Dr. Who

• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Who? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Who?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 (unregistered)

(unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2003 - 08:23 AM

--content deleted--

#2 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,671 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

Wow, this thread took quite awhile to find... lol. Anyways, here are some updates to the original story. As some of you may know by now, Eddie Izzard is not the ninth incarnation of the time-hopping, space traveling Dr. Who. That honor goes to Christopher Eccleston, star of such movies as Shallow Grave and 28 Days Later, and also the new face of Grand Moff Tarkin in Revenge of the Sith. I like Eccleston, though I thought this was a curious choice, since I personally have never seen Eccleston play a character that wasn't all deadly serious, or even had a hint of a sense of humor. Perhaps that is one of the reasons he took the role - to show the world his lighter side.

But the real reason for my initial search is that one of the new DR. Who episodes has been leaked onto the internet. The BBC reports that...
Thousands of fans, unwilling or unable to wait for the scheduled broadcast date in three weeks' time, downloaded the show using the popular file-trading software BitTorrent and other file-trading networks.

"It shows how much demand there is for 'Doctor Who,"' a BBC spokesman said, sounding a positive note. "Years later there is a huge audience desperate for the new series.

Full story here.

BTW, here is the list of past DR.'s, and the years they were on the show. Perhaps a poll on which one was favored by A&F fans of the series?

William Hartnell 1963-66
Patrick Troughton 1966-69
Jon Pertwee 1970-74
Tom Baker 1974-81
Peter Davison 1981-84
Colin Baker 1984-86
Sylvester McCoy 1987-89
Paul McGann 1996

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 09 March 2005 - 11:13 AM.

#3 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,524 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

Ha! Can't wait to catch this series as it airs. On pins and needles...

#4 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

Davison is at least as pretty as McGann. he was a pretty good Doctor... his run was pretty short though.

#5 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:21 PM

I grew up with Davidson as the doctor (and actually cried when one of his assistants died)

Eccleston exhibited humour in "The Second Coming" notably his great closing line to the end of part 1.

"...maybe 2"

Matt

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,171 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:51 PM

Davison will always be the womanizing Tristan Farnon, younger brother to Siegfried, in All Creatures Great and Small, to me. smile.gif

(And how cool to see Robert Hardy, AKA Siegfried, as Cornelius Fudge in the Harry Potter movies! Makes me wonder what the James Herriot guy is up to now. Alas, the last time I saw Carol Drinkwater, AKA Mrs Herriot, she was drunk and naked in An Awfully Big Adventure...)

#7 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,671 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:59 PM

I just realized that this is the second time Eccleston has played the same character as Peter Cushing. As well as Grand Moff Tarkin, Cushing also played DR. WHO in the films Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) and Daleks -- Invasion Earth 2150 (1966). Perhaps Eccleston can star in some Hammer Horror remakes that once starred Cushing. He'd probably make a terrific Baron von Frankenstein, and I'm sure he'd be a better Van Helsing than... wait, I don't want to give Steven Sommers any ideas.

#8 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:21 AM

I'm not sure. The Cushing films were to the real Dr Who as Never say never again is to the real James Bond Franchise.

I think its safe to say that you can leave Joanna Lumley off the list though.

Matt

#9 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:23 AM

who voted for Colin "I want Dr Who to have a beard and who cares if my resulting sacking means we never get to see the end of this story" Baker?

Matt

#10 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:44 AM

Two interesting articles from The Times. In Doctor Who puts accent on a new look to old show Christopher Eccleston reveals both that he didn't like Dr WHo as a kid, and that the show has been written by Russell Davies (writer of Queer as Folk), and that his assitant is played by Billie Piper (Billie Piper?).

and then there's The First Review

Matt

#11 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:07 AM

Surprisingly this made front page news in many of the papers over here a few days ago.

Seems though that now 3 of the last 4 doctors have failed to go the distance. Timelords in crisis?

Can anyone remember how many regenerations the doctor was originally meant to be able to have. I seem to remember it being either 9 or 13. (not that I see that being a barrier to a profitable TV franchise)

Matt

#12 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:49 PM

13 I believe, but they've already mentioned in past shows that it is possible for a Time Lord to acquire (illegally) or be awarded (by Gallifrey) more regenerations.

And it's 13 *regenerations* -- since Hartnell played the *original* Doctor, there can be 14 Doctors in all before it becomes an issue.

#13 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(The BDR)
And it's 13 *regenerations* -- since Hartnell played the *original* Doctor, there can be 14 Doctors in all before it becomes an issue.

...because then Congress would have to intervene. w00t.gif
I'm sorry, I'm sorry... I'm not a Dr. Who fan, and the jokes are just too tempting. I don't mean to mock those who know and love the show.
I just can't help myself.
No hard feelings, please.

#14 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

What? Unbeliever! smile.gif

#15 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(The Baptist Death Ray @ Apr 6 2005, 06:49 PM)
but they've already mentioned in past shows that it is possible for a Time Lord to acquire (illegally) or be awarded (by Gallifrey) more regenerations.

View Post

I bet that little get out clause was wheeled out post Colin Baker

Matt

#16 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,671 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

BBC News announces that actor David Tennant will be taking over the role of DR. WHO. Tennant has been featured in such films as Bright Young Things and Jude the Obscure (starring previous Dr. Who incarnation Christopher Eccleston). Tennant will also appear later this year in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire as Barty Crouch Jr.

#17 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,863 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:31 AM

Damaris study guide for Dr. Who, eps. 1-3, plus link to a related article.

I'm not watching--it's not on my cable system--but have lots of acquaintances who are fans.

#18 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:04 PM

Tom Baker, man!

OM, DAVROS!

#19 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(The Baptist Death Ray @ Mar 9 2005, 08:56 AM)
Davison is at least as pretty as McGann. he was a pretty good Doctor... his run was pretty short though.

View Post

Davison was my second fave. Stapled celery and all.

#20 The Baptist Death Ray

The Baptist Death Ray

• 743 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:37 PM

My three favorite doctors are Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and Colin Baker.

A lot of people really detest Colin's run as the Doctor, but I thought he was *hilarious*. He had this impatient arrogance that would quickly turn to panic when he realized that the people around him were simply too slow to understand what he was talking about, which usually increased the amount of danger he was in dramatically.