What I'm Watching This Weekend

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please Give with Sarah, and maybe Tokyo Sonata, although I'm having trouble getting motivated enough to pop it in and watch the latter.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Thanks, Darren. That's encouraging. Also: I've watched most of that Denis Q&A supplement on the 35 Shots DVD, and plan to finish it today.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I am going to spend the weekend secretly Skyping Persona watching Get Low, Tamara Drew, and Shine a Light.

I put a piece of tape over my laptop's webcam so good luck with that.

A couple of Top 100's: Stroszek and Paprika

Ah, perhaps I have finally found a friend to beat up on Paprika with me. That film is gruelling.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I am going to spend the weekend secretly Skyping Persona watching Get Low, Tamara Drew, and Shine a Light.

I put a piece of tape over my laptop's webcam so good luck with that.

A couple of Top 100's: Stroszek and Paprika

Ah, perhaps I have finally found a friend to beat up on Paprika with me. That film is gruelling.

I'm partly with you. I wouldn't call it gruelling, but it's my least favorite Kon film, immensely preferring Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers. Some terrific visuals (though he seemed to recycle quite a bit of imagery during the course of the film, such that it felt less inventive than, say, a Miyazaki or Takahata work), but I felt that all the techno-psycho-talk was more sound and fury than substance.

On the other hand, I can appreciate all of the hullaballoo over Stroszek - even if I felt more engaged by some of Herzog's other work, that's some mind-blowing moviemaking! I love that guy - every film of his that I've seen has at least one scene that's indelibly imprinted on my memory circuits.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I watched THE SADDEST MUSIC IN THE WORLD (2003). Interesting style (like David Lynch meets Ed Wood meets Robert Wiene), but it's extremely empty, trying to run on not-quite-so-compelling whimsy. At a certain point, it gets pretty boring.

I just watched MY WINNIPEG on Wed night, and it's a lot of things, but it's certainly not boring. I've got DRACULA: PAGES FROM A VIRGIN'S DIARY sitting here, and I'm looking forward to it.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I probably shouldn't comment on any anime, because I've seen so little of it and because I've been completely out of synch with all of it that I have seen, but Paprika is the one title in the Top 100 that I. just. don't get. I saw it at the San Francisco IFF a few years ago and began looking for an escape route 30 minutes in.

A few years ago, Leary, myself, and a former A&F member caught about six or seven of those Maddins. Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary is still my favorite.

Sometime this month or next I'm going to lay Paprika to waste at Filmsweep.

Sometime this month or next I'm going to lay Paprika to waste at Filmsweep.

I haven't seen PAPRIKA yet, but if your take-down of the film involves another discussion about the fact that it is animated, it will prompt a serious disagreement that is a long time coming. ;)

Your past arguments about animation are so misguided that I'm not sure where we should begin. But it might be time to deconstruct your privileging of cinema (in the classical sense) over animation. It's possible to argue that in the age of digital cinema the "live-action" film is only one sub-category of animation, and not vice versa.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

You should probably see Paprika before ruling out my opinion on it. If you hate it, we can hate it together. If you love it, well, we've always known you were a little bit goofy.

PS I cried for Toy Story 3.

And did you not see my Top 10 2010 #3 position?

You should probably see Paprika before ruling out my opinion on it. If you hate it, we can hate it together. If you love it, well, we've always known you were a little bit goofy.

PS I cried for Toy Story 3.

And did you not see my Top 10 2010 #3 position?

For sure. I do need to see it.

I'm just recalling previous discussions about animation. One thing I've always appreciated about you is how you hold such (vicerally) strong opinions lightly, and are willing to change your mind.

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

I link this again here just for you, loverboy.

The reason I've hated most animation is simple: most of it stinks. That is a position I definitely still hold to. I've made a few exceptions. This weekend even tried to get the kids involved and do a double feature for comparison: Despicable Me vs. Megamind. I'd only seen the former, the kids have seen both several times. Megamind is a seriously awful film that I didn't make it through and won't even bother putting the effort in my film journal. It doesn't appear to have a target demographic, and if it does it certainly doesn't understand it. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I say that to say this: Paprika is worse than Megamind.

Think we'll dive into the Red Riding trilogy tonight and see if the first film justifies watching the other two.

It does.

I might agree if I'd managed to stay awake through the whole thing. I did revive in time for the finale, but I can't say I felt much of anything. Maybe if I'd been more alert the payoff would've been better.

Fwiw, I liked Tokyo Sonata a lot more than I expected to. The publicity photo of the kid playing a piano makes a lot more sense in hindsight (it's the most important scene), but it doesn't do a very good job of selling the overall style or themes of the film.

Fell asleep on this one, too, but unlike 1983, I was interested enough to try watching it again this morning during my morning treadmill run. Thought I'd missed only a small chunk while dozing, but it turns out I missed a lot of the movie. Wasn't sure what to make of some of the plot turns in the second half of the film, but I was full of endorphins and was in a forgiving mood.

I link this again here just for you, loverboy.

The reason I've hated most animation is simple: most of it stinks. That is a position I definitely still hold to. I've made a few exceptions. This weekend even tried to get the kids involved and do a double feature for comparison: Despicable Me vs. Megamind. I'd only seen the former, the kids have seen both several times. Megamind is a seriously awful film that I didn't make it through and won't even bother putting the effort in my film journal. It doesn't appear to have a target demographic, and if it does it certainly doesn't understand it. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I say that to say this: Paprika is worse than Megamind.

I loved Megamind.

Edited by Christian

Speaking of anime...

I watched a lot of stuff this weekend, and I was able to finish most of it. I finished the series Darker than Black (we talked about it a little bit in the anime thread), and I absolutely loved it. Also watched the anime film The Place Promised In Our Early Days, which was a quiet and beautifully drawn piece. And I finally finished the original Fullmetal Alchemist with the capstone film Conquerors of Shamballa, which was somewhat frustrating way to end the series. Having Fritz Lang as a character was cool, but the story veered all over the place.

My wife and I also started watching the Dardenne's The Son, and only made it to the halfway point. I loved it, she didn't. I'll have to finish the rest on my own at some point.

If all goes Netflix well, I will be watching The Flowers of St. Francis this coming weekend.

And possibly Sunday People

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Well, it looks like Netflix decided to make my weekend viewing include Get Low instead of The Flowers of St. Francis and I was really looking forward to The Flowers...

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

Family move night this weekend will be The Miracle Maker: The Story of Jesus. It is nice to be going through the 2011 Top 100.

The Girl Who Played With Fire

At FilmFest: Tykwer's 3