New Stuff Worth Hearing

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#421 Hugues

Hugues

• 944 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

C'mon Thom, my trouble must have lasted three minutes, the time to write the title of the album with the name to get it right. I know you always write fast. ;)

#422 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

Thom Jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

David Sylvian - Died In the Wool [Manafon Variations] Reworkings of five tracks from Manafon with six new ones--including two poems by Emily Dickinson set to music. Sylvian's reliance of string composer and arranger Daj Fujikura is paramount, and the music is the most accessible he's made since before Blemish, though it is very experimental. A lot of the other players form Manafon are here too: Jan Bang, Christian Fennsez, and many more.

Allison Miller - Boom Tic Boom Jazz drummer Miller's second album as a leader starring pianist Myra Melford, bassist Todd Sickafoose and violinist Jenny Scheinman

Chris Dingman - Waking Dreams Vibraphonist Dingman's band stars trumpeter sensation Ambrose Akinmusire, Loren Stillman on saxophones and pianist Fabian Alamanza among others.

Willie Tee - I'm Only A Man (reissue on Get On Down) of the New Orleans soulman's greatest album.

Richard Buckner - Our Blood The return of the itinerant songman with a record that was made not once, but three times due to various tragedies that could only befall him.

Karl Hector and the Malcouns - Tamanrasset (Killer Afro-funk)

Dr. Michael White - Adventures In New Orleans Jazz, Volume 1

Gomez - Whatever's On Your Mind

DJ Shadow - I Gotta Rokk

Bernie Worrell - Standards

Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones

Dieter Moebius - Ding

Ewan MacColl - The Essential Recordings

Kitty Wells - The Essential Recordings

The Black Lips - Arabian Mountain

Joe Ely - Satisfied At Last

Eddie Roberts & The Fire Eaters - Burn

Rory Gallagher - Notes From San Francisco (previously unreleased studio album from late 70s)

#423 Tyler

Tyler

I right the outlaw wrongs on Mars.

• 6,153 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

It's not new, technically, but NoiseTrade has the Civil Wars live album Live at Eddie's Attic available for free.

#424 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

Steve Coleman and the Five Elements - The Mancy Of Sound (July 26, 2011)

Nicola Conte - Love and Revolution (features contributions by Jose James, Till Bronner, Magnus Lindgren--who arranged this--Frabrizio Bosso, Bridgette Amforah, ANdrea Santoro, Timo Lassy, and many more)

Van Der Graff Generator - A Grounding In Numbers (New studio effort by the original recording lineup of Peter Hammill, Guy Evans and Hugh Banton; their last one was killer)

The Rhythmagic Orchestra --s/t (produced by Benedic Landin from Nostalgia 77and SDofrito's Hugo Mendez) featuring members of the Whitefield Brothers, Nostalgia 77 Octet, the Plumstead Radical Club, the Heliocentrics, the Alex Wilson Band, Jazz Jamaica, and Ska Cubano

Suzy Bogguss - American Folk Songbook (I'm shocked at how much I like her renditions of these old nuggetts)

Johann Johannsson - The Miners' Hymn (on Fat Cat's 130701 imprint)

Orchestre Poly-Rhythmo - De Cotonou Dahomey (First album, 1973) Deluxe reissue treatment courtesy of Analog Africa

ROB - Funky Rob Wray (also on Analog Africa) Vintage Ghanian Afro Funk

Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs: The Instrumental Edition (worth hearing for the contributions of Garth Hudson and Levon Helm)

Davina and the Vagabonds - Black Cloud (warped jazz pop)

Mimi Goese and Ben Neill - Songs For Persephone (the music form the amazing stage presentation I saw in New York last year), out on Ramseur. Goese isa fine singerand pianist, and Neill, whose solo records are soimetimes prblematic because of his heavy reliance on electronics is the perfect co-composer and arranger here

Jim Ford - Harlan County (reissue of this CLASSIC 1969 country album by by Light In The Attic)

Edited by Thom Jurek, 07 June 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#425 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

A new Johannsson is always good news in my book. And I meant to ask, how is the new DJ Shadow? Endtroducing is a classic in my book, but much of his subsequent stuff has left me a little cold.

