JC

Overstreet

Comedy Central is developing JC, described as:

Half-hour animated show about JC (Jesus Christ) wanting to escape his father's enormous shadow and to live life in NYC as a regular guy. Executive produced by Reveille, Henrik Basin, Brian Boyle, Jonathan Sjoberg and Andreas Ohman.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Comedy Central is developing JC, described as:

Half-hour animated show about JC (Jesus Christ) wanting to escape his father's enormous shadow and to live life in NYC as a regular guy. Executive produced by Reveille, Henrik Basin, Brian Boyle, Jonathan Sjoberg and Andreas Ohman.

Not seeing the comedy, somehow....

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Sounds like this is one Judas character away from I Love You, Man.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I gotta say, I'm really proud of the fact that no one's getting any death threats over this.

Though the Muslims do consider Jesus one of their prophets, too, so who knows...

And I'm not being facetious here. Well, not entirely. In one of the very first N.T. Wright lectures I ever attended, back in '94 or thereabouts, Wright talked about how a British puppet show (Spitting Image, I think?) had ignored Christian protests when it added Jesus to its roster of characters, but then Muslims began protesting and the puppet show backed down. Some people in the audience tittered over that, but in hindsight, I don't think it's funny at all. The co-opting of our messiah is a real, real problem, and the cowering before Islamic fundamentalism in Britain is a real, real problem, and Comedy Central's cowardly response to the death threats over South Park's recent Mohammed episode -- death threats that some have speculated may be related to the attempted bombing in Times Square last weekend -- is a real, real problem too.

So, I'm dead serious when I say I'm glad Comedy Central feels "safe" about producing this cartoon. I just wish they had the balls to back their animators in other areas, too.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I gotta say, I'm really proud of the fact that no one's getting any death threats over this.

Well, it was just announced. Honestly, I will be surprised if there are no threats. Almost anything perceived as mocking Christianity has that I can recall. Kevin Smith for Dogma, Scorcese for Last Temptation, The Weinsteins for various films going back to Priest.

I think they get taken less seriously because it so rarely goes beyond the threat and it is not a global call that is being made...it's some lone nut.

Edited by Nezpop

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Nezpop wrote:

: Honestly, I will be surprised if there are no threats.

Perhaps I should qualify that by saying "no threats that anyone takes seriously", or "no threats that anyone takes so seriously they will feel obliged to cancel the show", etc.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

: Honestly, I will be surprised if there are no threats.

Perhaps I should qualify that by saying "no threats that anyone takes seriously", or "no threats that anyone takes so seriously they will feel obliged to cancel the show", etc.

Considering how carefully Comedy Central has censored images of Muhammad even as a guest star on South Park, never mind the star of his own show, I think your point's pretty clear.

It may be true, as Comedy Central apologist head of original programming Kent Alterman has said, that "comedy in purist form always makes some people uncomfortable." But there's uncomfortable and uncomfortable, and evidently funny Muhammad is even purer comedically than funny Jesus, judging by how much more uncomfortable the folks at Comedy Central are with the former than the latter.

Or maybe they're just thinking of how comfortable or uncomfortable they would be with the likely protests and even threats from Christians versus how uncomfortable Muslim critics might make them.

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

• 4 weeks later...

Movieguide's got a petition going. And their spell- and grammar-checkers are as on-the-ball as ever:

Tell Hollywood You've Had Enough!

They've Come Up with a New Attack on Jesus.

Together with your help we've been able to make a tremendous difference! From LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, BRUNO, and last year's ANTICHRIST, we have stopped movies which blaspheme Jesus.

"From..." Shouldn't there be a "to..." in there somewhere? (And "stopped"? Really? I dunno, somehow *I* was able to see all three of those films in the theatre.)

And now is the time to act again!

The network that brought you SOUTH PARK is at it again.

They plan on creating an abhorrent and immoral comedy cartoon called JC, which mocks and blasphemes Jesus.

This is our chance to say NO.

Television networks cancel or renew shows all the time based on public outcry. And what we know from experince is, with enough letters, the networks will listen and take action, as they did with THE REAGANS, which bashed Reagan.

But we must act now to stop this.

YES! Sign me up for the petition!

Include my name on this petition

* Required

Full Name *

eMail *

(Optional) Stay informed

* Send be your FREE weekly MOVIEGUIDE e-newsletters.

"Send be"? Is that like "Glory be"?

The funny thing is... we note no-one takes Christian threats seriously... at the same time, much Christian outrage is seen as humorous because... well it often is. And yet there is little to no changing of tactics.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby