Frank Miller and Batman take on Al Qaeda

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:01 PM

In the "I swear, I am not making this up" story of the week, IGN Comics is reporting that Frank Miller is writing a Batman story involving terrorist attacks in Gotham City perpetuated by Al-Qaeda.

Miller proudly announced the title of his next Batman book, which he will write, draw and ink. Holy Terror, Batman! is no joke. And Miller doesn't hold back on the true purpose of the book, calling it "a piece of propoganda," where 'Batman kicks al Qaeda's ass."

The reason for this work, Miller said, was "an explosion from my gut reaction of what's happening now." He can't stand entertainers who lack the moxie of their '40s counterparts who stood up to Hitler. Holy Terror is "a reminder to people who seem to have forgotten who we're up against."

Hopefully (and I mean HOPEFULLY) this may be better than Miller's current "All-Star Batman + Robin". (Did I say hopefully?)

Edited by Clint M, 14 February 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#2 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:38 AM

Most excellent...

Regarding Gotham, is it the DC comic replica of New York? If so, what is Metropolis? Chicago?

#3 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE(Michael Todd @ Feb 15 2006, 12:38 AM) View Post

Most excellent...

Regarding Gotham, is it the DC comic replica of New York? If so, what is Metropolis? Chicago?

I think it's a replica city, but in the DC Universe, New York City co-exists with Gotham. For example, in the "A Death in the Family" storyline (where Jason Todd - better known as Robin II - is
Spoiler
), Batman eventually meets up with
Spoiler
at the UN Building in New York.

The geographical locations in the DC Universe are often vague. We know that Metropolis is a few hours from Smallville (Smallville is referenced in several books being located in Kansas), and that Gotham may or may not - depending on the book - be far away from Metropolis. But there are never any states, to my knowledge, given to specifically locate where those cities are located in the US.

(Then again, the entire DC Universe is getting a reboot of sorts with the "Infinite Crisis" storyline, so who knows?)

Edited by Clint M, 15 February 2006 - 02:13 AM.

#4 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,124 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(Clint M @ Feb 14 2006, 10:01 PM) View Post
In the "I swear, I am not making this up" story of the week, IGN Comics is reporting that Frank Miller is writing a Batman story involving terrorist attacks in Gotham City perpetuated by Al-Qaeda.
Huh. Seems to me Batman Begins more or less got there first. I mean, the League of Shadows might as well be al-Queda. A secret society, dedicated to exterminating decadent societies, led by Arabic-named Ra's al-Ghul, uses weapons of mass destruction on urban populations, uses decapitation of prisoners, primary weapon is literally terror.

Not that I won't still be interested in Miller's take, potentially. Don't know his current "All-Star Batman + Robin," but if it washes the foul taste of DK2 out of my mouth (yeecch!), I'll be happy.

#5 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

Aside: Anyone seen the preview to Sam Kieth's Batman: Secrets?

Heeeeeeeeeeee.

#6 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(Jason Bortz @ Feb 15 2006, 10:28 AM) View Post

Heeeeeeeeeeee.

Alright, I love his The Maxx work, and he's got some great style, but...

No. It's just wrong to draw Batman that way. Not acceptable.

#7 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

All I know is that Central City is less than twenty miles from me in Muhlenberg County (the same county that John Prine sings about), and rather than being the home of Flash, it's the home of the Everly Brothers.

Alan, wouldn't Philadelphia's DC comics replica be Keystone City? I'm starting to think these DC artists got their inspiration for city names from 1880 baseball club names, i.e., the New York Gothams and Philadelphia Keystones.

#8 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,994 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Gotham is kinda where Newark, NJ is. Metropolis is around Wilmington, DE.

#9 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,965 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(CrimsonLine @ Feb 15 2006, 03:44 PM) View Post

Gotham is kinda where Newark, NJ is. Metropolis is around Wilmington, DE.

You're right Crimson. I remember reading that as well. If I can find the map of the "DC Universe" I'll post it.

#10 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:45 AM

I just read recently where DC Comics now have a Muslim Superhero. Check out the Islamic version of the Justic League.

#11 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:05 AM

Just in case you've ever wondered, Superman is a Methodist.

Edited by Michael Todd, 16 February 2006 - 04:11 AM.

#12 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(SZPT @ Feb 15 2006, 09:05 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Jason Bortz @ Feb 15 2006, 10:28 AM) View Post

Heeeeeeeeeeee.

Alright, I love his The Maxx work, and he's got some great style, but...

No. It's just wrong to draw Batman that way. Not acceptable.

