What I'm Watching This Weekend

Around a Small Mountain, A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop, and Fear Me Not. Half way done with Fear Me Not and can't wait to bug specifically Andrew to see this one.

Stef, have you seen much Rivette? Around a Small Mountain is a small-in-scale but beautiful little film, but don't go into it with the expectation of being dazzled. My friend Danny has a good, short piece about it at Mubi.

Cool, thanks! I will check that out before (and probably after) I get to it this weekend. In screening the EUFF films at the Siskel this month it reminded me there were quite a few I still haven't caught up with that played the local fest last year. Around a Small Mountain is one of those.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, and to answer your other question, I've only seen The History of Marie and Julien.

Which I quite liked.

Edited by Persona

A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop

Prediction: you will hate this film with a passion.

Because I loved Blood Simple since it came out in the 80s?

Wow, Ryan, did you ever call this one. From my Film Journal:

Mar - A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop* (Yimou Zhang) Didn't Finish. I hate this film.

Wow, Ryan, did you ever call this one. From my Film Journal:

Mar - A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop* (Yimou Zhang) Didn't Finish. I hate this film.

Somehow I knew an oddball martial arts comedy-thriller that moves between dark violence and the zaniness of a Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote cartoon wouldn't really be your thing. Truth be told, it's not really my thing, either, at least not as this film attempts it. Though I did manage to finish the film.

And for the record, I'm a big fan of Hero, and an especially big fan of House of Flying Daggers.

Off to see Of Gods and Men with the D.C. A&F crowd.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

?!?! There is a DCAFKANFaSDBG?

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

He's making it up, but I do think there's a Vancouver faction happening.

I've seem some bad films lately. Hope the weekend helps shake some of this off -- my final weekend at the Siskel for EUFF:

Letters to Father Jakob. (Finland, 74 min.) Director: Klaus Härö

The Temptation of St. Tony. (Estonia, 110 min.) Director: Veiko Õunpuu

Trust Me. (Sweden, 105 min.) Director: Johan Kling

Applause. (Denmark, 85 min.) Director: Martin Zandvliet Really disappointed that I won't be able to make it to this one, especially in light of the fact that the latter two films above were kinda stinkers.

Edited by Persona

He's making it up, but I do think there's a Vancouver faction happening.

I saw the film with Mssrs. Smedberg and Morton.

We're so cool we don't need no stinkin' name.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

25th anniversary screening of Manhunter, followed by a discussion with Michael Mann.

Yeah... I'm name dropping. B)

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Think we'll dive into the Red Riding trilogy tonight and see if the first film justifies watching the other two.

I started watching 35 Shots of Rum early this morning and will try to watch the rest of it this weekend, but that involves me carving out time in front of the TV without the presence of others in the house who aren't interested in the film (that would be everyone else).

I also have Tokyo Sonata and Animal Kingdom, but don't think I'll be watching either over the weekend.

Edited by Christian

If we get out to a movie, I'll try to convince my wife that Potiche will be right for her current state (chemo week is going relatively well.) Or maybe Rango. The Certified Copy hasn't spread from LA yet. Monday while I give platelets I'll watch Days of Heaven from the Library.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Think we'll dive into the Red Riding trilogy tonight and see if the first film justifies watching the other two.

It does.

If we get out to a movie, I'll try to convince my wife that Potiche will be right for her current state (chemo week is going relatively well.) Or maybe Rango. The Certified Copy hasn't spread from LA yet. Monday while I give platelets I'll watch Days of Heaven from the Library.

Good to hear things are relatively well this week. I might join you for Days of Heaven. The library has the Criterion copy so if I don't pick it up this weekend I'll look for it on Tuesday when I'm there with the kids.

This weekend's DVDs are A Screaming Man, The Colors of the Mountain, Temple Grandin and Get Low.

Oh, and -- I spent the afternoon Skyping with Thom, and he's watching Southpaw.

Edited by Persona

I need to participate in the weekend viewing a bit more.

I am going to try and watch a couple docs - Joan Rivers..., Southpaw

Fiction: Get Low

and then try and squeeze in a Cassavetes'

Sometimes I am simply excited by my insomnia.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

I'll be finishing Get Low this weekend. (Someone fell asleep, not me! and we're finally going to finish it and send it back to Netflix.)

I've also got Tamara Drewe and Shine a Light. I recently watched Gimme Shelter, I guess I'm just looking to see how the two compare. Gimme Shelter was pretty incredible.

Mostly over the next two months I'll be looking to catch up with films I've not seen from the Top 100. I guess I'll just start with whatever I can find that's available on Instant Viewing and get more organized from there.

Edited by Persona

I am going to spend the weekend secretly Skyping Persona watching Get Low, Tamara Drew, and Shine a Light.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter