Photo

Favourite Hitchcocks

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite Hitchcock film?

What is your favorite Hitchcock film?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,730 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Raymond Chandler takes Hitchcock to task i/r/t Strangers on a Train:

Regardless of whether or not my name appears on the screen among the credits, I'm not afraid that anybody will think I wrote this stuff. They'll know damn well I didn't. I shouldn't have minded in the least if you had produced a better script—believe me. I shouldn't. But if you wanted something written in skim milk, why on earth did you bother to come to me in the first place? What a waste of money! What a waste of time! It's no answer to say that I was well paid. Nobody can be adequately paid for wasting his time.

#182 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,383 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

I'd love to read Chandler's original draft of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN.

I quite like the finished film, though. It features one of the best Hitchcock villains.

#183 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I wanted to make sure everyone on here knew about it:

http://www.ferdyonfilms.com/?p=13979

#184 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,915 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'll take this opportunity to post this interview with Guillermo Del Toro in which he shares his vast knowledge and insight into Hitchcock. SDG and others take note that Del Toro talks about I CONFESS here as being a key Hitchcock film for him.

#185 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,383 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Raymond Chandler takes Hitchcock to task i/r/t Strangers on a Train:

Regardless of whether or not my name appears on the screen among the credits, I'm not afraid that anybody will think I wrote this stuff. They'll know damn well I didn't. I shouldn't have minded in the least if you had produced a better script—believe me. I shouldn't. But if you wanted something written in skim milk, why on earth did you bother to come to me in the first place? What a waste of money! What a waste of time! It's no answer to say that I was well paid. Nobody can be adequately paid for wasting his time.

FWIW, I was just watching some of the special features on the Criterion PURPLE NOON disc, and Patricia Highsmith says that STRANGERS ON A TRAIN is her favorite of the cinematic adaptations of her work.

#186 Callisto

Callisto

• 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

I just watched Vertigo and Notorious. I guess the second one is othe best thing shot in Brazil I have seen...