Favorite Board Games

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

Any board game freaks out there? On any given Friday or Saturday night there is a good chance you will find my wife and me with friends playing board games. Our favorites of late have been:

Settlers of Catan - This is the game by which all other games should be compared. I've heard it discribed as a cross between monopoly and risk. It's a great game as the board changes every time you play, Your goal is to "settle" Catan by building roads, settlements and cities. In order to do so you have to trade and build. It also has a number of additions: Seafarers of Catan and Cities and Nights of Catan. I guess there is also a "biblical" version of the game, although I'm not sure how it works.

Ticket to Ride - It won German game of the year in 2004. This actually means something as the Germans have been making some sweet games (Settlers of Catan). In this game you try to make train routes across the United States. The key is getting the good routes completed before your oppenents. It's surprisingly simple (8 years and up would be my guess), yet alot of fun.

Carcassone - This one is a bit hard to explain. It involves drawing tiles that are either field, road, church, city, or a combination of road/city/field or road/church/field. You then use your game pieces to "claim" them and earn points for completion.

I'm always for hearing about new games. What do you play?

#2 Ann D.

Ann D.

Skylarking Maggie, the Musical Thinker

• 579 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:34 PM

I love board games but have no one to play them with. Most of my friends and my family don't care for them. So I haven't played in awhile.

One that I used to like was Stratego. My brother and I would play that game on family vacations. I also love Trivia Pursuit.

Life, Clue, Yahtzee, Monopoly are a few others that I enjoy.

Oh, and Taboo! I love Taboo.

Edited by Ann D., 13 March 2006 - 05:35 PM.

#3 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Ann D. @ Mar 13 2006, 02:34 PM) View Post

Oh, and Taboo! I love Taboo.

Stupid buzzer! Once people start buzzing you, you're done! Fun game though. We like catch phrase also, which is pretty similar.

#4 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,906 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(Ann D. @ Mar 13 2006, 02:34 PM) View Post

One that I used to like was Stratego. My brother and I would play that game on family vacations.

There was a great bit in Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee's "Hush" storyline in Batman where it has a flashback of Bruce and his childhood friend playing Stratego. It was great. There was one moment where Tommy Elliot says to Bruce something along the lines of (don't have the particular issue with me here in Victoria), "But you forgot my most important piece." "But I got your General." "Nope...my SPY!"

#5 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,633 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

No board, just bones. Dominoes: Mexican Train. That's what the men did at our house during the Oscars.

#6 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,012 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

There's nothing I love more than a good, long, drawn-out game of Risk, with plenty of politics and back-stabbing involved.

#7 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,906 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

I can't belive no one has mentioned

AXIS & ALLIES!

#8 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

Registered Nurse, Amateur Historian, and Future Theologian

• 680 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

Kyle, I play Cities & Knight of Catan weekly. Two couples from Indiana moved here and started attending my church. They introduced the Settlers and Cities & Knights to my associate pastor and his wife. My associate pastor evangelized me, and I have spread it onto my best friend, his wife, and three kids, and to two other families. In total, I've won 12 people to Catan.

paladin.gif

If you want to PM me, my best friend and I've created many new and engaging variants to Catan. I'd be happy to explain to you what we affectionately call Communist Catan.

Alas, the greatest board game ever created, I play online by e-mail, but it is nearly impossible to find seven competent people for a face-to-face game of Diplomacy, the favorite game of John F. Kennedy and Henry Kissinger.

napoleon.gif

Edited by Michael Todd, 13 March 2006 - 11:46 PM.

#9 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(Kyle @ Mar 13 2006, 04:11 PM) View Post
Settlers of Catan - This is the game by which all other games should be compared. I've heard it discribed as a cross between monopoly and risk. It's a great game as the board changes every time you play, Your goal is to "settle" Catan by building roads, settlements and cities. In order to do so you have to trade and build. It also has a number of additions: Seafarers of Catan and Cities and Nights of Catan. I guess there is also a "biblical" version of the game, although I'm not sure how it works.

That would be Evangelists of Catan, and the fundie church down the street like to play there own variation called Snakehandlers of Catan.

Good times, good times.

#10 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:40 AM

You know the Mormons have a version of Settler of Catan, called Settlers of Zarahelma. Of course, I read on Orson Scott Card's website that he just played regular ol' Catan.

The Mormons make some fun board games though. I saw that Deseret has a board game division, and even one game called, It Came to Pass. I don't know anything about the game, but I have an idea of what it is like. You open up the Book of Mormon on any given page, and count how many times those exact words are used as a transitional phrase. I've played that very game in my Book of Mormon reading days, and on two pages with two columns of verses on each page, my personal best is finding It Came to Pass in nine seperate verses.

Whoever wins gets to punish the opposing players by reciting an extended version of the Monty Python sketch of the Holy Hand-Grenade of Antioch. It's fun times...

#11 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(SZPT @ Mar 13 2006, 10:33 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Kyle @ Mar 13 2006, 04:11 PM) View Post

That would be Evangelists of Catan, and the fundie church down the street like to play there own variation called Snakehandlers of Catan.

Good times, good times.

QUOTE(Michael Todd @ Mar 14 2006, 02:40 AM) View Post

You know the Mormons have a version of Settler of Catan, called Settlers of Zarahelma. Of course, I read on Orson Scott Card's website that he just played regular ol' Catan.

