Photo

Arrested Development

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you respond to "catchy" new show promos?

How do you respond to "catchy" new show promos?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, after this and Cinderella Man (put me down in the "pro" camp), I've gotta hand it to Ron Howard. He's doing something right. At the very least, I don't think he should any longer be the butt of jokes about epitomizing mediocrity. Not until he returns to it.

#22 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

I agree, at least with respect to this show. Somehow I didn't even recognize Howard as the narrator until I read it somewhere.

It destroyed my whole worldview.

#23 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

Dale, the board is moving at the speed of molasses as I attempt to post this, but if you read it – and I KNOW you’re online, because I see your posts in the “Top 100” thread! – you simply must respond.

Tonight is the premiere of Season 3 of “Arrested Development.” As you know, and as this thread explains, I’m all caught up … on Season 1. The Hamakers’ summer-long TV-fast prevented me from watching the rerun block of Season 2 episodes, so I’m in the dark.

The TV guide description of tonight’s episode indicates that Jason Bateman’s character goes off in search of his father. So, is his dad out of jail?

These, and other key details, are left to you to reveal. Or, if you’d rather leave me hanging in the breeze, I can simply rely on the voiceover narration at the beginning of tonight’s episode.

But you care enough to help a brutha’ out, don’t you?

#24 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

Okay. Giving as few spoilers as possible for season 2 (although some of them I'll have to), here's the current status for all the characters leading into season 3:

Gob: May be Steve Holt!'s father.

George Michael: Dating Ann (girl at the banana stand in the last episode of season one); kissed Maeby.

Maeby: Unknown to anyone, left school to become a studio executive; made remake of Les cousins dangereux (the movie she and G.M. tried to sneak into in season 1); kissed George Michael.

Tobias: Left Lindsay to run off with Kitty to Vegas, where he is trying to join the Blue Man Group.

Lindsay: Other than the above, little change.

Buster: Got left hand bitten off by a seal; found out who his true father is.

Michael: Still running the company.

George, Sr.: Turned himself in to the police after a year on the lam, but switched places with Oscar after knocking out Oscar and shaving his head.

Oscar: In prison in George, Sr.'s place; trying to convince prison officers that he's Oscar and not George, Sr.; inadvertently outed himself as Buster's actual father.

Lucille: Sleeping with Oscar, except, y'know, obviously not right now.

Marc Cherry: Claims "Desperate Housewives" is a satire.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 19 September 2005 - 01:13 PM.

#25 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:11 PM

Excellent, fine sir!

But, who's Kitty?

#26 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:05 PM

George, Sr.'s assistant -- the one who was on the yacht when it blew up. (Also the one who got the breast enhancement surgery, if you'd rather go that route of identification.)

Dale

#27 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(M. Dale Prins @ Sep 19 2005, 04:05 PM)
(Also the one who got the breast enhancement surgery, if you'd rather go that route of identification.)

It's suddenly become clear to me.

#28 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

Was last night's episode great, or am I so desperate for decent sitcom writing that I'm overpraising it? I laughed out loud three or four times, but Sarah just smiled. Maybe I over-reacted.

#29 kebbie

kebbie

• 431 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:32 AM

Never before have I been in such agony over my lack of the FOX channel. My bunny-eared antenna only picks up ABC and NBC. It's almost enough to make me consider coughing up the money for basic cable... almost.

All that to say, I have recently started watching "Arrested Development" on DVD. Adore it. Hilariously sardonic. Have netflixed the remainder of season one and all of season two (due out at the beginning of October)... and lament the fact that, like all the television series my husband and I love, we came to this one too late to keep up with it properly. "Arrested Development" waits for no one, whether they get FOX or not.

#30 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:03 PM

Last night's ep was pretty dang awesome -- particularly through the first commercial break, where I seriously wondered if it might beat out the season-two finale as The Greatest Half-Hour of Television Ever. It petered out a little toward the end (until the "on the next episode," of course), but still.

I believe I [heart] "AD" more than any show ever.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 20 September 2005 - 01:04 PM.

#31 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:01 PM

I link to this without comment.

#32 jord

jord

• 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:16 AM

oh...my. Tonight's back-to-back episodes were priceless. The finale of the last one was one of the most elaborately conceived and hysterical yet, and that is saying a lot. Tobias was at his best and the inevitable Rita revelation added to the pain/hilarity. I just got the second season dvd and I already can't wait for the third season, heh.

#33 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:38 AM

We watched both episodes. I thought the first was far superior to the second, but even the second was better than most everything else on TV.

I really hope FOX keeps this show on the air.

Edited by Christian, 08 November 2005 - 09:38 AM.

#34 Christian

Christian

• 10,781 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(M. Dale Prins @ Sep 19 2005, 01:00 PM)
Okay.  Giving as few spoilers as possible for season 2 (although some of them I'll Maeby: Unknown to anyone, left school to become a studio executive; made remake of Les cousins dangereux (the movie she and G.M. tried to sneak into in season

Ah, so that explains last night's 8:30 episode. I had no idea. I really do need to watch Season 2.

#35 kebbie

kebbie

• 431 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:24 PM

How long does it typically take for a just-ended TV season to arrive on DVD? We just got done with Season Two of this show, and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next...

#36 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

They're in season 3 now. Season 2 hit DVD in early October just prior to or after the start of the new season and after the reruns of season 2.

And if there's a better character than GOB in an American sitcom, I'll eat my hat.

#37 kebbie

kebbie

• 431 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the context for the release dates. Guess I'll have to perch on the edge of my seat quite a bit longer...

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 8 2005, 02:46 PM)
And if there's a better character than GOB in an American sitcom, I'll eat my hat.

View Post

I'll drink to that! Among other, more subtle character traits, I love his magician voice. And the accompanying music. (This morning, my husband was tossing a pair of socks around as if he were juggling them, and he totally had that low-riding, backward-leaning, pelvis-thrust-out posture Gob usually assumes when doing a trick... so I started chiming in Gob's magician soundtrack. smile.gif)

#38 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:34 PM

You mean "The Final Countdown," right?

Me, I'm trying hard to get his chicken dance down right.

#39 kebbie

kebbie

• 431 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 8 2005, 03:34 PM)
You mean "The Final Countdown," right? 

Me, I'm trying hard to get his chicken dance down right.

View Post

Yup, that's the song... I couldn't remember the name.

I love how everyone in the family apparently has their own chicken dance. Lindsay's busted it out before, and I was absolutely delighted to discover midway through the second season that Lucille has one, too.

#40 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:53 PM

Michael: "Has anyone in this family actually seen a chicken?"

You'll be happy to know that, following last night's episode, they all also have a Godzilla impression.