Top 100 2011: Results and Discussion

Anna J

Hi all,

I crunched the numbers some more (I guess I'm this year's Prins), including who nominated/seconded and each movie's percentile. The resulting spreadsheet is available here:

http://cid-7f9e91125...l%20Results.xls

You can download into Excel and sort/filter to your heart's content.

Maybe this will be helpful to those who are writing about the list and could use some facts/trivia. :)

PS If you download the file and view in Excel, the top row will scroll with you--makes it much easier to read IMO

PPS The percentile change column does not always add up due to rounding

PPPS The Vote change % column is as a % of 2010, not 2011 (in general, the values of this column would have been slightly lower as the latter)

Edited by David Smedberg

That's just how eye roll.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aaawwww. We're feelin' the love.

OK, I surrender my hijacking of the thread to other topics...

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Sad, but not surprised, to see Killer of Sheep go; sad and sort of surprised to see Breaking the Waves go. However, this sadness is more than cancelled out by seeing all the new additions: especially Koyaanisqatsi (#1 or #2 all time), Iron Giant, Ratcatcher, 2001 (top 5), Paprika, and There Will Be Blood. I think, as everyone has said, that the list is both better and more accessible than last year's list.

I love this new list, but I noticed there are only 3 comedies on it - maybe our next Top 20 could remedy this by being a list of comedies?

I retroactively second the motion.

I love this idea.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Wasn't Lars and the Real Girl nominated? Total shame it doesn't make this list. It is easily ranked right next to a film like Tender Mercies. Too bad.

Depending how you count, I've seen 75 of these films -- 60 that I could talk about without feeling bad I'd need to see again -- and I see many on the list I'd sacrifice for Lars and the Real Girl, my recent viewing of Amadeus being one of them.

I don't know. This list is more accessible. It doesn't make it more fun. Ordet drops to #3 with no explanation, none. Make Way For Tomorrow, nice as it is, cracks immediately into the top ten. Ikiru moves into the top ten as well. I see those last two as disrupters to the top ten. Lars and the Real Girl doesn't make the list. Are we honestly trying to say that Death of Mr. Lazarescu is more Arts and Faith inclined than Lars and the Real Girl?

Edited by Persona

And honestly I wish Silent Light would just go away. It wants to be Ordet; it is not. Not to mention the fact that Battle in Heaven is a Reygadas' that is superior in every way to Silent Light.

And honestly I wish Silent Light would just go away. It wants to be Ordet; it is not. Not to mention the fact that Battle in Heaven is a Reygadas' that is superior in every way to Silent Light.

I don't think the Ordet/Silent Light comparison is all that helpful. Silent Light is rife with biblical allusions that generate its conclusion, which makes it a film that wears its rich references on its sleeve. Nothing wrong with that.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Second.

I don't think the Ordet/Silent Light comparison is all that helpful. Silent Light is rife with biblical allusions that generate its conclusion, which makes it a film that wears its rich references on its sleeve. Nothing wrong with that.

I have to say I'm with Stef and Darren on Silent Light (haven't seen Battle in Heaven). Silent Light did nothing for me, certainly not in the climax.

The comparison to Ordet is at least relevant insofar as Ordet reaches genuine transcendence in the end, and Silent Light doesn't. It has some nice bits before that, if you can stand such unsympathetic characters, but the ending, to my mind, is a mess.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Netflix thinks I'd rate Battle in Heaven a 1.5. Is my most trusted friend lying to me? (I liked Silent Light, though the opening shot was easily my favorite part of the movie.)

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

The comparison to Ordet is at least relevant insofar as Ordet reaches genuine transcendence in the end, and Silent Light doesn't. It has some nice bits before that, if you can stand such unsympathetic characters, but the ending, to my mind, is a mess.

I don't think you would be the biggest fan of Battle in Heaven. So how does Silent Light keep ending up on the list?

Also, it is fascinating to watch The Mirror slowly creeping toward the top ten.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I don't know. This list is more accessible. It doesn't make it more fun.
Personally, I think what matters is that the list is simply better as a top 100 films list than last year's list. What bothered me tremendously about the last list was not that it was inaccessible, but that (I think) it send some very strong but unintended messages to those like me who read it but did not participate in it. Specifically, I felt that the last list communicated that no populist movies -- with the exception of It's a Wonderful Life -- are as good as any of the art films or foreign films that made the list. And no true genre films (action, horror, sci-fi) made that list with the exception of Solaris, which isn't as good a film as either Blade Runner or 2001: A Space: Odyssey. That example alone lept out at me immediately -- that Solaris made the list and the others didn't because Solaris is a Tarkovsky film. In other words, I think this list is better because it appears to rightfully draw more freely from some of the best of popular and genre films. Edited by Scott Derrickson

In eternity this world will be Troy, I believe, and all that has passed here will be the epic of the universe, the ballad they sing in the streets. -- Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson

Also, it is fascinating to watch The Mirror slowly creeping toward the top ten.

That example alone lept out at me immediately -- that Solaris made the list and the others didn't because Solaris is a Tarkovsky film. In other words, I think this list is better because it appears to rightfully draw more freely from some of the best of popular and genre films.

That said, I finally saw THE MIRROR (ZERKALO) last night, and I'm convinced it deserves a place high on any list of Art & Faith films.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I can't believe I just erased this whole post. Ugh, Never mind. I give up for now.

Edited by Persona

I don't know. This list is more accessible. It doesn't make it more fun. Ordet drops to #3 with no explanation, none. Make Way For Tomorrow, nice as it is, cracks immediately into the top ten. Ikiru moves into the top ten as well. I see those last two as disrupters to the top ten. Lars and the Real Girl doesn't make the list. Are we honestly trying to say that Death of Mr. Lazarescu is more Arts and Faith inclined than Lars and the Real Girl?

"We" are not trying to "say" anything at all. I don't mean that snarkily. I mean that a ranked voting mechanism like this doesn't give you incentives to reveal TRUE preferences, but to strategically vote. That is, people don't necessarily vote as if their ballot ALONE was going to determine the final ranking, but rather calculate their vote based on how everyone ELSE is going to vote. For instance:

The system I allowed myself this year was to only give about twenty 5s. The one I wish I would've been harder against is Ikiru where I voted my three star heart and kinda wish I'd just given it a one to get it out of the top ten. I am way. too. nice.

Or did I give it a two? Might've done that, can't remember. I think I gave it a two, which is how I scored it at Netflix.

Point is, these things are somehow weighted, I know I carry at least a little weight, and I pretty much hated that film. Should've been harder on it.

Voting strategically like this can lead to weird results, particularly if 1. a lot of people are doing it, and 2. people mispredict other people's votes. I'm not saying that people should or shouldn't vote strategically, I'm just pointing out that the voting mechanism is imperfect and imprecise.

Edited by old wave

I feel like "we" are because I feel a bond with many people here; I've known this community longer than I know anyone I talk to physically on a daily basis, unless my mom and dad call.

I've known this community longer than I've known my 8 and 5-1/2 yr old kids, but not as long as I've known my wife (17 or more yrs now).

I feel like "we" are because I feel a bond with many people here; I've known this community longer than I know anyone I talk to physically on a daily basis, unless my mom and dad call.

I've known this community longer than I've known my 8 and 5-1/2 yr old kids, but not as long as I've known my wife (17 or more yrs now).

I'm honestly glad you feel that way, but that wasn't exactly my point...

Well, it was. In your view a vote is who (and how) you are voting against, in my view, it's who (and how) I'm voting with. The results are the voice of a community. It is a "we" thing to me, that's all.