General Comic Book Discussion

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Jim Tudor

Jim Tudor

• 70 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(WNGL @ Jul 3 2006, 10:08 AM) View Post

I've not read the Walking Dead books! After laughing myself into hysterics with every issue of Marvel Zombies...

The folks at the comic shop I sometimes work in have been telling me the same thing about "Marvel Zombies", which I simply missed the boat on. I hadn't yet read "Walking Dead" at the time, and thought "Zombies" looked like another goofy gimmick, and nothing more. Guess I was wrong! I will be gettting the trade at first opportunity. But yeah - likewise, based on what you say about "Zombies" - I think you'd really love "Walking Dead". It not funny zombies, but man is it good.

Also forgot to mention that I adore what Morrison and Quitely are doing on All-Star Superman.

Yes! I realized I too forgot to mention that series. I didn't care much for the third issue, but I really loved the other three for the reasons you say. I thought Morrison's take on Doomsday in #4 was ingenious. If only the real Death of Superman event would've been even a third as good. Ah well, that's ancient history. I'm one of those people who, like David Carradine's Bill, loves the idea of Superman, but can't quite get on board any of the monthly publications. I really do love and admire the messianic elements of the big guy, (and hence, loved "Superman Returns" - just saw it last night) but the movies (ones that matter) actually resonate more with me than most of his comic stories. Although "Superman for all Seasons" was awfully good...

If you like Warren Ellis at all, Nextwave is him at his best.

Never got into him, although he's one of those writers that other writers I do like really dig. All I really know oif him is his bizarrre guest spot in the early issue of "Powers". That was nutty!

I haven't read Brubaker's Cap either. The whole "Winter Soldier" thing sort of rang false to me (funny how it coincided with the return of Jason Todd. Coincidence?)

I didn't read the whole Jason Todd thing, since I thought it was wrong on principle to bring him back. I was a little relieved to read that that it was an Infinite Crisis manipulation, and not just another "he was never dead at all!" thing. But yeah, the comparison has been made to me before. But is the timetable exact? "Winter Soldier" has been going for a year and a half now, whereas I'm not sure about the return of Jason Todd. "Hush" did precede everythng else I'm talking about, so there is that, if that counts. (Don't know.) I guess I'm not opposed to
Spoiler
returning since that death was so long ago, and didn't affect me as personally like Jason Todd's death did. (I called that 1-900 twice to vote for him to live.)

#42 WNGL

WNGL

• 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:04 AM

I didn't realise Jason Todd came back as part of the Crisis... I suppose everything in DC is wrapped up in that somehow. ;D

Boy, All Star Superman is just the best. Don't ask me what's going on his regular titles, I haven't read one since Stern and Guice were doing Action Comics. I like Morrison telling encapsulate tales, it harkens back to Weisinger/Schwartz days, when every Superman comic was a self-contained adventure. Continuity has become such a chain around the necks of so many mainstays. It's refreshing just to see the character being who they are without trying to figure out what kind of real life problem they can tackle this month.

Are you a fan of Marvel Comics? What is your background with comics in general?

#43 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(WNGL @ Jul 5 2006, 10:04 AM) View Post

I didn't realise Jason Todd came back as part of the Crisis... I suppose everything in DC is wrapped up in that somehow. ;D

Kind of. He came back in the Jeph Loeb penned "Hush" storyline, which ran for 13-14 issues in Batman. It wasn't until Crisis (Batman Annual #25, actually) that we found out Superboy-Prime was behind part of it.

Boy, All Star Superman is just the best. Don't ask me what's going on his regular titles, I haven't read one since Stern and Guice were doing Action Comics. I like Morrison telling encapsulate tales, it harkens back to Weisinger/Schwartz days, when every Superman comic was a self-contained adventure. Continuity has become such a chain around the necks of so many mainstays. It's refreshing just to see the character being who they are without trying to figure out what kind of real life problem they can tackle this month.

Yeah, but it's very very trippy. One person I talked to said it was like reading Superman while tripping out on acid. It's nice to see some originality, unlike Frank Miller's All-Star Batman + Robin, which is a bit silly at points.

Civil War... I don't know. I think the Spider-Man titles handled the
Spoiler
fairly well, and keeping Jameson's reaction in character was perfect. Hopefully this won't end up like another House of M debaucle, where everything goes back to normal in a few months time.

#44 WNGL

WNGL

• 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

[quote] It's nice to see some originality, unlike Frank Miller's All-Star Batman + Robin, which is a bit silly at points.[/quote]

I cannot tell you all the ways I despise All Star Batman+Robin. The worst thing about it? It is totally boring to read and look at, and with such potential too...

[quote]I think the Spider-Man titles handled the
Spoiler
fairly well, and keeping Jameson's reaction in character was perfect. Hopefully this won't end up like another House of M debaucle, where everything goes back to normal in a few months time.
[/quote][/quote]

Remember how they resolved Captain America revealing his identity? After experiencing loads of problems as Steve Rogers, he simply faked his death and left behind a mask, as if Steve Rogers had been a disquise under his mask. Somehow I don't think Peter Parker can resume his secret identity that neatly, especially seeing how intrinsic it is to his life and friends.

I'll have to look at the Spidey titles to see how they're handling it. The sooner they get him back in webs, the better!

#45 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(WNGL @ Jul 5 2006, 12:55 PM) View Post

Remember how they resolved Captain America revealing his identity? After experiencing loads of problems as Steve Rogers, he simply faked his death and left behind a mask, as if Steve Rogers had been a disquise under his mask. Somehow I don't think Peter Parker can resume his secret identity that neatly, especially seeing how intrinsic it is to his life and friends.