#426 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,043 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

I'm thinking the new Jill Scott sounds like an R&B classic-- and maybe the best thing she's ever done.

#427 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

David Binney - Barefooted Town (with Ambrose Akinmusire, Mark Turner, David Virelles, Eivind Opsvik, and Dan Weiss. Not as academic sounding as most Criss Cross Jazz titles; the second fine record Binney's released this year.

Giacomo Gates - The Revolution Will Be Jazz: The Songs Of Gil Scott-Heron. On Savant; recorded from November 2010-January 2011. Gates, an excellent vocalist, takes these tunes into straight ahead, bluesd-infelcted (a la his great influence Eddie Jefferson) hard swinging jazz territory, with help from a crack band that includes bassist Lonnie Plaxico. Tragic irony; great record.

Jenny Hval - Viscera. (On Rune Grammofon) AS member of Susanna Wallumrod's magical Orchestra steps out on her own with production by DeathProd.

The Spiritual Non-Believers - The Last Hurrah (Solo project by well known Norwegian producer and songwriter HP Gundersen with vocalist Heidi Goodbye (also on Rune Grammofon).

Breathe Owl Breathe - Magic Central

Steve Cropper - Dedicated: A Salute To The 5 Royales. Cropper pays tribute to his biggest influence, guitarist and songwriter Lowman Pauling. The Rpoyales had the first hit versions of "Dedicated TO The One I Love," "Baby Don't Do It," "I DO," and Come On & Save Me." Cropper has loads of guest vocalists here including: Lucinda Williams, B.B. King, Delbert McLinton, Dan Penn, Bettye LaVette, Sharon Jones and others. I'll be reviewing this so I can't say too much else about it at the moment.

Beware Of Safety - Leaves/Scars Third album by this excellent instrumental rock band.

Edited by Thom Jurek, 13 June 2011 - 12:03 PM.

#428 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,043 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Thom, especially on that Scott-Heron tribute; sounds like a really special record.

#429 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

I'm thinking the new Jill Scott sounds like an R&B classic-- and maybe the best thing she's ever done.

I'm writing about this one so I can't say much, but this is certainly worth investigating for anyone who is even remotely interested in what Ms. Scott does vocally.

Another jam that gets me is "6 A.M." the first single off Rahsaan Patterson's upcoming Bleuphoria (coming soon on Detroit's own Mack Avenue imprint!). It's throwback to be sure, reminding me of, "early-mid '80s sophisticated synth-funk/boogie ala Loose Ends/System/Kashif." But given Pattewrson's AMAZING voice--no effing auto tune folks, just the real thang--and his sense of melody, it's way better than the three combined. I've dug all of this cat's records since he was with Verve back in the 1990s, but his last couple of records are off the charts killer, and all radically different from one another.

Check it for yourself here.

#430 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,043 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

Thom mentioned the new John Paul Keith album a few weeks back, so I wanted to mention my review of the record. I've become quite taken with it; its infectious pop hooks and timeless sense of songcraft-- to say nothing of Keith's considerable gifts as a guitarist-- are quickly making it one of my favorites of the year.

#431 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

Minikon - Rare Candy
A collection of remixes and original material from this Florida-based artist who straddles the line between synth-pop, chiptune, and Sufjan's brand of orchestral folk. Extremely joyous, upbeat pop that's perfect for summer drives. You can listen to all of Minikon's albums here.

Eric Painter - Ruth
A modern classical soundtrack for a ballet inspired by the book of Ruth. Stirring, evocative, cinematic music in the vein of Max Richter and Jóhann Jóhannsson. Listen to it here: "Nightfall" is an especially gorgeous track.

