What I'm Watching This Weekend

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure this has happened to many of us, but I wonder if to this extent.

I've noticed in the last couple of years I've been making a lot of purchases from various $5 bins at Wal-marts and other places, placing them on my DVD shelves, unopened, with the idea of "watching them in the next few days". Well, tonight I counted how many films that has added up to.....

20 unopened discs, totaling 41 films... (4 or 5 discs are multiple collections, such as an 8 film Jackie Chan collection).

I'm going to try and watch one film each weekend for the rest of the year, plus keep up with the discs that I continue to buy.

So this weekend I'm starting with The Avengers.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop

Jeff Who Lives at Home

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I've got Criterion's release of Kobayashi's THE HUMAN CONDITION. 574 min. so I better start into it soon.

Also, our local art house cinema is playing THE MASTER again Sun./Mon. Monday is a holiday here in Ontario, so I might check it out then.

That would be a second viewing of the film. Haven't revisited it since my Sept. viewing in 70mm. This would be digital projection.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I'm sure this has happened to many of us, but I wonder if to this extent.

I've noticed in the last couple of years I've been making a lot of purchases from various $5 bins at Wal-marts and other places, placing them on my DVD shelves, unopened, with the idea of "watching them in the next few days". Well, tonight I counted how many films that has added up to.....

20 unopened discs, totaling 41 films... (4 or 5 discs are multiple collections, such as an 8 film Jackie Chan collection).

I'm going to try and watch one film each weekend for the rest of the year, plus keep up with the discs that I continue to buy.

So this weekend I'm starting with The Avengers.

Found 3 more unopened discs this morning, for a total of 44 films. Started with The Avengers last night, and decided today that I would watch the rest in alphabetical order to break up some of the multiple disc collections (as much as I like him, I don't think I could watch 8 Jackie Chan films in a row).

Here's the list of films to watch...

American Gangster

The Avengers

The Aviator

Battle Royale

Buffalo Bill and the Indians

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Chisum

The Departed

Dragon Lord

Drive

Eastern Promises

A Fistful of Dollars

For a Few Dollars More

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Goodfellas

Green Lantern

Hanna

High Plains Drifter

Hombre

The Informant!

Intruders

Joe Kidd

The Maltese Falcon

Mean Streets

Mission Impossible III

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Operation Condor

Operation Condor 2

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

Project A

Project A - 2

Rango

Ride the High Country

Sherlock Holmes

Shutter Island

Speed Racer

Spider-man 2

The Stalking Moon

Supercop

Supercop2

Twin Dragons

Two Mules for Sister Sara

Watchmen

Zombieland

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

The Oscars

The second half of The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

Maybe Life in a Day or some of the Up series

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

The new restoration of Tristana is playing at the Nuart this weekend. I'm going to go see it.

Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Wings of Desire and Sullivan's Travels.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Monte Hellman is appearing at the Aero this Sunday. I'd really like to see him. Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Not sure what to think of Oldboy yet. The ending...sheesh, that really threw me.

Yeeeeah. It's a movie I greatly admire, even though I probably am hesitant to watch ever again.

EDIT: I should probably add what I'm watching! I took a break from, er, Breaking Bad season four, so I'm hoping to get that started.

With Justified on Amazon Prime, my wife and I will probably start season 3 tonight, and continue watching Darker Than Black (I've seen it and loved it; my wife is hooked after the first episode).

Edited by Jason Panella

Seven Psychopaths

Maybe the rest of Pruitt-Igoe Myth

Or some of World on a Wire, which I've now checked out a fourth (?) time but have yet to start.

World on a Wire is some trippy, awesome stuff.

Sold!

Since signing up with HULU PLUS a week or two ago, I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I've sat in front of the tv, clicking through the ridiculous options on the Criterion channel, and ended up watching nothing because I was overwhelmed by the options. (Someone needs to coin a term for that experience.) Speaking of World on a Wire, I'm considering going on a Fassbinder binge, because I've seen only two of the thirteen films on HULU.

Since signing up with HULU PLUS a week or two ago, I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I've sat in front of the tv, clicking through the ridiculous options on the Criterion channel, and ended up watching nothing because I was overwhelmed by the options. (Someone needs to coin a term for that experience.) Speaking of World on a Wire, I'm considering going on a Fassbinder binge, because I've seen only two of the thirteen films on HULU.

This is a problem for me, too. My advice? Go for the ones you can't get on disc: A Day in the Country, The Ghost Goes West, I Was a Teenage Zombie, The Immortal Story, Socrates, Stromboli, El Sur, Three Cases of Murder, etc.

Edited by Nathaniel

Twitter     Letterboxd

This is a problem for me, too. My advice? Go for the ones you can't get on disc

I'm not too worried about that distinction because I don't really buy (and seldom rent) DVDs these days. My problem with HULU overload is that I'm a better film watcher when I'm disciplined about it. My preference is to watch a lot of films by a particular director or from a particular time/place or genre. It makes me more attentive and helps my retention. So when I scroll through HULU, I'm, like, "Wow! I should watch every Fassbinder film and every Naruse film and every Allan King film and every Chabrol film and every Rossellini film and every Renoir film and, oh, f--- it, I'll just watch a couple more episodes of The League." :)