New Stuff Worth Hearing

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#501 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,171 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Happy to say that Giant Single: The Profile Records Rap Anthology is every bit as wonderful as Andy Kellman says it is-- which is to say, the most essential rap anthology I've heard since the Def Jam 10th Anniversary set. Plus, you can never own too many copies of "Walk This Way."

#502 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,171 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

If you love the music of New Orleans-- or, for that matter, the music of Brazil-- you owe it to yourself to check out the new Galactic album, Carinvale Electricos. It's their thoroughly modern, electrifying celebration of the music of Mardi Gras and Carnivale; it releases, appropriately enough, on the day of Mardi Gras. There's hip-hop, rock, marching bands, zydeco... you name it. The point is, it's a gloriously original, ambitious, and exhuberant work, and an incredible party album. I've written more about it here.

#503 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,749 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

J Tillman, former Fleet Fox and now fronting under the moniker Father John Misty, has a pretty tasty piece of 70's AM Gold balladry. Anxious to hear the rest of the album, because of course I like all things Glenn Campbell, Bread and America.

The vibe of this tune reminded me of another album I used to have on my iPod several years ago and couldn't for the life of me remember what it was. Any other old-timers ever have that happen? I remembered what the album cover looked like and that the title had something to do with the ocean... and I remember liking it a lot, but could NOT recall any other info. Tried googling like a fiend, to no avail-- it was driving me nuts.

Old A&F post to the rescue!!!

Edited by Greg P, 04 April 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#504 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Lifeformed - Fastfall
Soundtrack to the indie video game Dustforce (which I haven't played, FWIW). Exists somewhere between Joy Electric's bleep-bloopy synth-pop and more eclectic electronic pop like Royksopp and Air, with some nice ambient bits here and there. (Bandcamp)

C-jeff - Preschtale
Epic chiptune rock with traces of psychedelia, progressive rock, and metal. I like to think of it as the soundtrack for a video game about a stranded astronaut warrior making his way across a foreboding alien planet... or something like that. (Bandcamp)

Lightfoils - Lightfoils EP
Excellent shoegazer pop EP in the vein of Lush and Chapterhouse, with darker bits reminiscent of The Cure's Disintegration here and there. Easily one of the best shoegazer releases I've heard in a long time. (Bandcamp, My review)

#505 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

It's NSFW, kinda heavy in a Fiona Apple-ish way... Meg Myers - Monster.

#506 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,749 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

The new album "Communion" doesnt officially hit till next week, but it's streaming in its entirety here. I've havent let the sprawling 24-track extravaganza soak in yet, but so far so good. Soundtrack of Our Lives, bros and sisters! yeah!

Wow... Over three and a half years ago since the last one... The new album Throw It To the Universe is out-- reportedly the band's last-- and I think it might be their best since Behind the Music, a decade ago. A few tracks sputter and die, and there's always one complete throwaway, but overall this is what they do so well-- big, clumsy post-psychedelia with Who riffage and Mott the Hoople flourishes. You Are The Beginning and Nothing Lasts Forever definitely hit the sweet spot. Sad to see these old guys pack it up.

#507 Hugues

Hugues

• 944 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:23 AM

Not new but it's almost the same with that reissue from Ace Records: Love, Priscilla. Even myself, a fan of the girl group sound, didn't expect so much from the sixties solo albums of Priscilla Paris (here Priscilla Paris sings herself and Priscilla loves Billie, the latter being a tribute to Lady Day), and was not sure she could do that with substance, just knowing her as a singer of the Paris Sisters, produced by Spector in the early sixties for a serie of dreamy singles, and Jack Nitzsche around 1966 for a very nice album called The Paris Sisters sing everything under the sun. I should have noticed, nonetheless, that Priscilla wrote some songs on the latter. And happened to know she was giving hell to Mr Nitzsche for insisting a lot for recording her own stuff. So, Priscilla wasn't only a singer, and wanted to record her own songs. And also, didn't want only sing in that dreamy style she's better known for (remember the hit "I love how you love me" from 1961). Actually, her voice could be very strong, and quite heartbreaking. They write it better than me on the Ace Records site, but I'll say that what's devastating is the mix of power and vulnerabilty that emerges from her recordings. And the way she conveys some kind of captivating mystery with her singing.

Another "dark star" again. She ended to give up and go for a day job in Paris, where she finally died accidentally in 2004. Remain those highly recommended recordings, especially the first album (Priscilla sings herself) from 1967.

