• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,720 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

Hi everyone--

Does anyone have any advice on VoIP services? We're looking into Yahoo Messenger with Voice to call family back in Albania, but are pretty new to the whole talk to people over the internet thing.

Has anyone used Yahoo Messenger for this?

Any other services? Likes? Dislikes?

#2 goneganesh

goneganesh

• 264 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, for international calling, Skype is the best VOiP option right now. You have to buy increments of 10 Euros worth of minutes, which works out to about 8-10 hours of calling. Check the rates for the specific country that you're trying to call, there is an inexpensive "one rate", but certain countries are more expensive per minute.

#3 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,720 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

Thanks folks. I think we'll try Skype or Jajah if we can't get Yahoo to work for PC to PC calling. Still looks pricey to call Albania--$0.19 cents a minute.

#4 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,720 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Apr 17 2006, 11:11 PM) View Post

(That's more than Vonage...and [if you have a cable modem or equivalent] Vonage will save you $$ every month. I'd estimate we're saving $30-$40 per month, plus we get lots of extra features in Vonage. But I guess it's not for everyone.)

Hmm. I poked around Vonage's site--it looked like $0.16/min, plus a monthly charge to enable the phone service. Did I miss something? I don't want a new phone service, we use cell phones only.

#5 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,474 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:52 AM

Last night I got Skype for my laptop and my cell phone -- I can't remember why, now -- and tonight I had a half-hour video chat with my oldest friend, a guy I've known since Grade 2 (i.e. since the fall of '77) who has been living in Australia since '97 and whose last visit to Vancouver was back in '06. I even got to wave and say hi to his fiancee and her son. Wowzers. I am in awe, once again, of our technological age.

And the fact that we got cut off briefly in the middle of our chat really doesn't seem like anything worth complaining about, because, y'know, we WERE communicating with each other in real time and at no cost, despite being on opposite sides of the planet.

On a related note, before the video chat, I was exchanging e-mails with my dad about Skype, and he mentioned that we can now make free phone calls to anywhere in North America by using the phone feature on our Gmail interface. The moment I got his e-mail to that effect, I immediately placed a call to his number. And so, yes, I found that that, too, is true. (Admittedly, calling my dad is not long-distance for me, but I'll test that option soon, too, as soon as I can figure out who to call.)

Boy, do I feel dumb for buying calling cards -- or, worse, making calls at full long-distance rates -- these last few years.