Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Links to the threads on The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), Dead Man's Chest (2006), At World's End (2007) and whatever parts five and six are called.

- - -

Russell Brand set to land £5m role as Jack Sparrow's brother in next Pirates Of The Caribbean

Russell Brand left Britain in disgrace, but less than a week after resigning from his BBC Radio 2 show his career appears to have recovered.

Brand is reportedly thrashing out a deal to appear in the fourth Pirates Of The Caribbean film - as Captain Jack Sparrow's younger brother Jonathan. The deal to appear in the children's film could be worth as much as £5million and would catapault the 33-year-old into the Hollywood A-list.

A source told The Sun: 'There couldn't be a role more perfectly suited. There's a lot of Jack Sparrow in his mannerisms and behaviour. Depp's accent isn't a million miles away from Russell's either.'

Daily Mail, November 4

- - -

Might be just a rumour at this point. But it's inspired casting, if true. (But, given that we saw Depp's "dad", i.e. the Keith Richards character, in the 3rd film, has there been anything in the established back-story that might contradict the idea that Depp had a younger brother?)

Elsewhere, Jerry Bruckheimer says they're targetting a release date of 2012.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, early on Orlando Bloom said he was not interested in appearing in a 4th movie. Last month, Kiera Knightley decided she wouldn't be involved. And now, series director Gore Verbinski has pulled out of the project, leaving Johnny Depp as the only big name associated with the franchise atill on board (forgive the pun).

Verbinski Abandons Pirates Ship

10 April 2009 5:10 AM, PDT

Pirates Of The Caribbean filmmaker Gore Verbinski has dealt the franchise a further blow - he's followed in the footsteps of Keira Knightley by pulling out of the forthcoming instalment in the blockbuster series.

Knightley announced last month she has turned down the chance to reprise her role as aristocrat-turned-swashbuckler Elizabeth Swann.

And now Verbinski - who directed the hugely successful first three films - has informed Disney and producer Jerry Bruckheimer that he won

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

If they give us more of Captain Barbosa, I will be satisfied. :) As for Keira, she was starting to get annoying in the third film anyway.

I think there is potential for a fun outing here, especially since a new creative team will be brought in. The thrid film was a bit stagnant, compared to the excellent first two, so maybe new blood will enliven things.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

Baal_T'shuvah wrote:

: Well, early on Orlando Bloom said he was not interested in appearing in a 4th movie. Last month, Kiera Knightley decided she wouldn't be involved.

It would have been virtually impossible to fit them into the movie in a way that made sense, anyway. The third film does end, after all, with Orlando Bloom destined to spend the rest of his life underwater (or something like that), coming to the surface for conjugal visits with Keira Knightley only once every ten years ... and when he makes his very first visit (ten years after the rest of the movie takes place), he discovers that he has a (presumably nine-year-old) son.

So, if they HAD tried to fit those characters into a fourth film, they would have had to set the movie over a decade after the original trilogy (not quite impossible, but...) and they would have had to take into account the fact that Orlando & Keira have a child now (not quite impossible, but...).

Actually, hmmm, what sort of track record is there for sequels in which characters from the original film suddenly have a ten-year-old child? The Mummy Returns didn't suffer too much from this conceit (possibly because the original Mummy wasn't exactly all that serious a movie to begin with), whereas the second Zorro movie took the series in an unforgivably cartoonish direction.

Anyway. Those actors aren't coming back, so it's all a moot point anyway.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Anyway. Those actors aren't coming back, so it's all a moot point anyway.

My theory is they would set it twenty years laters for a hot young Disney actor to take on the rolle of the eighteen/nineteen year old son. Or maybe that would just be the direct to video sequel. :)

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

• 3 months later...

SDCC Exclusive: Pirates 4 Starts Shooting Spring '10!

"We're going to shoot 'Pirates 4' in April and May of next year," Aviv told us during our interview. "We are going to release it hopefully in 2011 is the plan." He said that this time they would only be doing one movie this time that would "hopefully be the first of another trilogy."

ComingSoon.net, July 23

Colour me unimpressed. I thought Pirates 1 was the best of the lot, and after Pirates 2 left a bad taste in my mouth, only watched Pirates 3 because I needed resolution to the cliffhanger. Not interested in Pirates 4 at all. Good idea moving on from Orlando and Keira though.

MARSHALL STEERING DISNEY'S PIRATE SHIP?

Disney is on the verge of putting Rob Marshall in as director of a fourth installment of

• 1 month later...

Looks like Pirates 4 may have an official title - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - according to news out of the D23 Expo.

ComingSoon.net has suggested that the subtitle may be referring to a book by Tim Powers, which involves the pirate Blackbeard and a search for the Fountain of Youth.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Apparently Johnny Depp has lost some of his enthusiasm for this movie, now that Disney CEO Dick Cook has been let go from the company. Wasn't it just a week ago that Cook and Depp were promoting this movie-in-development at the Disney fan convention?

Now that the name Tim Powers has been openly connected to the film, I'm free to say that I hope the project goes forward, for his sake. I'm a degree of separation removed from Tim Powers by a close friend on my side and an acquaintance on his side, and it would be cool (and rewarding) for him to have a blockbuster Disney film based on a story of his.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Jim Hill says he was hearing rumours of Dick Cook's ouster back in June, but people at the time were saying that no one would fire Cook knowing that Johnny Depp wouldn't want to make another Pirates movie without him:

So one has to wonder about the timing of all this: A week after Depp stands on stage at the D23 EXPO and basically tells the world that he

Geoffrey Rush tells MTV Movies Blog that filming may start in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Author Tim Powers officially confirms that Disney optioned his book On Stranger Tides 3 years ago.

Powers was in a tricky spot -- he wanted to publicly celebrate a career windfall but the folks at Disney had made it clear that he was supposed to keep everything under wraps. He was more surprised than anyone that the title had been trumpeted at Disney's new promotional convention.

"I was still -- as far as I understood -- not free to talk about it," the author told me Monday. "Then about a week ago my agent wrote and said, 'You're now able to say that in fact Disney did option the book.' That happened a while ago, it'll be three years in April."

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

• 4 months later...

Penelope Cruz eyes 'Pirates of the Caribbean' sequel

Penelope Cruz is in negotiations to join Johnny Depp and sail the seven seas in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," the fourth installment of the movie series being directed by Rob Marshall.

Depp is reprising his popular role of Captain Jack Sparrow, and while plot details are buried deeper than Blackbeard's treasure, it is known the tale revolves around the Fountain of Youth.

Cruz's character details are also being kept secret, though she is to be Sparrow's foil and equal in many ways. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, February 10

- - -

FWIW, Cruz previously worked with director Rob Marshall on Nine, and with co-star Johnny Depp on Blow.

• 2 weeks later...

Baal_T'shuvah wrote:

: Ian McShane as Blackbeard? It's being negotiated. Al Swearengen on the high seas!

He'll always be Judas Iscariot, to me. (With a bit of Sejanus thrown in.)

• 4 weeks later...

Exclusive: Penelope Cruz To Play Johnny Depp's Love Interest In New 'Pirates'

'On Stranger Tides' executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer reveals that Cruz will be the daughter of Blackbeard, played by Ian McShane. . . .

Geoffrey Rush, who has played Barbossa in the three previous "Pirates" films, told MTV News in September that he expected to reprise his role in "On Stranger Tides," and Bruckheimer confirmed that will indeed be the case.

Filming is slated to begin in June. New actors are in the process of being cast for certain roles, with testing currently in the works. As for the plot, we know the story will pick up where it ended in 2007's "At World's End": with Sparrow's search for the Fountain of Youth. . . .

MTV Movie News, March 19

After stellar performances by Geoffrey Rush and Bill Nighy, I'd say Ian McShane as Captain Blackbeard has the potential to continue the franchise's tradition of some of the greatest bad guys of all time. With this news, this actually has the potential to be much better than the last two films.

Disney to prospective actresses and their casting agents: "Must have real breasts. Do not submit if you have implants."

The Times adds: "The film-makers warn that there will be a 'show and tell' day with costume designers where potential actresses will be expected to run — a venerable Hollywood test to detect false breasts, which move less freely than the real thing during action sequences."

The things some people do for a living.

• 4 weeks later...
Astrid Bergès-Frisbey will play "Syrena, a beautiful mermaid encountered by Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow."

Sam Claflin will "star in the key role of Philip, a youthful missionary".

• 3 weeks later...

The L.A. Times ran this story about the (cough) budget constraints that the new film is facing...

With the fourth installment of the swashbuckling tale poised to start shooting June 14, Bruckheimer and the filmmakers are scrambling to meet the more constrained budget that Disney is imposing. Although it's still large — north of $200 million — it is at least a third less than the last "Pirates" movie and includes far fewer shooting days and visual effects shots....

....In discussing the script for the fourth "Pirates" film, screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio were told that Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow character would spend more time on land than water because of the high cost of shooting on the high seas.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

• 1 month later...

Geoffrey Rush is back.

It's funny to think back almost a decade, to the marketing around the first film, and how it emphasized Johnny and Orlando and Keira. Now Orlando and Keira are gone from the franchise, and Orlando in particular barely seems to have a career these days, but the not-so-heavily-marketed Geoffrey Rush -- who everyone had assumed was dead by the end of the first movie -- is staying on.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, right. If it appears in Variety, it must be old news. So, ahem.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

• 1 month later...