Edited by Hugues, 18 August 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#508 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Maria Mckee's recent live version of Save Me. (I don't know what is up with the erotic dancer on crutches)

#509 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

I've posted about Jay Tholen's music before. He has a new two-song release that was originally going to be a soundtrack to a video game that he's working. But he's rebuilding the game from scratch, and rather than throw away the soundtrack, he released it as When Ominous Red Sailing Stones Sleep Beneath Fire Rainbows (my review). It's a far cry from the chiptune praise and worship of his previous albums, and much more exotic and experimental. Think Sufjan Stevens by way of The Avalanches, with some trippy bhangra rhythms, Oriental-sounding dulcimers, glitchwork, and samples from vintage Christian LPs thrown in for good measure.

#510 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Sam Billen's new album, Places, is out. I've been a fan of Billen's for quite some time, going back to his days in The Billions, and Places doesn't disappoint. It's not quite as quirky or poppy as his previous album (my review), but it's very well-made and very affecting in places.

#511 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Sam Billen's new album, Places, is out. I've been a fan of Billen's for quite some time, going back to his days in The Billions, and Places doesn't disappoint. It's not quite as quirky or poppy as his previous album (my review), but it's very well-made and very affecting in places.

This man put on one of the best shows I've seen. I caught The Billions a long while ago a Lawrence, Kansas music webcast (Turnpike, I think?), and loved everything I saw. I saw Sam when he was touring in support of his first album, and we ended up chatting a bit after his set. Glad he's still making music!

#512 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 960 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Sera Cahoone's new one is a real gem. Still up at NPR I think.

Also rather enjoying this band out of Washington called Wickerbird that have a stream up on Spinner. Sounds like an ambient Fleet Foxes.

#513 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 960 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Two new ones on NPR first listen that I am excited to listen to...

Tame Impala - Lonerism http://www.npr.org/2...impala-lonerism

and most especially

Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams http://www.npr.org/2...lonesome-dreams

Been following Lord Huron since their free releases on bandcamp, and they are pretty awesome.

#514 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Terror 404 by Perturbator
If you’ve ever imagined yourself travelling through a dystopian future where the Singularity has brought about the techno-apocalypse; where replicants and cyborgs prowl the neon-lit and rain-slicked cityscape; where your only respite is jacking into the Metaverse; where the net may be vast and infinite, but it’s also dark and scary… then this is probably going to sound eerily familiar to you.

Elephants at the Door by Dumbo Gets Mad
Delightfully deranged psych-pop in the vein of Flaming Lips and Viva Voce. "Eclectic Prawn" is currently my favorite song -- just check out that Led Zeppelin-meets-freaky organ breakdown. And you can get it free for a tweet or Facebook post.

Brother Sun, Sister Moon by Brother Sun, Sister Moon
One of my favorite albums of the year (my review). It's haunting, atmospheric, genre-skipping stuff that's recommended for fans of Flying Saucer Attack, Boards of Canada, or the Ghost Box label. And right now, it's available at "name your own price".

#515 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,749 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Just got James Blackshaw's Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death and love it. More meditative, melodic and complex stuff from the guitar virtuoso... the surprise vocal track with Genevieve Beaulieu doesn't quite work for me, but the rest is wonderful.

#516 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,265 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Tom Waits and Keith Richards recorded "Shenandoah" for Son of Rogues Gallery, an album of "Pirate Songs, Sea Songs & Chanteys."

NPR has the song here.

#517 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 960 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Youth Lagoon's new album 'Wondrous Bughouse' is streaming on NPR right now, and I'd highly recommend it. This might be the best Animal Collective album Animal Collective never wrote. Transcendant soundscapes.

#518 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,171 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I'll also plug this ridiculously fun Bajofondo album-- high-energy music with the dancefloor in mind, but a very sophisticated, composerly sense to it, as well. Well worth a listen.

#519 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,305 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Youth Lagoon's new album 'Wondrous Bughouse' is streaming on NPR right now, and I'd highly recommend it. This might be the best Animal Collective album Animal Collective never wrote. Transcendant soundscapes.

Hmm. Since I have tried and tried but failed to enjoy Animal Collective, I'm not sure whether this intrigues me or not.

#520 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 960 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Our musical tastes don't diverge nearly as much as I'm sure we'd both like (Same for most of the forumers here). And I've learned to live with that. I'm just really excited about what I consider the best album of the year I've heard so far, next to Jacco Gardner's Cabinet of Curiosities. And I expected to love it since I love his first album.

If it makes you feel any better, sorely disappointed with the new Josh Ritter. Just more of the same sound he's been doing for years, and it's wearing thin on me.