The Caretaker - An empty bliss beyond this World
There are moments where this album -- which consists of recordings of old 78s of jazz, big band, and swing subtly manipulated with glitch, noise, and other bits and pieces of processing -- feels a bit gimmicky. But the more I listen to it, the more I'm looking past that. This is an evocative album, as if you're listening to ghosts of ancient recordings, sifting through photographs that have been missing for decades, etc. At times, it's otherworldly and haunting ("I feel as if I might be vanishing"), at times it's surprisingly catchy ("Camaraderie At Arm's Length"), and most of the time, it's somewhere in-between. Listen to it here.

#432 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

Dee Dee Bridgewater - Midnight Sun (8/23/11) A killer collection of jazz standards of a different stripe by the great vocalist (I still wish someone would reissue her debut album Afro Blue.)

The Latebirds - Good Ol' Days

Various - Red Hot & Rio 2 This is a mixed bag but there are some truly great tracks. The concept was to pair (many) Tropicalia-era legends and or modern Brazilian hot shots with contemporary players from America. Hence you get combos like Seu Jorge with Beck, Aloe Black with Alice Smith, Caetano Veloso with DFavid Byrne, Marissa Monte wioth Devendra Banhart, Joyce with Madlib, etc. Not all of it works, but a lot of it does.

Steve Coleman and the Five Elements - The Mancy of Sound (07/26/11)

Tinariwen - Tassili (coming from Anti)

Azymuth - Aurora

Eumir Deodato - The Crossing

Torlesse Super GroupPosted Image- s/t (New Zealand guitarist Roy Montgomery's new band)

Barn Owl- Shadowland 12"

The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond The World (James Leyland Kirby's alter ego)

Lee Scratch Perry - Rise Again (On Bill Laswell's Methods Of Defiance Technologies imprint. It stars Tunde Adepimpe Gigi, Bernbie Worrell, Aiyb Deng, Hamid Drake, Josh Werner, Dominick James, Jahdan Balkkamoore, Sly Dunbar and more. This is better than it had any right to be.)

Cave In - White Silence

Edited by Thom Jurek, 20 June 2011 - 10:02 AM.

#433 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

One more that may be of interest to some people here, the debut long player by John Shannon & Wings Of Sound - Songs Of The Desert River. this was issued on Creek Valley via Obliqsound. His music is almost not there, except it is, and once yop encounter it, it may be tough to pin down, but it's also impossible to forget. Too many comparisons floating around out there, but I wanted to post this link of them live in February so you can get a flavor for it. If you go to his fb page, you can get right to itunes for samples of the album itself, which is far more lovely sounding than this live clip. Here is the youtube link for Hurricane (not the Neil Young tune).

Edited by Thom Jurek, 21 June 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#434 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,043 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

You can stream Beyonce's new album here.

It's a good album, I think, though not as good as Jill Scott's new one, and the Andre 3000 cameo feels like a wasted opportunity. The opening song, "1+1," is maybe my favorite single of the year so far, however; it would be a star-making vocal performance, were Beyonce not already a star.

#435 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

• Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thievery Corporation - Culture Of Fear (with frequent collaborator LouLou; Bittersweet vocalist Shana Halligan, and Boston MC Mr. Lif.) It Drops tomorrow, June 28.

Eternal Tapestry + Sun Araw - Night Gallerycollaborative LP on Thrill Jockey; post psych at its most colorful (July 19)

Meg Baird - Seasons of Of Earth, September 20 on Drag City

Cave - Neverendless - September 20 on Drag City.

P.G. Six- Starry Mind , August 23 on Drag City.

Alexis Marceaux - Orange Moon, produced by Polyphonic Spree's Rick Nelson and Sam Craft. A very interesting sophomore effort from this young New Orleans singer songwriter (She's part of Susan Cowsill's band), with a lot of Crescent City veterans helping out in a very unique blend of styles. I can't say it's my thing yet, but it's well worth checking out simply because it is rather unusual. (August 23)

Francesco Tristano and Carl Craig - Idiosynkrasia (a double LP only release documenting the concert pianist's gig with Detroit DJ Carl Craig mixing live in Ibiza.

