Abigail Harm (formerly "Foolish Things")

Overstreet

Might as well save this space for Lee Isaac Chung's third feature: Foolish Things. He talks about it here:

In September or October, I will begin production on a new feature called “Foolish Things” starring Amanda Plummer. The film is about a woman who, in experiencing a mid-life crisis, begins to stalk a younger woman in the city who she believes to be a younger reincarnation or phantom of herself. I am also in development of a film called “South Wind,” which will be a kind of an ode to the ‘lovers on the run’ genre.

This guy is unpredictable.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Fantastic. I am a fan of these kinds of existential chase or doppelganger stories like William Wilson and Death in Venice. The last film I saw in this vein, In The City of Sylvia, still lingers.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Amanda Plummer! I can't remember seeing her in anything since The Fisher King and Pulp Fiction. Her IMDB page shows she's been busy, though. Apparently she was in an episode of Battlestar Galatcia, too.

Hmmm. I must have seen that Galactica episode, since I saw all of them, but I don't remember her character. The next-most recent thing on her resume that I've seen is My Life without Me (2003), which was one of a number of death-and-terminal-illness movies that played at the VIFF that year (along with The Barbarian Invasions, Dying at Grace, The Event and possibly others).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 year later...

Hmmm. Has Foolish Things found a new title in Abigail Harm?

Or did the Foolish Things project go away, and now Abigail Harm has taken its place?

And what's up with the South Wind project?

Variety has a brief mention of Abigail Harm. And Chung's made a few notes about it on Facebook lately too. Here's the official site.

But the summary doesn't sound much like the aforementioned description of Foolish Things.

Summary:

The new film by award-winning director Lee Isaac Chung, Abigail Harm stars legendary actress Amanda Plummer in the title role as a woman who, after being granted a wish by a heavenly visitor, asks for love and learns of an angel who might provide it. Inspired by the Korean folktale “The Woodcutter and the Nymph,” Abigail Harm is a poetic story about the mystery of love, memory, and the human longing for transcendence, set against the backdrop of a changing, industrialized New York.
Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 7 months later...

Lee Isaac Chung on his Facebook page:

My new film ABIGAIL HARM will premiere at the Busan International Film Festival, October 4-13, 2012. Valerie and I will be at the screening. Amanda Plummer, Tetsuo Kuramochi, Eugene Suen, Steve Chen, and Doug Seok will also be with us. Hope to see some of you there.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...