Dude, he's drawn him before. Several times. Spidey too. And Hulk. And Wolverine.

You just need to CHILL!!!

#13 SDG

SDG

• 9,124 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Michael Todd @ Feb 16 2006, 06:05 AM) View Post
Just in case you've ever wondered, Superman is a Methodist.
I see they have Spider-Man listed as "Protestant." In traditional comic-book continuity, maybe, but in the movies he seems to be Catholic (e.g., the holy-water stoup by the front door in the Parker house).

JMS's run on Spider-Man has done interesting things with religion, mostly in terms of Peter's running inner monologue (?) addressing God. Recently when he "died" fighting Morlun, Peter's final thoughts were taken from Psalm 23 ("Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me"). Also, when Tracer made a comment to Aunt May about hmans creating their own gods, Aunt May replied, "God created people, Tommy, not the other way around."

#14 SDG

SDG

• 9,124 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

Based on demographics alone, it's astonishing how many super-heroes appear to be Jewish.

[Chariots of Fire]Perhaps they're the chosen people after all.[/Chariots of Fire]

#15 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

Why didn't I peg SDG as a comic reader...???

#16 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(Jason Bortz @ Feb 16 2006, 09:34 AM) View Post

Dude, he's drawn him before. Several times. Spidey too. And Hulk. And Wolverine.

You just need to CHILL!!!

biggrin.gif ... smile.gif ... unsure.gif ... huh.gif ... dry.gif

#17 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,994 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

Wilmington's its location, not its model.

#18 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,994 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

They want to keep it near Gotham, but not eclipse NYC, Philla, or any of the other major Eastern Seaboard cities. Bludhaven is somewhere in there, too.

#19 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,965 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:57 PM

I knew I had seen a map of the DC Universe somewhere, and I found it here (apparently the info is from the DC RPG from Mayfair circa 1990, and the Secret Files: Guide to the DC Universe circa 2000).

It confirms what I always thought, that Gotham is in New Jersey, and Metropolis in Deleware (apparently Blüdhaven is in Jersey too, close to Gotham).

[attachmentid=505]

Attached Files

Edited by Anders, 16 February 2006 - 07:59 PM.

#20 Jim Tudor

Jim Tudor

• 70 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:02 AM

Bludhaven is somewhere in there, too.

Not any more! w00t.gif

Regarding this Metropolis/Gotham business, I've always thought that Metropolis was everything bright and good about NYC, while Gotham was everything dark and less desireable. One gives us those bright metropolitian gleaming skyscrapers and the hustle and bustle of big American city life, the other takes us to the dark under bellies and crime alleys. It never occured to me to obsess over it any further than that.

As for Frank Miller, I dunno, I'm beginnning to think he should stay in Texas with Robert Rodriguez making "Sin City" movies for the foreseeable future. All his comic work in recent times has been pretty attrocious, bordering on super-hero sacrilige. "All-Star Batman and Robin" is, as Brian Bendis put it politely in a recent interview, "a corker". I think it's pretty obvious that DC simply pulled up to Miller's and Jim Lee's houses with big dump trucks full of money, emptying them in exchange for their doing carte blanche interpretation of Batman. The guys would be fools to turn down such a thing, but did they really have to go and create this... this... weird mockery?? The sad part about it is that DC could've learned this lesson perfectly well five years ago with DK2, but they obviously did not. I suppose it is possible that All-Star Batman & Robin could turn around and become an okay title beyond it's most recent third issue (which is now a few months old), but the other All-Star title, Superman, has proven in only two issues that a carte blanche interpretation of a super hero icon can indeed be wonderful. I'm not holding my breath for Miller to pull this one out.

I'm probably being overly harsh on Lee, but what the hay, I've never been a huge fan of his stuff. As for Miller, I just wish he'd leave Batman alone at this point. Al Qaeda? Do we really need that? And shouldn't he, at the very least, get caught up on the book he's currently supposed to be penning? (For those not in the know, ASB&R is chronically very, very, late.) To be fair, I did recently read that Jim Lee admitted the book's tardiness was his fault for overbusying himself. But that only goes to show that he's not taking his duty to the book very seriously, either.

With only two chronically late titles, DC's All-Star brand seems to have fizzeled out already. Did they run out of "all-stars" to create the books, I wonder? An All-Star Wonder Woman is a must, as that's the major character who could use such re-imagining the most. Why not dump a bunch of cash on Joss Whedon, and let him give some of his WW ideas a test run before his feature film rolls around to production?

Anyhow, I've gotten off track a little, but at least it's a little more on track than the DC geography stuff... tongue.gif

JiM T