RIAA to halt lawsuits, cozy up to ISPs instead

I know we've covered this before. But does this make sense? RIAA to halt lawsuits, cozy up to ISPs instead

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

I know we've covered this before. But does this make sense? RIAA to halt lawsuits, cozy up to ISPs instead

Sure it does. The problem the RIAA has had all along is that it's so costly to sue, and so difficult to prove offense if a case actually goes to court, that file sharers aren't the least bit scared by the infinitesimally small chance of getting sued. The ISPs on the other hand, have all the necessary info to really do damage to the sharers. They know exactly who's using the services in question, and not just an IP, but name, address, etc. And they have the potential to do damage to them much easier - ie. cut off or disrupt their service, or eventually charge them. If the RIAA can convince the ISPs that they're better off working with them instead of against them (with their customers?) they'll be able to do much more to actually disrupt file sharing than they've been able to do so far. And all it's likely to take to convince the ISPs is a big enough financial incentive.

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

Well...maybe you should read the first 30 comments or so.

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

Well...maybe you should read the first 30 comments or so.

Sorry BBB, not sure what you're referring to. I skimmed some of the comments, but didn't notice a cohesive thread other than "good luck." Will it work? I don't know. I generally believe in the ability of the masses to stay one step ahead of the authorities if they work hard enough at it. Can it work? It can certainly work a lot better than the lawsuits have.

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."