I'll have to look at the Spidey titles to see how they're handling it. The sooner they get him back in webs, the better!

I'm not the biggest Marvel guy, so I'll have to visit the Captain America wikipedia page and catch up. As far as Spidey goes, they should have revealed it in Amazing Spider-Man, and not in Civil War. Straczynski did a nice job on the follow up story, although he's going to have his hands full with freaking out the readers. Remember the Sins Past storyline? Gwen was quite tarnished after that.

#46 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:48 AM

I also read Walking Dead in trades. Along with that one I get Fables and Ex Machina in trade.

I get the monthlies for Runaways, Y: the Last Man, Ulitmate, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-Men, X-Factor, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Astonishing X-Men. There are a couple others, but my memory is foggy...

#47 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,959 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

Oh man, I wanna echo the praise that All Star Superman has been getting. Easily the most enjoyable Superman related storytelling in ages and ages (just for the record I disliked Superman Returns but don't really have anything to add to the debate).

If I had to narrow my comic book buying down to two titles a month (not that that's likely to happen given my willpower), I would have to say that superheroes can say goodbye: Conan and Y: The Last Man are far and away my favourite titles out there in terms of consistent writing, art and sheer entertainment (Note: Both titles might reasonably be given an R-rating; they're not for kiddies).

#48 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(Anders @ Jul 8 2006, 10:36 PM) View Post

If I had to narrow my comic book buying down to two titles a month (not that that's likely to happen given my willpower), I would have to say that superheroes can say goodbye: Conan and Y: The Last Man are far and away my favourite titles out there in terms of consistent writing, art and sheer entertainment (Note: Both titles might reasonably be given an R-rating; they're not for kiddies).

Of course, Y is in it's last year or so. So one should not have to worry about making that sacrifice. smile.gif

#49 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:28 AM

Anders:

Conan and Y: The Last Man are far and away my favourite titles out there in terms of consistent writing, art and sheer entertainment

I've been wondering when Y: The Last Man would be brought up here... This rag is better than TV.

Seriously, I haven't been this entertained by a comic since I was 13. It's funny and has got a premise as addictive as the first season of Lost... I don't presume to ask for more.

Nezpop:

Of course, Y is in it's last year or so.

And speaking of Lost... This might even have a satisfactory conclusion.

#50 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:36 AM

Anyone else read Runaways? Anyone else excited that Joss Whedn is taking the reigns in a few issues?

#51 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Nezpop @ Sep 15 2006, 11:36 AM) View Post

Anyone else read Runaways? Anyone else excited that Joss Whedn is taking the reigns in a few issues?

A little surprising, but he did say it was his favorite comic book. Hopefully the writing will be a little better than the second and third arcs for Astonishing X-Men.

Sheese. Between this and the Wonder Woman movie (which, as it's looking, may get off the ground by the time they make a fourth Indiana Jones film), he'll never find his way back to television. huh.gif

I will agree with others about Y: The Last Man. We are finally(!) going to find out in issue 50 what caused the plague and why Yorick survived it.

BTW, anyone reading Batman? Grant Morrison is writing, and the last issue was full of his trademark weirdness. "Man-bats. Ninja Man-bats. That's different."

Edited by Clint M, 15 September 2006 - 08:48 PM.

#52 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,384 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Animated comic book cover GIFs - a nine-part-series in progress.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,145 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Gonzo: A Graphic Biography

#54 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,933 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

Flavorwire: The Literary Canon as Graphic Novel

whitman.jpg

Edited by NBooth, 26 December 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#55 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,859 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

Fabulous. Making a note of these volumes (I already own Gareth Hinds' Beowulf). That Superhero-Whitman thing totally sells Leaves of Grass. :)

#56 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,524 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Has anyone here read Matt Fraction's CASANOVA series? Reading reviews, it sounds sufficiently mad to endear itself to me (I'm generally weak-in-the-knees for anything that draws on 1960's spy mania) and was considering picking up the first volume of the collected run.

Edited by Ryan H., 14 October 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#57 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have only heard great things, and Fraction is a terrific writer.

#58 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Here's another thumbs up for Kirkman's Walking Dead. I'm also collecting them in trades, and I'm getting antsy waiting for the next installment. It's just a great series all around.

Wow, just caught this. Six and a half years later, my opinion is complete opposite.

But moving on...anyone read any of the Buffy comics, specifically Seasons 8 or 9? I'm working my way through Season 8 right now in trade form. It's nowhere near the trainwreck some have labeled it. In fact, the writing is fantastic in spots. But the "no limits" mindset behind many of the plot points is kind of....too much. The sixth volume, Retreat, was kind of the shark-jumping moment for me. I still like it a lot, but I can see how apt some of the criticisms have been.

#59 Christian

Christian

• 10,961 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

Today is Free Comic Book Day. The kids and I went to the local comic-book shop last to get some freebies, and the boys are eager to return today. The oldest son wants the Transformers and Power Rangers books. Me, I'm wondering about how everything old is new again.

I picked up the Captain America: Winter Soldier trade yesterday, and I'm almost done with it.

Great writing from Brubaker, and the art is fantastic. I also really like

Spoiler

So that was the basis for the movie now in theaters? I don't keep up with comic-book movies and heroes very well. I thought the current movie was based on an original script. It's adapted?

#60 James Blake Ewing

James Blake Ewing

• 376 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

About to take my kid brother to Free Comic Book Day. Should be fun.

Ed Brubaker gets a concept and story credit for the film, so I'm guessing they adapted it. I really like what I've read of Brubaker's original stuff (Fatale, Velvet), haven't read any of his superhero stuff.