(unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

--content deleted--

#2 jamesharrelson

jamesharrelson

• 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:51 AM

The next movie should be "Superman & Lois", given the Warners will mine again from the Batman franchise.

Edited by jamesharrelson, 13 July 2006 - 11:51 AM.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,830 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:06 PM

Wouldn't it have to be Superman Forever, first? smile.gif

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:26 AM

: Talent agency insiders with ties to the film tell TMZ that Warner Bros. Pictures president and COO
: Alan Horn has informed agents that a sequel hinges on whether grosses of "Superman Returns"
: can crest the $200 million mark domestically.

And last weekend, it did.

Link to the thread for the previous film.

#5 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

Singer's zinger: another 'Superman'
Bryan Singer has inked a deal with Warner Bros. Pictures to direct and produce a sequel to "Superman Returns," with Legendary Pictures expected to co-finance. Pic is tentatively intended for release in summer 2009, although the studio stressed that there's not even a script or budget yet.
Variety, October 30

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:14 AM

Well, there were three-year gaps between the X-Men movies (2000, 2003, 2006), and between the Star Wars (1977, 1980, 1983; 1999, 2002, 2005) movies too, come to that. Even the original Superman films (1978, 1980, 1983, 1987) had gaps of three or four years between them, the only exception being between the first two films, which were shot partly simultaneously. And the Batman films (1989, 1992, 1995, 1997) were also released at a pace of every three years, mostly -- except for that last one with Arnold Schwarzenegger and George Clooney, which was rushed into production after only two years, and basically killed the franchise. (Batman Begins is such a different beast that it's not really the same franchise any more.) So for a big-budgeted superhero movie that hasn't even been written yet, a three-year gap seems reasonable.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 31 October 2006 - 02:15 AM.

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:49 PM

United Artists grabs Singer thriller
United Artists toppers Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner have greenlit their second film, an original thriller that Bryan Singer will direct as his next feature. The untitled film re-teams Singer with "The Usual Suspects" screenwriter Chris McQuarrie. . . . The film will delay Warner Bros.' hope of mounting a sequel to "Superman Returns" in the near future.
Variety, March 13

#8 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

Exclusive : Superman WON'T go it alone
After the slightly . . . disappointing returns on "Superman Returns", Warner were in two minds about whether to continue the series or not -- right away, anyway. One idea that came up was to make their long-planned "Justice League" movie, and possibly just incorporate 'Superman' into that. Cut to a month or so ago, and the trades announce that the studio is in the early stages of developing a "Justice League" movie. Interestingly enough, a couple of weeks later, those some publications announce that the next "Superman" sequel could be delayed -- because director Bryan Singer has gone and got himself involved in another film; a thriller for United Artists. Interesting hey? Well, the plot thickens, I heard from a pretty reliable source this weekend -- who, has some top contacts himself -- who essentially confirmed that the WB are thinking of putting the next "Superman" movie into turnaround, and instead will just use the character in the new "Justice League" movie. (Funnily enough, Batman would not be involved in the new film -- he's too big to waste on a film like this, apparently).
Moviehole.net, March 19

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:14 AM

Spacey set for 'Superman' sequel
Kevin Spacey will return as Lex Luthor in "Superman: Man of Steel" and appear in "Telstar," Nick Moran's film version of Moran and James Hicks' 2005 darkly comic West End play about flamboyant '60s record mogul Joe Meek. "Superman" director Bryan Singer met with Spacey in New York while the latter was appearing on Broadway in Eugene O'Neill's recently wrapped "Moon for the Misbegotten." Singer was about to pitch his "Man of Steel" sequel to Warner Bros.; "Superman Returns" scripter Michael Dougherty is now writing the screenplay. After Singer completes "Valkyrie" and "The Mayor of Castro Street," he plans to start production on "Man of Steel" next year for a 2009 release. . . .
Variety, July 10

#10 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

So the Superman franchise is going with naming schemes similar to the new Batman franchise? Interesting.

