What I'm Watching This Weekend

I am also watching the season premiere of 30 Rock. Right now, online.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same here, Andrew. Baching it at the moment, which really means: Dr. Who time.

Oh and CARDS and ORIOLES.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Buffy, Nathan. Buffy.

Besides catching up with season two of The Walking Dead, I'll be watching the Criterion BluRay of Carne's Les Visiteurs du Soir and probably rewatching the enjoyable PBS documentary Mariachi High. And, if they come in the mail today, review copies of the Hammer Horror The Face of Fu Manchu and the most-likely-awful Graystone Park.

Attack the Block is great.

I don't know what I'm watching yet. I did watch Storm of the Century miniseries last night and it was probably one of the best Stephen King tv adaptations I'd seen yet. Colm Feore totally channeling Anthony Hopkins for almost 4 hours. Creepy and well done, some crappy effects but what can you expect.

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story

Christian wrote:

: Gosh, I wonder how many A&F threads exceed 50 pages.

Just this and the Lost thread (62 pages as of this writing), I think.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Taliesin: I, too, rewatched John Carter this weekend, in 3D at a friend's house. Great projection, some great images, but the movie got worse for me the second time through. It seemed kinda pointless. It's still not as bad as some of the early buzz indicated, but I can't see recommending it to friends.

If it means anything, another friend who saw the film for the first time with us last night thought the movie was great.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I try not to pull title after title off the library shelf, but I can't help it, even though I know I'll watch only one, maybe two of these:

The Way Back

The Turin Horse (I'll watch with Jonathan Rosenbaum's commentary track turned on, and I'll check out the extras)

Miss Bala

The Raid: Redemption

The Future

Christian, watch Miss Bala and Raid: Redemption back to back, and then report in. But - I would be very interetested to hear comments from you and Russ on Miss Bala.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Christian, I also have a library copy of MISS BALA at home. Let's both watch it this weekend and discuss it next week.

Deal!

Christian, watch Miss Bala and Raid: Redemption back to back, and then report in. But - I would be very interetested to hear comments from you and Russ on Miss Bala.

I'll try to do this, too, although double features are a rarity for me.

Thanks, gentlemen, for helping me prioritize my list.

Finally getting to DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE tonight. Very excited!

Hoping to find some time to get to the theatre and see either LOOPER, SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS, or SINISTER.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE has been sitting on my shelf waiting for me, as well. Have never seen it. I feel like it's going to be my kinda film, though.

My options this weekend include two at the theater and two at home. At the theater: ARGO and SINISTER. At home: DAMSELS IN DISTRESS and KEYHOLE.

"What is inside is also outside." -Goethe via Merleau-Ponty, in conclusion to the latter's one extended rumination on film
Filmwell, Twitter, & Letterboxd

Really hoping to hit Sinister.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Sinister tonight. If all goes well then Antiviral tomorrow.

Time permitting (I had another car accident this weekend... again, not my fault), I'll watch The Loneliest Planet and either Paranorman or, possibly, a new film by Lee Isaac Chung that I have an opportunity to see.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.