asher, 30 December 2005 - 02:36 PM.

#32 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:40 AM

Jeffrey - Did you ever decide to pick up an mp3 player, if so, which one and how do you like it?

#33 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:13 PM

Interesting article on iPods, and other mp3 listening devices, and the potential to create hearing loss.

My favorite quote, I mean why provide more than you have to, that woud be true customer service and looking out for the consumer and not the capital gain.

"Apple declined to provide information on the maximum output level for its devices, and noted that the federal government does not require manufacturers to provide such information to consumers."

Edited by asher, 17 January 2006 - 02:14 PM.

#34 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

You better get an iPod... not only are they easy to use, but they can also remind you of Jesus.

#35 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

One billion served!

Edited by TexasWill, 23 February 2006 - 10:45 AM.

#36 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:45 PM

Well, I finally did it. I purchased the Zen Vision:M yesterday. I am both anxious and apprehensive, I am messed up.

Anyway, I love the unit thus far (looks and specs). I am not quite sure about the fuss over thickness but I don't mind this not being as thin as an ipod, they weigh the same, the argument should be pocket space vs. pocket weight.

The main issue I have at the moment is that I have to upgrade all of my systems to XP in order to install and use the software, hence the Zen. I have avoiding this for some time. I like 2000 and I have never had a problem with either of my current systems, stable as ever. Oh well, what can you do?

#37 Russ

Russ

• 1,111 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

If I could, Big Love-style, enter into a second marriage, I would marry my iPod.

#38 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Apr 14 2006, 05:50 PM) View Post

iTunes is a huuuge ripoff.

???

What is your line of reasoning?

#39 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Apr 26 2006, 09:45 AM) View Post

Let me count the ways:

$0.99 per song (vs. $0.79 to download at Yahoo! and pennies at AllTunes.com)

At 99 cents, they're not making much money. (Is Yahoo 79 cents across the board?) You can also buy albums for a flat rate, often well below 99 cents a song.

I don't know enough about Yahoo to say much, since I doubt they allow anyone but Windows users to use their service.

...no subscription model,

I wouldn't use a subscription-based service myself. I'd rather own rights to music than rent them.

...limited portability,

Anything with DRM is limited in portability. However, my iTunes songs play on my Windows machine at work and my Macintoshes at home. The Windows DRM won't allow me to play protected content on Macintoshes.

iTunes is far more "portable" than any Windows-based DRM.

...closed/monopolistic encoding.

See previous response.

The devices are way overpriced. (On the plus side, there are lots of cool accessories!)

Yeah, that's why no one buys iPods. dry.gif

I've looked at other music players, but I haven't seen anything that would make me want to trade my iPod... except for some of the newer models of iPods. biggrin.gif

My wife, who ardently wanted an iPod, now regrets her choice, wishing she had instead purchased a device compatible with subscription services.

I supposed if you want to rent your music, then an iPod and the iTunes Music Store are currently not your best options.

I'm no lover of Redmond, but in the digital music world, I predict a turn-around towards Microsoft unless Apple gets a cheap subscription model in place, and quick.

Analysts have been predicting that for several years, but iTunes keeps booming and the other services keep limping along or shutting down. I imagine Apple has a plan to implement a subscription service option if the marketplace indicates that there is an opportunity.

But I doubt that many people actually want to rent their music.

#40 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Apr 26 2006, 01:02 PM) View Post

Each song in Yahoo is FREE with a subscription, but if you want to license a song to burn, it's only $0.79, across the board.

As far as renting music -- I get to rent the entire LIBRARY for a fixed fee, and can purchase individual songs for $0.79. For example, after each American Idol, I was able almost instantly to listen to the original songs. No extra fee. I may not listen to them again.

I just checked out the terms of Yahoo Music...

In theory, it's not too bad if you don't mind a constant drain of at least $5 a month for a subscription. Unfortunately, the files are encoded in WMA format (a format that has always sounded inferior to me) and you're forced to use Windows.

So Yahoo Music is out of the question for me.