#11 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Jul 11 2007, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spacey set for 'Superman' sequel
Kevin Spacey will return as Lex Luthor in "Superman: Man of Steel" and appear in "Telstar," Nick Moran's film version of Moran and James Hicks' 2005 darkly comic West End play about flamboyant '60s record mogul Joe Meek. "Superman" director Bryan Singer met with Spacey in New York while the latter was appearing on Broadway in Eugene O'Neill's recently wrapped "Moon for the Misbegotten." Singer was about to pitch his "Man of Steel" sequel to Warner Bros.; "Superman Returns" scripter Michael Dougherty is now writing the screenplay. After Singer completes "Valkyrie" and "The Mayor of Castro Street," he plans to start production on "Man of Steel" next year for a 2009 release. . . .
Variety, July 10

I thought Kevin Spacey had retired from film acting....

#12 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

Clint M wrote:
: So the Superman franchise is going with naming schemes similar to the new Batman franchise? Interesting.

Yeah, I figured that was the scheme back when Begins and Returns came out. Can't say I like the way they're perpetuating that, myself. The two franchises are very different (not least because Begins was a full-fledged re-boot, whereas Returns is essentially an alternate sequel to earlier sequels in the existing franchise), and deserve to be kept so.

Phill Lytle wrote:
: I thought Kevin Spacey had retired from film acting....

He addresses -- or, rather, rebutts -- those rumours in the linked article.

The bigger concern for me is that the first semi-definite word about the Superman sequel is about Spacey at ALL -- partly because it's somewhat worrying that the villain should still matter more than the hero (has anyone talked to Brandon Routh re: whether HE will be in the sequel?), and partly because I don't see why Lex Luthor has to be in every single cotton-pickin' Superman film (the only one he WASN'T in was Superman III, where the lead villain was basically a movie-only imitation of Luthor; why can't these films use any of the OTHER supervillains from the comic books, the way the Batman films have always done!?).

#13 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,305 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:15 PM

How about the return of Zod?

Played by...

oh...

would you be okay with...

TERRENCE STAMP??

Might happen.

#14 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,991 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:35 AM

I think it's a bad idea. The homages of "Superman Returns" veered to close to ripoff. Having Stamp as Zod would make the next film more of that lineage.

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

'Superman' writers won't return
Superman needs some ideas for what his next adventure might be. "Superman Returns" scribes Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris have opted not to come back and pen a sequel to the 2006 summer pic that would have reunited them with helmer Bryan Singer. The three also worked together on "X2: X-Men United."
Variety, October 21

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:29 AM

Cape fear: Superman still grounded
Could the WGA strike prove Kryptonite to the Man of Steel?
With the work stoppage playing havoc with studio slates, Warner's planned sequel to Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" could be locked up in the Fortress of Solitude for some time. . . .
Before Singer started production on UA's "Valkyrie," WB and co-financier Legendary Pictures closed a deal for him to produce and direct "Superman: Man of Steel."
According to a spokesman for the director's reps at William Morris, "'Superman' is moving forward with Bryan Singer attached." But inside the studio, "Superman" is not on any fast track, and word is that Singer may wind up not directing it. . . .
Variety, January 11

#17 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,991 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

All I can say is, this does nothing to move me - and I'm a Superman fan from waaaaaay back. Singer's Superman Returns hardened me, jaded me. It tried so hard and fell short of greatness, and I no longer have faith that Singer can pull it off. I'd rather Singer have another go than Ratner, McG, or Burton get their crack at it, but I'd MUCH rather see another director, a fresh director, take the reins. I want to believe that a man can not only fly - but can be truly good and noble and self-sacrificing that he inspires ME to be a hero. I don't think Singer has that in him.

#18 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,830 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

Singer Talks Superman Returns Sequel
Earlier today, IESB reported that rumours were flying that Bryan Singer was working on a sequel to Superman Returns. Well, we've spoken to Singer and he's confirmed that work's under way on the film that some said would never happen because the first was perceived as a flop. . . . " . . . I'm just getting back with writers after the strike. We're just in the development phase. I'm starting to develop a sequel...with the intention of directing it."
Empire Online, March 11

#19 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,305 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

I'm more than happy to see Singer try again. I was unmoved and disappointed with his first attempt, but he's still 2-1 when it comes to superhero films.

#20 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,991 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Alan Thomas @ Mar 11 2008, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Burton, Denes?!? BURTON?

Yes, I'd rather Singer than Burton. That surprises you?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zack Snyder