Photo

Best of 2001

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Christian

Christian

• 10,955 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

Me? Using the [url="http://en.wikipedia....ilms"]Wikipedia list of 2001 films[/url

Thanks for that link! Rather than restate the favorites mentioned here -- many of which, in retrospect, don't seem as interesting to me 10 years later as they did at the time -- I figured I'd use the list to dig up films from 2001 that I still need to see.

The one that stands out: Lovely and Amazing. I've fallen pretty hard for Nicole Holofcener, but have only seen two of her later films. Her 2001 film doesn't appear on anyone's list (so far), so maybe no one else has seen it, or it's just not Top 10 worthy for that year.

Edited by Christian, 02 July 2011 - 06:54 AM.

#22 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,524 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

I started watching it, liked it, but then had to send it back before I could finish it because I needed to get another movie for class. I'll come back to it sometime.

You should. If nothing else, ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU-CHOU is a fascinating exercise in style.

Me? Using the Wikipedia list of 2001 films

Thanks for that link! Rather than restate the favorites mentioned here -- many of which, in retrospect, don't seem as interesting to me 10 years later as they did at the time -- I figured I'd use the list to dig up films from 2001 that I still need to see.

You're welcome.

That said, my experience with my favorites of 2001 has been opposite of yours. I've found myself falling deeper and deeper in love with films like A.I.: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU-CHOU, and MULHOLLAND DRIVE, all of which were films that initially left me a little cold.

#23 Christian

Christian

• 10,955 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

That said, my experience with my favorites of 2001 has been opposite of yours. I've found myself falling deeper and deeper in love with films like A.I.: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU-CHOU, and MULHOLLAND DRIVE, all of which were films that initially left me a little cold.

My wife bought me an A.I. DVD at a yard sale in the past year. "Didn't you like it?" she asked. "Not really, but maybe I will if I watch it again," I said.

Still haven't watched it.

#24 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Was trying to find a thread on here for Amelie but couldn't find one...is there one?