New Stuff Worth Hearing

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#381 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 358 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

I've heard that Seryn's SXSW performance was amazing. Paste put it as their favorite performance from the festival.

There's also some great ones on YouTube.

#382 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

One of my favorite "nostalgist" pop groups, Epic45, have a new album coming out soon titled Weathering. You can hear two tracks from the album here. I'm particularly taken with "The Village Is Asleep", which is a lovely, sublime little track that evokes shades of Bark Psychosis, Hood, and Talk Talk within the course of its six minutes or so.

Aaron Roche's Plainspeak came out of left-field and just left me gobsmacked. Easy points of comparison include Sufjan Stevens, Denison Witmer, David Sylvian, and Arve Henriksen. In other words, soft, folksy acoustic songs wedded with modern classical and avant-garde flourishes. There are a few places where the mix doesn't quite work, but overall, it's an extremely lovely album -- particularly when Roche's clear voice joins the proceedings as it does on "A Weaker Vision" and "Fiction" (two of my favorite tracks I've heard in awhile). Highly recommended. You can listen to the entire album here.

Edited by opus, 23 March 2011 - 12:20 PM.

#383 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

Aaron Roche's Plainspeak came out of left-field and just left me gobsmacked.

FWIW, I've just posted my review or Roche's album here.

#384 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,042 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

I've never been much on The Kills, but their new album is streaming here, and I find it to be catchy, addictive, and tons of fun; they're scratching a post-White Stripes itch that I guess I didn't realize I had until today.

#385 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,042 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

... and here's my review of that Kills album.

#386 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

Thom Jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

The Antlers - Burst Apart

J Rocc - Some Cold Rock Stuf (sic)
Current 93 - Honeysuckle Æons (the final part of the trilogy that includes Black Ships At The Sky and Baalstorm, Sing Omega)

V/A- Afro Latin Via Kinshasa

V/A Afro Latin Via Dakar

(These double disc deluxe packages from Syllart, are licensed, have terrfic sound and the music is just amazing.)

Femi Kuti - Africa For Africa

John Zorn - Nova Express

Woman - Woman (LP only)

Angel Olson - Strange Cacti

Bass Drum Of Death - GB City

Loudon Wainright III - 40 Odd years box set

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74 (both the remastered CD version and the amazing DVD--I know this stuff isn;t new, but most people have still never heard it)

Robin Trower - The Playful Heart (not exactly new, but new to the U.S. market)

Bedouin Soundclash - Light The Horizon

Guns & Orchestra Pits - S/T

Surface of the Earth - Gunn Amps & Smashed Guitars

Chrissy Murderbot - Women's Studies

Sun Araw - Abstros 7" ("Bump Up" b/w "December")

Mammifer - House Of Low Culture

Moon Duo - Mazes

Oikos - Ecotono

Colin Vallon Trio - Rruga (ECM)

Ketil Bjornstadt & Svante Henryson - Night Song (ECM)

Craig Taborn - Avenging Angel (debut solo piano record Detroit piano wizard on ECM)

Matraca Berg - The Dreaming Fields

Edited by Thom Jurek, 04 April 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#387 Hugues

Hugues

• 944 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

Loudon Wainwright III - 40 Odd years box set

Curious to see how The Antlers will follow an album like the previous one which came from a special experience.

Wondering if that Loudon boxset has something to offer to those who own all of his albums already? :)

#388 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

TRUE WIDOW - As High As The Highest Heavens And From The Center To The Circumference Of The Earth (Kemado, 2x LP--they spin at 45 rpm--CD, digital download)

Here is what my good friend Kieth Utech (of Utech Records fame) says about my favorite heavy rock record this year thus far :

"Amazing album. Just stunning in how good it is. People have been using the word "stoner" in reference to this, the new album by Dallas, Texas three-piece True Widow, but that doesn't ring true to me. It surely has a "stoned" feel to it, but the stoner tag makes me think doom, and while this is slow and heavy, (even slower and heavier if you play it 33RPM) it's not really as doom-y as you may think. The shoegaze label has been placed here as well, but I don't feel the atmospheric psychedelia of classic shoegaze albums like Loveless (My Bloody Valentine) or Souvlaki (Slowdive). Those elements figure into the mix on this record, but they don't add up. This is one of those records that is much, much more than the sum of its parts. It will blow you away, of that I am almost sure. Try some samples at the band's myspace, and then buy the gatefold 2xLP (mastered at 45RPM), with beautiful artwork inside at Kemado Records."

And this from the Kemado site:

"Here is a band that has figured out how to play music that is traditionally recognized as “heavy” and “slow,” on traditional rock instruments, in a way that few have been able to accomplish: a melancholy, meditative approach to songwriting and soundscape that draws you in. They figured this out in the space of one album a self-titled debut from 2008. On As High As the Highest Heavens, they refine the work even further.

Big guitar, bigger drums and the biggest bass (played by D.H., Slim, and Nikki, respectively) effortlessly recreate the unending skies of prairie America, where storms blow across with fury, horizons are unencumbered by the choke of skyscrapers and electric light, and the atmosphere pushes you down. A rumbling backdrop of distortion churns away, both behind and within True Widow’s plaintive song structures, but never overpowers it. Across a 50-minute runtime, the nine songs here range from excavated alt-rock anthems (“Night Witches,” “Skull Eyes”) to methodical epics like “Boaz” and “Blooden Horse,” to triumphant bulldozers of sound like “NH,” which splits the difference between dirge and hymn, the instruments staring into the ground while D.H. and Nikki’s voices ascend to the clouds.

Plenty of you may balk at both the length and largesse expressed in the title of True Widow’s new album, but once its powers seep into your skull, you’ll likely find it impossible to doubt the magnitude of what’s at stake here – a band that is singlehandedly breaking rank from accepted genres, and carving its own path into history."

Edited by Thom Jurek, 13 April 2011 - 09:44 AM.

#389 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Also forgot to mention Dengue Fever's "Cannibal Courtship," which is out on Tuesday. Scorching hot.

#390 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,042 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

I'll give a quick plug for The Randy Newman Songbook: Volume 2, due out in May. If you've heard the first one, you know what this is; it's Randy Newman at his most, er, Randy Newman-ish, just him and his piano, with songs spanning his entire career (literally-- there are selections from his first album, his most recent album, and his film work). The first volume is, in my mind, the essential Newman album, and this one is a worthy sequel.

#391 FromExileGrowMan

FromExileGrowMan

• 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

Damion Suomi & the Minor Prophets - Go, And Sell All Your Things

It's only four months in, but I am almost certain this is the best album to come out this year. Guaranteed.

Attached File  Damion_Suomi_and_The_Minor_Prophets-Go_And_3.jpg   12.67KB   3 downloads

#392 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

Loudon Wainwright III - 40 Odd years box set

Curious to see how The Antlers will follow an album like the previous one which came from a special experience.

Wondering if that Loudon boxset has something to offer to those who own all of his albums already? :)

Here's a link to Thom's review. I believe the answer to your question, Hugues, is "Yes." It looks like there's a disc of previously unreleased material, and a DVD with 3+ hours of concert footage and appearances on the BBC, Saturday Night Live, Austin City Limits, etc.

#393 Hugues

Hugues

• 944 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Andy, yep I've read it (being a regular AMG reader). Looks like a nice boxset. If I ever find it at a fine price, I may purchase it. I'll get that Antlers new one at least, for sure.

#394 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter - Marble Son ( August 2nd) Heavier and darker than previous records.

Mount Moriah - Self titled (featuring Jenks Miller of Horseback and Heather McEntire of Bellafea and Un Deaux Tois)

The Slits - John Peel Sessions

BB & C (Jim Black, Tim Berne, and Nels Cline) - The Veil

Shawn Pittman - Edge Of the World

Justin Bond - Dendrophile

Mark McGuire - A Young Person's Guide To Mark McGuire (a compilation of his four solo releases apart from the Emeralds--fans of Durutti Column, Michael Rother, and Manuel Gottsching will flip over this).

Lucky Brown - Lucky Brown's Space Dream (Raw, hard, edgy, funk; lots of instrumentals with a few stellar vocal jams tossed in).

Azymuth- Aurora ( a beautifully constructed album of Fender Rhodes, funky bass and breaks from this longstanding Brazilian jazz trio).

Implodes - Black Earth

Eda Maxym and the Imagination Club- Circle Of Sparks

The Silos - Florizona

#395 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

Mark McGuire - A Young Person's Guide To Mark McGuire (a compilation of his four solo releases apart from the Emeralds--fans of Durutti Column, Michael Rother, and Manuel Gottsching will flip over this).

I'm listening to "The Marfa Lights" right now, and I dig it. Is that pretty indicative of the rest of the album?

Speaking of Durutti Column, I saw that Vini Reilly got reissued recently. Hope to pick that up soon.

#396 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

I'm listening to "The Marfa Lights" right now, and I dig it. Is that pretty indicative of the rest of the album?

Speaking of Durutti Column, I saw that Vini Reilly got reissued recently. Hope to pick that up soon.

it is quite indicative of the rest of the album--it's a double disc. There are moments that are less structured, others where the guitar gets a bit "heavier" but certainly not in the way we think of GUITAR ROCK at all. It's beautifully put together and works as a complete listening experience top to bottom. I like it more than any of his solo albums proper--it has all the right moments form those records.

#397 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Whoops: Forgot to add
Sin Sin Sin the debut by by Le Butcherettes, the power trio of vocalist/guitarist Teri Gender Bender, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (guitarist of Mars Volta) on bass, and drummer Normandi Heuxdoflo --on the road it's Gabe Serbian and Jonathan Hischke. Killer 21st century punk 'n' roll with a very smart, very angry woman up front.

#398 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

New stuff this week:

Diana Jones - High Atmosphere

Perhpaps this deserves its own thread, but last week I reviewed:
Laura Cantrell - Kitty Wells Dresses, nine songs closely associated with Wells, and one original basically explaining why she did the album. Quite beautiful, if very reverential.

Garland Jeffries: The King Of In Between (Proof that the man who could write songs like Ghost Writer, Wild In The Streets, New York Skyline, One-Eyed Jack, has not only still got it, but is at the top of his game. This nis his first American released album in over a decade. A rock and roll poet who has way more cred than Lou Reed EVER had without the excesses.)

Garland Jeffries - Ghost Writer/ One-Eyed Jack/American Boy & Girl - Three of his classic albums issued in a fantastically remastered double CD by Raven.

Here is a link to the review by AMG's Mark Deming.

Rikki Ililonga & Music-o-Tunya: Dark Sunrise. Re-release of two Zambian rock classics from the late 70s and early '80s on Now Agin in a deluxe package

Alvarius B. - Baroque Primitiva (CD release of the LP by Alan Bishop formerly of the Sun City Girls; this one has a 32 page booklet)

World's End Girlfriend - Seven Idiots

Eda Maxym and the Imagination Club - Circle Of Sparks (First album in a decade by the stunning lead vocalist and songwriter in the Beasts Of Paradise, featuring Stephen Kent on didgeridoos, guitars and percussion and a host of other Bay Area all stars.)

Wadada Leo Smith - Heart's Reflections (The great trumpeter and composer's new effort consists of suites for old friends, some of whom are no longe ron this plane of existence. The band is unbelievweable and includes Brandon Ross, Pheeroan Ak Laff, John Lindberg, Skulli Sverisson, Michael Greegory, and many others.)

The Bo-Keys - Got To Get Back (Killer horn funk band from Memphis with performances by Charlie Musselwhite, Otis Clay and William Bell among others.)

Edited by Thom Jurek, 09 May 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#399 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,042 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Whoops: Forgot to add
Sin Sin Sin the debut by by Le Butcherettes, the power trio of vocalist/guitarist Teri Gender Bender, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (guitarist of Mars Volta) on bass, and drummer Normandi Heuxdoflo --on the road it's Gabe Serbian and Jonathan Hischke. Killer 21st century punk 'n' roll with a very smart, very angry woman up front.

Just a quick note to say that this record can currently be streamed here. Sounding awfully good to me thus far-- thanks for the tip, Thom!

#400 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

I'm really enjoying the new Sloan album, The Double Cross, which came out this week. The sound reminds me of their great late '90s albums Between the Bridges and One Chord to Another. They keep on doing what they're doing, which isn't a bad thing at all.