Dr. Who

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Who? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Who?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

FWIW, the new series of Dr. Who started on Saturday, but it seems awfully low on originallity. Anyone who has watched "Red Dwarf" will be outraged at the use of a new breed of enemies who have evolved from cats, and a talking flat thing called Casandra is straight out of that show.

Later episodes are bringing back K9 and Sarah Jane, and when I saw DAvid Tennant at Christmas he was frankly awful.

Did anyone actually see it though?

Matt

#22 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

Tempted though I am to spend large amounts of time I don't have replying to every comment posted in this thread over the last couple of years, I will restrict myself to this announcement by the BBC today that there will be a spin-off show based around Sarah-Jane Smith (one of the best companions until Billie Piper proved herself to have been a very adept bit of casting - I expected the worst from her and was at times blown away). I dreaded the episode in the 2006 series which saw the return of her and the robo-mutt K-9 (who I first liked as a kid, but grew to detest) but found myself delighted to see them both reunited with the Doctor. It's to be for the BBC's channel for older children, CBBC, and will first air early next years. See the BBC press release.

Incidentally, a point of pedantry: a number of posts refer to the Doctor as 'Doctor Who' - he has always been 'the Doctor'. Well, almost always - in 'The War Machines' (1966) two characters refer to him as Doctor Who; in 'The Highlanders' (1967) he signs himself as Doctor Von Wer; in 'The Underwater Menace' (1967) he signs himself as Dr W; and Jon Pertwee's second story was called 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' (1970) - but these are slips and deviations from over 40 years of calling him 'the doctor'. 'Doctor Who' is raising a question.

#23 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

True, although if you look at some of the old stuff you could buy (by "old" I mean "from the 70s") there were magazines full of what could charitably be described as "fan fiction" that actually called him "Doctor Who."

As in, "What do we now, Doctor Who? The bug eyed alien is about to eat us." "Doctor Who, do you think you can fix the Tardis in time for us to escape?" "How are you doing, Doctor Who? I haven't seen you for regenerations!"

No, I'm not kidding. I used to have them.

#24 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:42 AM

I'm still waiting for Torchwood to start - the first DW spin-off (though with no crossover of stories) series based around the Torchwood Institute and starring John Barrowman as Captain Jack. It's due to start this autumn (Fall) but the BBC are often very cagey about precise dates - they often won't even confirm which week something is due to be broadcast until 3 weeks before. My guess is it will be the first week of October which enables them to run the 13 weeks up to Christmas when we will get another Christmas special.

Torchwood will be broadcast post-watershed and is squarely aimed at adult fans of DW. Russell T. Davies (one of the most gifted of British TV writers - and a strong atheist) says:

"Torchwood is a British sci-fi paranoid thriller, a cop show with a sense of humour. It's dark, wild and sexy, it's the X Files meets This Life. It's a stand-alone series for adult audiences which will have its own unique identity.

And Stuart Murphy, Controller of BBC Three says:

The renegades investigate human and alien crime, as well as alien technology that has fallen to Earth. Torchwood is sinister and psychological – Russell was really keen to play with your head – as well as being very British and modern and real. But at the centre of the drama are warm, human relationships and the overcoming of adversity.

I hadn't realised Doctor Who was getting such a good response in Canada that Torchwood and series 3 are co-production deals with CBC (which I assume means CBC help pay for its production rather than pay to show it later; BBC Wales are still making the series). The 2006 series is apparently being broadcast on CBC this Fall.

#25 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

I'm watching the new season opener right now!

#26 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE(The Baptist Death Ray @ Sep 30 2006, 01:34 AM) View Post

I'm watching the new season opener right now!

And...? What did you think? It's not the greatest episode in the series, but fun nevertheless and raises some interesting questions.

Wait until you get to The Impossible Planet...

#27 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:07 AM

I liked it.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like the new Doctor -- he had a pretty tough act to follow, in my opinion -- but by the time he started waxing rhapsodic about the big shiny button he'd fully won me over. I also appreciated
Spoiler
. smile.gif

I especially liked
Spoiler

They showed the second episode -- "New Earth" -- after the opener. That sealed the deal for me. "New Earth" seemed like a classic Who episode, with the sole exception that it wasn't stretched out over three or four parts. It was a lot of fun to watch, especially with
Spoiler

#28 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

Ahah! What you've just seen as the first episode of the season was a stand-alone Christmas special for us last year. What a treat to get both together instead of having to wait months!

