What I'm Watching This Weekend

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it's early, but as I note elsewhere, it's going to be moving day for my mother this weekend. Films aren't likely. I will, however, be watching clips of Up during my sermon. I'm doing pulpit supply at First Christian Church of Orange while the sr. pastor is headed to Hawaii - to work, really (well, sorta). If you're in the area, come see what kind of sermon you can make from Up. (No doubt you'd come up with a different one than I have.)

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 1 month later...

The Runaways (second viewing)

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I'll be having more DVD weekends these days: In Bruges, In Praise of Love, My Best Friend: Klaus Kinski. And of course a bit of Da Bears.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

'Mishima' is a fascinating film - I was bowled over when I first saw it a few years ago.

Up for me this weekend:

- 'Red Beard'

- 'Dodeskaden' - just got my Criterion DVD in the mail!

- 'Russian Dolls' - I very much enjoyed a recent viewing of 'L'Auberge Espagnole,' so I'm looking forward to this followup film

- 'Get Low' just made it to town, so I'm hoping to check it out

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I think I'll skip Summer Hours and watch the Buckeyes beat down on the U.

If it were another film I might tell you that you can find time for both. I'm not going to do that.

I have Brothers and City Island from Netflix, as well as all that stuff they let you watch on your computer. If I do get out to a theater this weekend (which is kind of iffy), I might catch the 50th anniversary screening of Breathless.

I'm really hoping to get out to Lebanon in the next week. Thanks for the reminder, Darrel. UPDATE: Actually, looks like it just left my area. Darn. sad.gif

This weekend, it'll probably be a bunch of movies I've started over the last few weeks but haven't finished: Kagemusha, Bright Star, and Alexander Nevsky. And hopefully I'll get to The Agony and the Ecstacy before I run out of renewals.

Edited by N.W. Douglas

Wow. Lebanon keeps opening in new places each week and nobody is making plans to see it. Sigh.

I discovered upon my return from vacation that it was playing at a local Landmark theater, but I don't think I'll make it. I'm hoping to catch up with it during awards season, though.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Tomorrow at the Egyptian: a 35mm screening of Fear and Desire, with Paul Mazursky in person.

Later this week, Technicolor Hitchcock.

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Addendum:

Had lots of fun tonight listening to Paul Mazursky recall through 59 years of fog the shooting of Kubrick's arty first feature. Found out it was shot over five weeks in a Boy Scout camp in San Gabriel and crewed by "three Mexican guys." The 35mm print (apparently the only one of its kind extant) looked great and did full justice to Kubrick's fine photographic eye. The representative from the George Eastman House said that she hoped a restoration and subsequent DVD release would soon be possible, although no plans have been made toward that end.

The film itself (you can currently watch it on Google Video) is an awkward but interesting artifact from a fledgling filmmaker still learning film grammar. Some of the faults must be credited to Howard Sackler's pretentious screenplay, although the multiple interior monologues of the soldiers suggest that Terrence Malick may have looked at this before making The Thin Red Line.

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Old Faithful, Mud Pots, waterfalls, ...

Leaving today for a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

A doubt there is an arthouse.

[bevis and Butthead impression]

Butthead: Tetons.....

Bevis: Heh heh.... heh heh...

[/bevis and Butthead impression]

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

You Again

and maybe

Lorna's Silence

The Edge of Heaven

Public Enemies

--Has anyone here heard of a movie called Whisky? I grabbed it but havne't watched it. I need a push. I'd never heard of the film.

Old Faithful, Mud Pots, waterfalls, ...

Leaving today for a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

A doubt there is an arthouse.

[bevis and Butthead impression]

Butthead: Tetons.....

Bevis: Heh heh.... heh heh...

[/bevis and Butthead impression]

B&B would be right to giggle. The signage notes the name comes from some no doubt lonely French trappers who name the mountains les trois tetons: the three breasts. I told my wife that judging from the source and guessing etymology, it is probably exactly what B&B were thinking.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and kids are leaving for a few days this weekend, so here's what I've got tentatively lined up:

Red Cliff

Still Walking

Mother

Moon

Objectified

Black Narcissus

However, I also need to get in some Halo: Reach, so we'll see how it goes. :)

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Couldn't find a thread on it here, but I grabbed A Town Called Panic and think I might watch it with my kids tomorrow morning. Is it kid-friendly? I haven't been able to tell from the two reviews I've read, although it's a French production, and the linked review indicates it has subtitles. However, I saw a few minutes of the film on Hulu, and the footage contained no dialogue -- only visual gags.

Earlier today I saw Stone.

I suspect A TOWN CALLED PANIC would play well with kids, provided they could keep up with the subtitles. It's not particularly dialogue driven, for what it's worth. Most of the humor is decidedly visual, and I suspect I'd have gotten a kick out of it even if I hadn't understood what anyone was saying.

Edited by Ryan H.

Not going to get out much this weekend, somebody's got to watch these chiggers. I'm starting my Octoberfest Halloween kick again, but trying to avoid tipping into Eurogore as I really went off the deep end last year. This year the plan is for classics, and even classic alterna-horror to see for the first time or revisit. This weekend: Jacob's Ladder and Donnie Darko, for sure. On the horizon: The Changeling (haven't seen), The Thing (haven't seen), The Shining. Should be fun to blog some horror in Oct.