Jeff Lederer - Sunwatcher: The tenor saxophonist's most spiritual and swigning record to date with Jamie Saft on keyboards, Matt Wilson on drums and the legendary Buster Williams on bass.

NOT NEW BUT NEVER COMPILED BEFORE:

Beautiful Rivers And Mountains: The Psychedelic Rock Sound of South Korea's Shin Joong Hyun, 1958-1974, 14 track compilation of some of the more groundbreaking and literally gorgeous experimental rock, pop and psych funk coming form Light In The Attic. Thgis stuff is a revelation to my ears anyway.

Various - To What Strange Place: The Music Of The Ottoman -American Diaspora, 1916-1929 (on Tompkins Square--amazing).

#436 Gina

Gina

• 369 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

Lately I've been listening a lot to Edens Edge. (No, I didn't forget the apostrophe -- they don't use one. :) ) Here are a few of theirs:

"Swingin' Door" (live)

"Christ Alone" (live)

"Amen" (official video)

#437 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,043 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

You can stream Beyonce's new album here.

It's a good album, I think, though not as good as Jill Scott's new one, and the Andre 3000 cameo feels like a wasted opportunity. The opening song, "1+1," is maybe my favorite single of the year so far, however; it would be a star-making vocal performance, were Beyonce not already a star.

My review of this, fwiw.

#438 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

I've been listening to WU LYF's "Go Tell Fire To The Mountain". It's chaotic and messy and generally if a rock/pop record sounds like a single- mic bootleg, it's a bad thing... but somehow this works for me. "Dirt" is the summer's first anthem ("No matter what they say/ the dollar is not your friend) and the rest of the album follows suit with church organ, tribal percussion, a singer who sounds like he gargles with Drain-O, and accents of clean, chiming post-rock guitars. Of course, I only think that's what I'm hearing, cuz there's so much natural reverb and cavernous room ambience mixed in it's sometimes difficult to distinguish what's being played. WU LYF really wants you to know they're angry about something--not exactly sure what-- but I buy into it.

Edited by Greg P, 02 July 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#439 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

I might've written about this album in the past, but I just posted my review of Carlos Forster's Family Trees. I was a big fan of Forster's former band, For Stars, back in the late '90s/early '00s. Family Trees picks up where they left off, thanks to Forster's absolutely gorgeous voice and poignant lyrics. It's a bit of a mixed bag musically, jumping all over the place tonally, with some of the tracks feeling less like Forster songs and more like M. Ward songs (Ward produced the album). But the album's more introspective moments are absolutely brilliant, fusing together gorgeous arrangements, lush sonics, and Forster's reverb-drenched falsetto to great effect. "Slouching Toward Reality" will definitely be appearing on a year-end mix.

Edited by opus, 07 July 2011 - 10:43 PM.

#440 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

I might've written about this album in the past, but I just posted my review of Carlos Forster's Family Trees. I was a big fan of Forster's former band, For Stars, back in the late '90s/early '00s. Family Trees picks up where they left off, thanks to Forster's absolutely gorgeous voice and poignant lyrics. It's a bit of a mixed bag musically, jumping all over the place tonally, with some of the tracks feeling less like Forster songs and more like M. Ward songs (Ward produced the album). But the album's more introspective moments are absolutely brilliant, fusing together gorgeous arrangements, lush sonics, and Forster's reverb-drenched falsetto to great effect. "Slouching Toward Reality" will definitely be appearing on a year-end mix.

I was looking forward to hearing this after hearing a track on All songs Considered. None of the All Songs staff was familiar with Forster so focused on M. Ward's contributions. I myself didn't realize he was in For Stars. It's definitely a different direction.