New Wonder Woman TV Series

CrimsonLine

From Deadline:

This has to be the highest-profile effort to bring Wonder Woman to television: One of TV's best-known creators, The Practice's David E. Kelley, has come on board to write and produce a new series project about the female superhero. The project, from Warner Bros Television where Kelley is based, and Warner Bros' DC Entertainment, will be taken out to the networks shortly. Kelley, who has created several female centered shows like Ally McBeal, has wanted to tackle a contemporary take on the World War II-era Amazon. He recently met with the DC team who also have been looking for ways to launch a new Wonder Woman TV franchise.

I am ambivalent about this news. I've been psyched about the idea of a Wonder Woman movie (Here's the A&F thread on that topic) and I could get used to the idea of a TV series, but Kelley's offerings have been very sarcastic, neurotic, and parodic, not the sort of tone I'd look for in a Wonder Woman project. Some comicbook heroes lend themselves to being deconstructions of the hero genre. Here I'm thinking of Batman, which has the cynicism built-in to the character, or Watchmen, which is intended as a deconstruction. But other heroes, like Superman, Wonder Woman, and Captain America, are the sort of straight-arrow characters that are destroyed when done with that kind of approach.

I guess time will tell...

Edited by CrimsonLine
In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• 3 months later...

...time has told. The David E. Kelley series is not going forward right now.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• 2 weeks later...

NBC Picks Up David E. Kelley's 'Wonder Woman', Michael Patrick King's Drama

Wonder Woman will fly this pilot season after all. New NBC entertainment president Bob Greenblatt capped a day of high-profile pilot pickups with a surprise order to David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman reboot. . . .

The project is described as a reinvention of the iconic D.C. comic in which Wonder Woman -- aka Diana Prince -- is a vigilante crime fighter in L.A. but also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life. . . .

Deadline.com, January 21

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I wonder how much of the series will be the "successful corporate executive" part, and how much will be the "crime fighter" part? And how much of her background and origin will be retained? Is she just a corporate exec who decides to go out and fight crime? Or is she an Amazonian princess in Man's World sent to teach us the ways of peace? We shall see...

Interesting tidbit in EW's story on the pickup of this show:

Kelley’s take incorporated the superhero’s signature lasso, cuffs, and plane in the script, and insiders said it was a serious, non-campy take on the DC Comics character.

Okay, this has me concerned...

Will McG direct the Wonder Woman pilot?

Okay, this has me concerned...

Will McG direct the Wonder Woman pilot?

In his defense, he directed the pilot of the TV show Chuck, and I think that worked out fine.

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?

10 Questions about the Wonder Woman TV series answered.

Sounds like they are keeping Wonder Woman's mythical backstory more or less intact, and just tailoring her Man's World persona to fit a David E. Kelley mode. That's better than I expected, actually.

Bleeding Cool has taken a look at the script, too.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Entertainment Weekly gives us a first look at the costume. I'm not all that impressed. I think the idea is there, but the latex is too hooker-y. :)

• 1 month later...
Looks like the Pilot may not get picked up by NBC after all...