• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

Talk about serendipity... this discussion has made me want to revisit Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden, and lo, they're already loaded onto my iPhone.

#22 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 364 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Talk about serendipity... this discussion has made me want to revisit Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden, and lo, they're already loaded onto my iPhone.

I listened to both last night after reading this thread. Still two of my favorite albums. Gonna have some Mark Hollis tonight.

#23 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

Two months later I'm still deep in my Talk Talk Phase, which today expanded to include the two Bark Psychosis LPs. I have listened to pop/rock music obsessively for nearly 35 years. I still don't understand how I missed this stuff. (Actually, the likely culprit is all of the pot I smoked in the late-80s and early-90s, which, regrettably, ushered in my Jam Band Phase.)

Edited by Darren H, 02 June 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#24 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Darren's progression puts a huge smile on my face.

#25 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

I've known of this band and the reputation of Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden for a while. But I never really listened to them until, well, now. I went to YouTube and put on "New Grass," based on some comments Jason made above.

:LAKJSDkj;skdfjalwkjdsd

#26 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

I hadn't even noticed your mention of Bark Psychosis in the first post, Jason. Today I was listening to a Napster "Talk Talk Automix," which was mostly run-of-the-mill New Wave pop music. But once an hour or so it would drop in a track from Codename: Dustsucker, which would immediately shake me out of my coding/copying/pasting daze. I finally cued up the whole album and have been listening to it and Hex on a loop for several hours now.

Edited by Darren H, 02 June 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#27 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,487 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

(...my Jam Band Phase.)

This is something we can all agree not to talk about, right?

#28 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

Those were dark times, man. The Gulf War, a dozen years of Reagan and Bush, everything out of Seattle was so bleak. Widespread Panic spoke to me, man.

As did my roommate's bong.

:)

Edited by Darren H, 02 June 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#29 old wave

old wave

• 117 posts

:LAKJSDkj;skdfjalwkjdsd

Yeah, basically.

#30 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

This is something we can all agree not to talk about, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHIFM0Y87c

#31 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

HA! I hadn't seen that one. Shredding videos will never get old.

#32 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,358 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

One thing that's become obvious after listening to Codename: Dustsucker several more times is that much of my love for those late Talk Talk records can be attributed to Lee Harris's drumming.

#33 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Tentatively schedule for Spring 2012: Spirit of Talk Talk.

Celebrated illustrator, and Talk Talk cover artist, James Marsh has remastered and chronicled all of the iconic artwork that he produced for the band throughout their 10 year reign in the 80’s. The book will feature James’ original cover concept sketches, hand written lyrics from Mark Hollis, as well as various ephemera, posters, and related items of interest to fans. There will also be lovely unseen photos of the band from 3 sessions with photographer Richard Haughton.

Renowned rock music writer and enormous Talk Talk fan Chris Roberts is writing the main essay and there are also 80 written contributions from bands, label owners, DJs and creatives, all of whom have been inspired or influenced by the music and art of Talk Talk.

Some of the artists contributing essays include Alan Wilder (Depeche Mode), Richard Reed Parry (Arcade Fire), Richard Wright (Pink Floyd), Jonathan Meiburg (Shearwater), and Graham Sutton (Bark Psychosis).

Edited by opus, 09 December 2011 - 11:46 AM.

#34 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Talk Talk: Live at Montreux 1986 is now streaming on Netflix. I watched it last night, and posted some random thoughts.

#35 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Talk Talk: Live at Montreux 1986 is now streaming on Netflix. I watched it last night, and posted some random thoughts.

Watched it this weekend. John Turnbull's "hip bag" was incredibly distracting.

#36 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

Mark Hollis will have some new music in the TV show Boss.