Photo

New Book Club

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Select the Next Reading

Which book should the Book Club Discuss Next?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,125 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

Edited by kenmorefield, 24 January 2007 - 10:22 PM.

#2 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:27 AM

Thanks to Ken for creating the poll. We can keep it here in Short-term until next Monday, then make the selection. Depending on which book is chosen, we'll decide how to structure the discussion.

#3 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,340 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

For what it's worth, I'm the lone vote for The Meaning of Jesus. I chose it mostly because I'd like to begin reading more in "theology" (for lack of a better word) and because I think I'd benefit more from a discussion that is outside of my comfort zone. If it comes down to a tie between Gilead and The Kite Runner, I'd prefer Gilead, which I've been meaning to read for some time.

#4 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:36 PM

Two other "faith-based" books that I plan to read in the next six months (oh, and I always do what I plan to do) that might make nice Book Club subjects are (1) a new book Huston Smith has written about Christianity, and (2) that book by Professor Jenkins about the rise of the faith in the third-world.

#5 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:47 PM

Both of those books sound good, Russ. I read The Meaning of Jesus back in college when the Jesus Seminar debates about the historical Jesus were all the rage. It would be an interesting choice.

#6 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,720 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

I nominated The Meaning of Jesus--but voted for Gilead. As a newbie to the Book Club, I am happy to try and participate with whatever choice is made. I must confess, I am a very big Wright fan, so would certainly not mind discussing that one and its a nice intro to his thought as well as the dialogue between "liberal" and "conservative" views of Jesus. I suggested this book over in one of the Religion threads, and think it would be a great choice for a discussion, either here, or in a wider audience.

As far as discussion goes, I think it and The Life of Pi, and it sounds like the CS Lewis/Freud book are probably the most enabling--there's a legitimate tension in all of them which can be wrestled with, debated, and processed. The Kite Runner, while certainly a good and exciting (horrifying?) read, I think, will take a bit more work. Not that that's a bad thing.

BTW, off topic, Doug--True Grit definitely cured me of the chick flickishness of Bride and Prejudice--now I need to add another Dreyer to my queue!

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,473 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:04 AM

I'll throw in an extra vote for The Meaning of Jesus, since it's the one book whose authors I've interviewed. smile.gif

#8 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:20 AM

All right, now we've got a legitimate horse race going smile.gif (and here I thought Life of Pi was going to gather the most steam).

If none of these pull ahead by Monday, we can handle it a couple of ways - either hold a tie-breaker poll, or have a general discussion for a day or two to decide on a winner. Assuming that these parts'll be quiet between Christmas and New Year's, I'll plan on setting up a "featured discussion" thread shortly after Jan. 1.

#9 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

Ack! Being new to this poll thing, I clicked on "view results" and it nulled my vote...so I wasn't able to vote! How sad. I will let it be known here and now that I wanted to vote for Life of Pi. sad.gif

Edited by Doug C, 17 December 2005 - 07:32 PM.

#10 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:07 PM

Ken, I owe you my life.

#11 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:09 AM

We have a winner .... I'll post this in Literature thread, too, along with some general feedback questions about how to beef up our book club discussions. Thanks to everyone who voted! (and Doug, who wanted to vote but couldn't wink.gif, and Ken, who voted but won't be participating ... unless maybe we send out our book club goons to "make him an offer he can't refuse" ... whaddya think, goons? butcher.gif )

(Just joking, Ken)

#12 Ann D.

Ann D.

Skylarking Maggie, the Musical Thinker

• 579 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Is anyone up for a new book discussion?

#13 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,125 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Sep 11 2006, 11:35 AM) View Post

And, Mark -- or kenmorefield -- perhaps we should close this topic and start a new poll? Maybe?

I'm not sure I know how to close a topic, but I'll be happy to do so if given instructions.
I opened this one for Mark when he was starting last discussion because he had a hard time making a poll.

Peace.
Ken

#14 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:53 PM

at what sort of pace do you go in this book club? I might be interested.

#15 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,720 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(yank_eh @ Sep 13 2006, 12:53 AM) View Post

at what sort of pace do you go in this book club? I might be interested.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

#16 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 388 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

Did this thing die? Or is there another thread for the new book?

#17 Macsherlock

Macsherlock

• 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

I'll throw in an extra vote for The Meaning of Jesus, since it's the one book whose authors I've interviewed. style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Yeah I would like to discuss the Borg/Wright differences.