• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#21 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(Tim Willson @ Mar 14 2006, 11:52 AM) View Post

We enjoy Pit with the right group of friends, and dominos (yes, Mexican Train, and sometimes Chicken Feet). Stock Ticker and The Farming Game are good. We used to play Canasta once or twice a week, but have played only once in the past few years.

When I was in college we'd have gansta rap nights. We'd by 40's of Old English, pump Snoop and Dre, and play dominos. Good times.

#22 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,159 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

My wife and I are avid board game players. Our present favorite is 'Ticket to Ride.' Kyle, have you tried the European version - a bit more complex than the US map. A German version is also due to come out next month. Your age range has been accurate for my household anyway - my 8 year old positively loves both versions and is able to play quite competently.

We also enjoy Carcassonne quite a bit - I love how the gameplay for both this and 'Ticket' varies so dramatically from game to game. We have fun, too, with 'Zombies,' although the cards are a bit gruesome.

Thanks for mentioning 'Settlers' - we'll have to check it out.

#23 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

Are the more obscure games mentioned in this thread only buyable online, or are there any stores that carry them? I'd like to find a copy of Ticket to Ride for a birthday that's a month and a half away.

#24 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

I don't know what franchises are where, but in my area, you can buy most of the games cited in this thread at Hobbytown USA or I recommend one of those comic book shops where 40 year old men and awkward teenagers sit around on Friday and Saturday nights playing Magic the Gathering.

#25 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

Russ- As Michael said, Hobby shops and online are the best way to buy most of these games. My wife got me Ticket to Ride for my birthday at a Hobby/RPG store. Settlers of Catan is really popular around here so I check Target and Barnes and Noble from time to time but have never seen them for sale. The closest is at Christmas time mall Kiosks have them.

Andrew-Glad to see some Carcassone love. My wife and I like it because it can be a two-player game that has strategy but you can actually talk to each other during the game. Over time we became a bit too competitive about getting into each others fields and have instituted a limit of two game pieces devoted to fields. It has saved alot of arguments and frustrations after someone swoops in at the end and collects every single field.

I haven't tried the European version of Ticket to Ride. I wish you could rent board games. It is sometimes scary to purchase a game cold turkey. You never know how much you'll like it. I did see a game at a Hobby shop that looked alot like Ticket to Ride, but it was also set in the US, not Europe or Germany. I can't remember the name of it. Looked good though.

#26 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,159 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

Russ - if you're unable to find it locally, both Amazon and Days of Wonder (link here) sell it online for $39.99, the price for which I bought it locally. I'm not sure what the shipping cost would be, though...

Edited by Andrew, 27 March 2006 - 05:12 PM.

#27 The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man

• 505 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:21 AM

I play mainly chess these days, but I used to be completely bonkers for German board games (why are all the best board game designers German?). I find Settlers of Catan and Carcassone to be too luck driven for my taste, but I really like Aladdin's Dragons, Java, El Grande, Princes of Florence, Stephenson's Rocket, Taj Mahal, Adel Verpflichtet and Puerto Rico.

I am also very happy to see that the Games Workshop's classic Fury of Dracula has just been re-released by Fantasy Flight. I hope they have done the game justice.

Edited by The Invisible Man, 20 April 2006 - 09:24 AM.

#28 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,689 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

I put off playing Catan for years; lots of friends were almost cult-ish about it in college. That drove me nuts. They would whisper to each other and use weird words and I would hear "settlers" pop up randomly in conversations. They may have even had some sort of coded hand signals.

Regardless, I gave the game a whirl a few months ago. What fun! I can't wait to play it again.

I'm also a big fan of Clue.

#29 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

I've actually also started to play Dungeons and Dragons. A couple of my youth group kids are really in to it and they invited me to play with them on Tuesday's and Thursday's after school at their high school. Holy cow, the game is complex, but its surprisingly fun. Incredibly geeky, but pretty fun. It's also been a great way to get to know more kids throughout the school.

#30 The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man

• 505 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

I missed one: Modern Art. The game looks ugly as hell, but the system is fabulous, being very easy to learn and incredibly addictive. It's Reiner Knizia's masterpiece.

Edited by The Invisible Man, 20 April 2006 - 12:23 PM.

#31 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,689 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(Kyle @ Apr 20 2006, 12:58 PM) View Post

I've actually also started to play Dungeons and Dragons. A couple of my youth group kids are really in to it and they invited me to play with them on Tuesday's and Thursday's after school at their high school. Holy cow, the game is complex, but its surprisingly fun. Incredibly geeky, but pretty fun. It's also been a great way to get to know more kids throughout the school.

Should we consider RPGs as board games? I'm definitely a huge (closet) role-playing game nerd, so I can rant on for hours about this sort of thing.

#32 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

I guess they're technically not board games. Start a new thread on RPG and all the closet nerds smile.gif will come out to play.

#33 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,984 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:35 PM

I love, LOVE, LOVE Settlers of Catan.

#34 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:02 PM

Does anyone here play Settlers of Catan online? I don't, but from the sounds of it, there are enough people for an A&F death match to determine the true Lord of Catan. 1st.gif

#35 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,984 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:45 AM

I did not even know there was such a thing!

#36 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:44 AM

I have never played Settlers of Catan online, but if anyone starts a game, and it's free, then I'll participate.

#37 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Michael Todd @ Apr 21 2006, 11:44 AM) View Post

I have never played Settlers of Catan online, but if anyone starts a game, and it's free, then I'll participate.

I'm up for that too.

#38 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

I don't know if this game is any good, but by chance, I found this game from a link on Wikipedia. It is called Universalis. It is an RPG, which I don't play, but it touts itself to be something I think I'd enjoy, if I had the time.

UNIVERSALIS IS:

The game where every player is the Game Master

The game where players can create
and populate the world as they desire as they play

The game where everything that happens,
happens because a player wanted it to happen

The game where suspense comes
from the actions of other players, not from a random roll.

The game whose plot evolves as you play
with no random tables, rail-roading, or scenario books

The game which requires absolutely
no set up or preparation time

The game where it doesn’t matter
if all of the players show up on time or at all

Begin play with only sheets of blank paper, pencils, ten-sided dice,
tokens, and plenty of imagination.

#39 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,984 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:41 PM

Online Catan is apparently for Windows users only...

#40 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,984 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

Yep