Photo

Arrested Development

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you respond to "catchy" new show promos?

How do you respond to "catchy" new show promos?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:36 AM

It's over, at least during the November sweeps:

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Time to restart those vigils for "Arrested Development." And while you're at it, light a candle for "Kitchen Confidential" too.
The two FOX comedies have been shelved for the remainder of sweeps -- "Kitchen Confidential," in fact, hasn't aired since the first week of October -- in favor of repeats of "Prison Break," which have performed better in the 8 p.m. Monday hour than either "Arrested" or "Kitchen" this season. The network says the comedies will return Dec. 5, following the close of sweeps.

#42 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

Now Reuters says the show, although it will air again in December, has been canceled:

The Bluth clan of Fox's ratings-challenged "Arrested Development" is also headed for the exit after Fox cut the third-season order on the Emmy-winning comedy to 13 episodes.

Also getting the ax at Fox is "Arrested's" companion on Monday, the freshman comedy "Kitchen Confidential," whose order will not be extended beyond the initial 13 episodes.

There is a possibility that ["Arrested Development"] will be shopped around, but its high cost is expected to be prohibitive for a cable network.

#43 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,849 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

angry.gif cussing.gif smilies23.gif:-->evil.gif tantrum.gif

#44 Russ

Russ

• 1,084 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

Don't worry, Fox. I'm sure pre-empting the show for a month for baseball playoffs didn't cause it to lose steam. And then, of course, the night is new now. And at least you didn't make a hasty decision and pull it after just one night of showings post-hiatus.

#45 kebbie

kebbie

• 431 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:29 AM

I too have some strong words for Fox about this. How is it that they manage to hack so many shows to death when they've barely even begun? Why, Fox, why? I'm still mad at you for Firefly, and now you had to go and kill Arrested Development. Bastards!

#46 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

If FOX were to continue AD as a BBC/HBO style series (12-14 episodes per season), I don't think I would have a problem. I'd be fine with that.

It's still not canceled, so I'm holding out hope. (OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!)

#47 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:29 AM

Last night was the greatest ending to any television episode ever. I am not hyperbolizing.

Dale

#48 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:30 AM

Really? I asked a co-worker to tape it for me. I hope she did. I'll know later today. Looking forward to watching it, especially because I think the ending might have something to do with Michael's planned nuptials -- a storyline that hasn't much impressed me, while the other story threads have been highly amusing.

I still need to see Season 2!

Edited by Christian, 06 December 2005 - 10:31 AM.

#49 jord

jord

• 26 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(M. Dale Prins @ Dec 6 2005, 07:29 AM)
Last night was the greatest ending to any television episode ever.  I am not hyperbolizing.

View Post

ha, yeah, that episode just kept on getting better and better until reaching untold levels of Arrested Development greatness. I love how the Tobias hair-plants thing is taking a really dark turn as well. Can't wait for next week.

#50 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:06 PM

Are you guys on Season Three in the States? We just finished Season Two over here, and the last four episodes of that Season are hysterical (mostly fair-to-middlin' in the middle though).

#51 Anders

Anders

• 2,849 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:08 PM

ohmy.gif sad.gif I missed it last night!

#52 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:12 AM

More stunt casting as the show heads toward a finale.

#53 Anders

Anders

• 2,849 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(jord @ Dec 6 2005, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE(M. Dale Prins @ Dec 6 2005, 07:29 AM)
Last night was the greatest ending to any television episode ever.  I am not hyperbolizing.

View Post

ha, yeah, that episode just kept on getting better and better until reaching untold levels of Arrested Development greatness. I love how the Tobias hair-plants thing is taking a really dark turn as well. Can't wait for next week.

View Post

Ok, in my quest to avoid essay writing I downloaded the Monday night episode I had missed (instead I went to see Good Night and Good Luck).

BRILLIANT. They handled the ending nicely, in what could have been cruel and uncomfortable, instead it was hilarious but sweet.

Oh, and not only are Tobias's hair implants ridiculous, but his clueless throw-away lines just get me all the time:

(To Michael discussing British-isms)

TOBIAS: Oh yes, like how they call "tourists," "poofters." laugh.gif

#54 Mark

Mark

Musical Berger de Brie I

• 984 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Dec 9 2005, 10:12 AM)
More stunt casting as the show heads toward a finale.

