Photo

Amadeus

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#41 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,874 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

vjmorton's post:

When I looked at AMADEUS again a week ago for this blogathon, I had religious questions and issues in the front of my head because I had told Bilge in vague terms that I would write something about how the character of God is presented. This caused me to look more closely at the ways in which Salieri describes his piety, and to privilege mentions of religiously-fraught details. Viewed in that light, the film turned itself upside-down from how I had previously seen it. Never before had I seen how spiritually inevitable it was and how Salieri’s undoing was the result of his own vices, which he sees as virtues. AMADEUS is not the story of a pious man cruelly treated by a Tyrant-god given to cosmic jokes (though that IS how Salieri presents it). Rather, it is the story of an impiously proud man who tries to exercise Providence as if he himself were God. . . .

Next consider the event that happens after the boyhood prayer, which Salieri calls a “miracle” and the answer to his supplication. His father suddenly died, and as a result the young boy could go off to study music. Really? That was his reaction to his father’s death? To absorb it as an opportunity and a gift from God? And not because his father was portrayed as bad in any way other than not cooperating with the young boy’s career ambition (i.e., not in a way even possibly arguably maybe worthy of wishing death or being grateful for it). Given the Bible and the Church’s frequent use of “Father” imagery to refer to God, is it really so surprising that Salieri would come to desire the death of the heavenly Father he has not seen as eagerly as he did the death of the worldly father he had? . . .