I also had qualms about Tennant. I loved his questioning of his character in The Christmas Invasion. By the end of the series I'd concluded that he's good. Still trying to weigh up him and Eccleston.

#29 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

Ahah! What you've just seen as the first episode of the season was a stand-alone Christmas special for us last year. What a treat to get both together instead of having to wait months!

I also had qualms about Tennant. I loved his questioning of his character in The Christmas Invasion. By the end of the series I'd concluded that he's good. Still trying to weigh up him and Eccleston.

#30 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:31 AM

I've started a new thread about Torchwood, the Doctor Who spin-off series here.

#31 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:26 PM

Torchwood isn't avilable in the States. sad.gif

Also, I tried to tape Dr. Who last Friday (since I was flying to Alabama at the time)... AND I RECORDED !@#$$%% BATTLESTAR GALACTICA INSTEAD!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

#32 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE(The Baptist Death Ray @ Oct 11 2006, 12:26 AM) View Post

Also, I tried to tape Dr. Who last Friday (since I was flying to Alabama at the time)... AND I RECORDED !@#$$%% BATTLESTAR GALACTICA INSTEAD!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

You poor, poor, man. Do you have good counsellors around? Which episode did you miss?

#33 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:18 AM

I am confused...which episodes have just been aired in the States? Have you just now gotten the David Tennant ones?

#34 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:20 AM

Yes, we've just now started watching the Tennant era of the Doctor.

The episode I was trying to record apparently inovlved the Doctor meeting Queen Victoria and fighting werewolves.

#35 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(The Baptist Death Ray @ Oct 11 2006, 11:20 AM) View Post

Yes, we've just now started watching the Tennant era of the Doctor.

The episode I was trying to record apparently inovlved the Doctor meeting Queen Victoria and fighting werewolves.

Hmm. In that case your earlier statement ('Torchwood isn't avilable in the States.') is rather ironic. I shall say no more. wink.gif

#36 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

Ooooo! Tommorow night is the return of Sarah Jane Smith!

And K-9!!!

Wheeeeee

#37 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(The Baptist Death Ray @ Oct 13 2006, 12:23 AM) View Post

Ooooo! Tommorow night is the return of Sarah Jane Smith!

And K-9!!!

Wheeeeee

I wasn't looking forward to the return of the pesky metal dog, but I was surprised at how delighted I was to see him again.

#38 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

That was a brilliant episode.

#39 Tony Watkins

Tony Watkins

Simpleton

• 782 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(The Baptist Death Ray @ Oct 14 2006, 03:44 PM) View Post

That was a brilliant episode.

Far, far better than I had dared to hope.

My boys (who have only seen clips) like to remind me from time to time, 'You are in a car' in a K-9y kind of voice.

My youngest, who is 3, under the influence of 2 older brothers, is prone to attempt to exterminate his friends and likes to have Dalek bread with pizza. He's also more likely to sing the DW theme tune - or the Imperial Death March - than the theme tune for any programmes for his age. And he's never seen any of it. I dread to think what it would be like once they see whole episodes. My eldest, who is almost 9, was desperate to watch the 2005 series when it was on, but I didn't think he was ready for it. Since he was 8 when the 2006 series started, I decided he could watch the first episode, but I didn't think to let him watch the repeat once I knew what it was like. He was really freaked by the people with every imaginable disease. Sometime soon I'll take him through the 2005 series - I think he's ready again now!

#40 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

Saw the next one (the Doctor snogs Madame Pompadour). Thought it had some really great lines, but I was a bit put off by the Vulcan mind meld in the middle of the show. That was whetted a bit by
Spoiler

Also: "you can't have the horse!" "I let you keep Mickey!"

There was never a satisfactory explanation as to why
Spoiler
which I found kind of annoying. And I notice Rose grows more and more discontent...

The more I see this regeneration of the Doctor the more I like him.