Eraserhead and Shortfilms by David Lynch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,854 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:40 AM

For those Eraserhead or David Lynch or avant garde fans Eraserhead as well as the DAvid Lynch shorts, are set to a hard to pass up price.

#2 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,425 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:04 AM

This description is hysterical:

The lights flicker on and off, he has bowls of water in his dresser drawers, and for his only diversion he watches and listens to the Lady in the Radiator sing about finding happiness in heaven. Henry has a girlfriend, Mary X, who has frequent spastic fits. Mary gives birth to Henry's child, a frightening looking mutant, which leads to the injection of all sorts of sexual imagery into the depressive and chaotic mix

The extras on this edition are great. I am pretty sure this is the one that has the lengthy feature about the "making of" Eraserhead, in which Lynch talks with Jack Nance's wife (the Log Lady).

#3 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

So, wait, is this version not done by Lynch himself? I thought he had exclusive R1 rights.

#4 Sara

Sara

• 195 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:02 AM

I just watched Eraserhead (on the new DVD that has David Lynch talking at length about making the film.)

Honestly, it was the weirdest, most surreal movie I have ever seen.

Perhaps Bunuel's Un Chien Andalou would come close. And maybe Bunuel's L'Age d'Or and Phantom of Liberty.

It was a strange experience, and I enjoyed it even though I scratched my head throughout.

What did others here think about it?

Sara

#5 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

Sara, I'm with you. That was the strangest film I've seen. I don't know if I "liked" it. I definitely laughed out loud and felt some genuine emotions and was thinking the whole time. But I felt illiterate. I would love to hear someone who has more experience with this kind of film talk about it. Perhaps it is good to feel illiterate sometimes and just let your intuition and body process the images. But that's a little scary and maybe dangerous.

#6 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

It's one of my all-time favorites, but I haven't seen it in probably 12 years. I feel a little unqualified to talk much about it having not seen it recently. The surrealism is great, and I think your comparison to Bu˝uel is perfect, but Cocteau's The Blood of a Poet comes to mind even more.

It's a great experience but an understanding of everything Lynch went through to make it enhances it all the more. As I understand it, the artists lived together in community for five years to create and work together. It must've been so fascinating for everyone involved. There was also a death during that time... There's some great trivia to be found here.

Perhaps when I watch it again, I'll try to dig deeper into it. Your post about its strangeness makes me want to go back and take another look. But I swore that the next time I'd watch it would be on a movie screen, and I've not yet had that opportunity.

-s.

#7 anglicanbeachparty

anglicanbeachparty

• 231 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(stef @ May 23 2006, 01:50 PM) View Post

It's one of my all-time favorites, but I haven't seen it in probably 12 years. I feel a little unqualified to talk much about it having not seen it recently.

Same here, only for me, it's been more like 25 years. I saw it 10 or 12 times in theaters when I lived in Manhattan during the late 1970s. I just love this film, but its been so long that I'll have to see it again before commenting too much. I love the buzzing lamp that he has with (if I recall) both inandescent and fluorescent bulbs. And I'll never look at a roast chicken the same way again!

#8 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,056 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Since this GIF troubled me today, I feel compelled to share it:

Posted Image