The Mormons make some fun board games though. I saw that Deseret has a board game division, and even one game called, It Came to Pass. I don't know anything about the game, but I have an idea of what it is like. You open up the Book of Mormon on any given page, and count how many times those exact words are used as a transitional phrase. I've played that very game in my Book of Mormon reading days, and on two pages with two columns of verses on each page, my personal best is finding It Came to Pass in nine seperate verses.

Whoever wins gets to punish the opposing players by reciting an extended version of the Monty Python sketch of the Holy Hand-Grenade of Antioch. It's fun times...

Good grief. wink.gif

#12 SZPT

SZPT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

Michael I can tell that, like me, you have played Corny Joketellers of Catan.

#13 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

SZPT, maybe that is what you call it. I call it the Apostates of Catan.

#14 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

I have a soft spot for board games. There's a closet filled with them in my parents' house, nostalgia from my childhood. Some of my favorites were Aggravation, Stay Alive, Life, Careers, and a game called Rules of the Road where we moved cars around roads printed on the board. When I was a kid, I thought that was a lot of fun. I liked to play with the Monopoly game pieces, though I never actually managed to finish a full game. Another game my brother and I got a kick out of was Stop Thief, because it had a remote control that gave sound effects for crimes, broken windows, police sirens, and footsteps.

I had friends that were a huge Cranium kick a couple of weeks ago, so we played once a week for a while. It was fun to play with the Playdoh. smile.gif

In our church, Mexican dominoes and Taboo have always been popular. I think Taboo and Pictionary are the official games of Christian youth gatherings. wink.gif

My favorite board game though is Pass the Pigs, where you roll plastic pigs like dice and score points if they land on their snouts or on their backs. geeky.gif

Edited by Crow, 14 March 2006 - 02:29 PM.

#15 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(Michael Todd @ Mar 13 2006, 09:42 PM) View Post

If you want to PM me, my best friend and I've created many new and engaging variants to Catan. I'd be happy to explain to you what we affectionately call Communist Catan.

Oh, do tell! I love Catan -- especially Knights and Cities (which a friend has). I have Settlers and Seafarers, but we don't play Seafarers much for some reason. Catan is likely tops in our house, but Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit are a close second and third.

We enjoy Pit with the right group of friends, and dominos (yes, Mexican Train, and sometimes Chicken Feet). Stock Ticker and The Farming Game are good. We used to play Canasta once or twice a week, but have played only once in the past few years.

#16 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:02 PM

Bravo really needs to make a TV show called Celebrity Cities & Knights of Catan. I'd watch it.

#17 Ann D.

Ann D.

Skylarking Maggie, the Musical Thinker

• 579 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

I used to love Hungry Hungry Hippo. That was probably my favorite game as a kid.

#18 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Crow @ Mar 14 2006, 11:28 AM) View Post

My favorite board game though is Pass the Pigs, where you roll plastic pigs like dice and score points if they land on their snouts or on their backs. geeky.gif

Makin' Bacon!!

QUOTE(Tim Willson @ Mar 14 2006, 11:52 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Michael Todd @ Mar 13 2006, 09:42 PM) View Post

Oh, do tell! I love Catan -- especially Knights and Cities (which a friend has). I have Settlers and Seafarers, but we don't play Seafarers much for some reason. Catan is likely tops in our house, but Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit are a close second and third.

Personally, I've only played Knights and Cities once. I really enjoyed it, but haven't been in the mood to fork out another $40 for the expansion. We have Seafarers, but we too don't play it that often. I think it's because it takes too long to set up. We only play it if we know we can get a good two or three games in. It's fun to play though for the mere fact that sheep are actually worth something.

#19 SZPT

SZPT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(Michael Todd @ Mar 14 2006, 12:56 PM) View Post

SZPT, maybe that is what you call it. I call it the Apostates of Catan.

to-MAY-to, to-MAH-to wink.gif

#20 Michael Todd

Michael Todd

• 680 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Tim Willson @ Mar 14 2006, 01:52 PM) View Post

Communist Catan -- No one negotiates trades. No one loses half their cards if seven is rolled. Also, city walls are meaningless, so if you get an Engineer card, you can put that at the bottom and get another. Everyone holds seven cards, and if you get over that, you lay out anything you want to get rid of in a pile in front of you. Another player on their turn can take something from your pile in one-to-one trades only. This game was created because of three player games which turned into two-on-one grudge matches and because it speeds up a friend who takes forever to make moves.

Quick Catan -- To make a game significantly faster, instead of following the rules which say only give out resource cards for the city you placed, hand out resource cards for the settlement places and resource and commodity cards for the city placed. This simple act cuts game length in half. I suggest it if you give Communist Catan a try. Alas, I play with my associate pastor at times, and he's a Pharisee that can't tolerate this perversion.

United Nations Catan -- You can only trade with other nations that connect to your roads, or that you could reach if you extended your road.

Desert Fortress Catan -- If you build on the desert, you get to hold one extra card from the robber if you have a settlement there, two if you have a city.

Nehemiah Catan -- If you or another player completely surrounds a hexagon tile with roads, then the robber can't be placed there. It's too heavily patrolled.