View Post

Wow, before I read the name, I thought that was Marilyn Manson without makeup. Is that Justine's new look, or is she in character for the role? huh.gif

#55 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:55 PM

Catch a few reruns in the 8:30-9:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) slot the next few weeks, now that Kitchen Confidential has been axed.

#56 Russ

Russ

• 1,084 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for noting that. I had no idea until it was posted here that they even ran a new episode last week.

#57 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

So my wife meets me for lunch, and casually lets it drop that she watched Arrested Development last night. She says this matter-of-factly, but she knows that, in my excitement to see King Kong last night, I forgot to ask my co-worker to tape the episode. So I can't watch it. And the news that she enjoyed it ... it's like a dagger to my heart.

She told me about the episode, and I laughed listening to her descriptions of various scenes.

#58 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:18 PM

Dale recorded it and will be watching it tonight.

the guy who recorded it and will be watching it tonight

#59 Anders

Anders

• 2,849 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Dec 13 2005, 11:25 AM) View Post

So my wife meets me for lunch, and casually lets it drop that she watched Arrested Development last night. She says this matter-of-factly, but she knows that, in my excitement to see King Kong last night, I forgot to ask my co-worker to tape the episode. So I can't watch it. And the news that she enjoyed it ... it's like a dagger to my heart.

She told me about the episode, and I laughed listening to her descriptions of various scenes.

I can totally understand. I was enroute from Victoria to Saskatoon, inflight while the episode aired. Fortunately my brother taped it and I got to see it. I laughed harder than I have at any other episode this year. Some supremely funny moments.

#60 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

Oh, heck, let's just post the entire Variety article:

---
Fox still hasn't officially canceled "Arrested Development," but if it does, other networks are interested in the show.

Both ABC and Showtime have had conversations with 20th Century Fox TV and indicated they're open to making a deal for new episodes of the critically beloved, Emmy-winning comedy from creator Mitch Hurwitz. No formal negotiations have taken place, and there are still numerous hurdles that might prevent such a move -- including the show's hefty pricetag.

That said, those familiar with the talks described them as serious, with Showtime said to be in particularly hot pursuit of the ratings-challenged laffer, now on life support at Fox. Skein's third-season order was recently cut to 13 episodes.

Showtime could be a good place for "Arrested." Skein's subversive humor and heavily serialized storylines always made it a tough sell as a mass-appeal broadcast series. What's more, Showtime already has a potential companion for "Arrested" in "Weeds," which just received a second-season pickup. That show is a suburban satire centered on a drug-dealing soccer mom played by Mary-Louise Parker.

Network entertainment topper Robert Greenblatt has made an aggressive push to make Showtime a player in the comedy biz. He's greenlit several since his arrival -- including "Fat Actress" and "Barbershop" -- and "Arrested" could be the piece de resistance. If even half of the skein's Fox viewers -- last averaging around 4 million per episode -- watched on Showtime, "Arrested" would be an instant cable hit.

ABC, meanwhile, is also looking to make its mark in comedy, having already established itself as the home of TV's most buzzworthy dramas ("Lost," "Desperate Housewives," "Grey's Anatomy"). Net has high hopes for upcoming laffers, such as "Emily's Reason's Why Not," "Crumbs" and "Sons and Daughters," as well as a sophomore contender, "Jake in Progress."

Since Fox has yet to officially cop to canceling "Arrested," 20th can't formally make any deals with another net. There are other barriers to setting the show up elsewhere, however.

Studio has already deficited millions in order to produce the show, which costs about $1. 6 million per half-hour to produce. It's believed 20th deficits about $400,000 per episode.

Even if ABC or Showtime stepped up with the same license fee Fox now forks over for the show, 20th execs will have to decide whether it's worth it to sink more money into a show that isn't a proven ratings winner. That's one reason the studio might push for at least a 22-episode (or greater) commitment from a net.

Studio needs 36 episodes to get "Arrested" to the magic number of 88 episodes required for syndication. But even if it gets to syndication, there's no guarantee of a rich payday in the off-net market.

On the other hand, "Arrested" is a winner in the DVD market, and more episodes mean more DVD sales. Skein could also take off if given mass exposure on a cabler such as Showtime -- particularly now that the feevee cabler is part of Leslie Moonves' CBS Corp. family.

Moonves certainly knows something about making lemons out of lemonade. One of his first acts upon taking over CBS was picking up a show from NBC called "JAG." Skein ran for nearly a decade on the Eye and spawned the successful spinoff "NCIS."

Studio, Showtime and ABC declined comment.

---