Sony's 'Popeye' to pop eyes in 3D

Sony is bringing an all-CGI "Popeye" to the bigscreen, with the iconic sailor man's muscles set to pop in 3D.

Avi Arad, who teamed with Sony to turn Spider-Man into a powerhouse franchise, is producing. Scribe Mike Jones is in negotiations to adapt.

King Features Syndicate, which is owned by Hearst Entertainment and Syndication, controls the property and decided to bring it to Arad, who worked for years with Hearst president and former Marvel topper Scott Sassa. Popeye hasn't been seen on the bigscreen since 1980 when Robin Williams starred in a live-action version helmed by Robert Altman. . . .

Project was a natural fit for Sony, which is bringing a similar project to the bigscreen with "Smurfs." . . .

Variety, March 22

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 year later...

Sony Pictures Animation Sets ‘Smurfs’ Scribes Jay Scherick & David Ronn To Script ‘Popeye’

BREAKING: Sony Pictures Animation has turned to its The Smurfs scribes, Jay Scherick & David Ronn to script Popeye, the animated adaptation of the comic book. . . .

The scribes are already working on a Smurfs sequel, and they also wrote the original script for Baywatch. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, November 3

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 7 months later...

Helmer moves Sony's 3D 'Popeye' forward

"Hotel Transylvania" helmer Genndy Tartakovsky is attached to develop and direct "Popeye," Sony Pictures Animation's 3D take on the familiar sailor man. . . .

Popeye, the spinach-loving seaman who first appeared in the "Thimble Theater" comicstrip in 1929, spawned numerous spin-offs, including one of the longest-running series of animated shorts and Robert Altman's 1980 film starring Robin Williams. . . .

Tartakovsky is currently attached to direct a feature version of Cartoon Network's "Samurai Jack," which he also created.

Sony's toon arm has found success with "The Smurfs" and "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," which grossed $559 million and $243 million worldwide, respectively. Both pics currently have sequels in the works. . . .

Variety, June 25

• 3 months later...
popeye_sony480.jpg

• 1 year later...

popeye-sony.jpg

• 2 months later...

• 5 months later...

This film is no longer in development, at least not the Tartakovsky version.

Sad me!

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."