Trailer Alert!

Looks cool, but a warning for others: IMHO this trailer gives away an awful lot that I probably would have preferred to discover in the cinema.

No kidding... especially if you watch portions of it in slow motion.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like him, I don't Robin Williams was the man for that part. I know he's trying to be a Jon Stewart-type, but one of the great things about Stewart is that he can play the role straight-faced (though he certainly hams it up at times). The veneer of seriousness is one of the things that makes The Daily Show's type of humor, well, funny. I don't get that from this trailer; it looks like yet another over-the-top performance by Williams, when perhaps someone capable of a bit more restraint would be more effective.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! Painfully miscast...

*sigh* and no doubt yet another favourite novel is murdered.

I'm guessing you're talking about Hartnet (I can definitely see Eckhart as Lee). Ellroy fans have been grumbling about this for a well over two years. I think he's passable; Ellroy said in an interview that Josh "nailed it" (or something to that effect), but Ellroy is...uh...notorious for saying really stupid things.

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! Painfully miscast...

*sigh* and no doubt yet another favourite novel is murdered.

I'm guessing you're talking about Hartnet (I can definitely see Eckhart as Lee). Ellroy fans have been grumbling about this for a well over two years. I think he's passable; Ellroy said in an interview that Josh "nailed it" (or something to that effect), but Ellroy is...uh...notorious for saying really stupid things.

probably need to move this to the newly created black dahlia thread. Yeah, Hartnett although I rate his abilities far higher than I do Scarlett Johansen's. She's doing her very best to beat Winona Ryder to the "best female Keanu impersonator" award. She's a shockingly dull actress, lord knows why people cast her, I'd forgive her if she was at least bad but no... no... just D.U.L.L.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

Penn

Law

Winslet

Hopkins

Clarkson

Ruffalo

All the King's Men

I can't think of many British actors that can do decent Southern accents. I'll go ahead and toss Sean Penn in there too.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Viggo Mortensen is... Captain Alatriste.

I'll be seeing this in Toronto. Looks like it could a nice, grandiose, epic-type swashbuckler.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine just posted a trailer to his second effort on this website. It's called silent voices, and looks to be very different from his first effort, Glances.

I really liked Glances. The characters are my friend and his wife, and you can watch the short film in its entirety on the website. It won some local awards too.

• 3 weeks later...

Dallas Jenkins is in postproduction on a feature-length version of Midnight Clear -- the trailer is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do1kRNfnlXc. He produced an excellent short film by the same name (with some of the same cast) last year -- really quite good. This trailer shows some of the expanded story lines and suggests some solid acting performances are on the way. (Actress K Callan was terrific in the short, and came back for the feature.)

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit obscure of a documentary: Subdivided: Isolation and community in America. But the concept is much to my personal liking. See the trailer on this blog, and some stills at this link.

Airs on Dallas PBS 3 January.

Breach, the new film from the director of Shattered Glass. With Ryan Phillipe as Jason Bourne... I mean, um, a young spy... and Chris Cooper as the villain who we know is a villain because, well, he's a Catholic of course.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Factory Girl.

Transformers.

And http://movies.aol.com/movie/oceans-13/24822/trailer' target="_blank">Ocean

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Grindhouse, the latest from Tarantino and Rodriguez. It looks like both are taking the exploitative indulgences of Sin City and Kill Bill to brand new extremes.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook