Top 100 2011: Results and Discussion

For Ikiru, why don't we use its common title, the one the blue collar guy uses: "The Bored, The Dead, and The Japanese Drunks Reminiscing"?

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Anna! Say, do you want notes on any glitches we notice in the list? For example, the year for Dogville was incorrect on the spreadsheet.

I'm also wondering about the choice of how to name certain films. For example, while it's true that "Ikiru" translates "To Live," nobody anywhere in the world calls it that. No DVD cover anywhere says "To Live." Even the IMDb, which favours American titles over original titles, lists "Ikiru." On last year's list it was called "Ikiru." And maybe that's the plan for this year as well, but the list calls it "To Live," with "Ikiru" in brackets. Just checking.

There are a couple other such title questions. Shall I bring them up?

YES, PLEASE! I've even created a thread for it here.

I forgot to mention one complaint about this year's list--the same as my complaint about last year's list, which regrettably I didn't address during the nominations phase.

A lack of African-American films (unless I'm not familiar with one that is on the list). Just Munyurangabo (2007) at 31, and which concerns Rwanda, and not anything related to the African-American experience.

Tsotsi's not in this list, right?

This is something I think we seriously have to remedy. Or at least have some intentionality behind it--it feels accidental.

Just Munyurangabo (2007) at 31, and which concerns Rwanda, and not anything related to the African-American experience.

Well, what films could fill that void? ROOTS? GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER? BELOVED? PRECIOUS? I'm having a very hard time thinking of films that deal strongly with the African American experience and are a good fit for our list.

Edited by Ryan H.

Not that just one film would suffice, but it's been mentioned that our previous list included Killer of Sheep.

I've nominated Burnett's My Brother's Wedding a couple of times, but it's never been seconded.

And I once nominated Say Amen, Somebody, which is wonderful. I think it got seconded but didn't make the final cut.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Just Munyurangabo (2007) at 31, and which concerns Rwanda, and not anything related to the African-American experience.

Well, what films could fill that void? ROOTS? GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER? BELOVED? PRECIOUS? I'm having a very hard time thinking of films that deal strongly with the African American experience and are a good fit for our list.

Yeah, that was my problem too. It's probably more a fault of mine for not seeing enough films by African Americans, but I really can't think of anything except Do the Right Thing and Killer of Sheep that might qualify.

I've never seen this, for instance.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Leave for two whole seconds and the thread turns into mass "DUH."

The film you are looking for is Chocolat.

Link.

Wow, that's why the answers look so strange. But BJ said "African-Ameican" and then said Tsotsi and Munyurangabo. I saw those two films and assumed he really meant "African."

Unfortunately there's a dearth of films that deal with the experience of Africans or African-Americans in the list. Maybe that's because there's a lack of material--understandable given the difficulty of creating films dealing with the black community, but maybe that's a cop out (in terms of my own understanding of it).

Here's a Top 100 African American film list that somebody put out. I don't think many of these fit the A&F list, but its a shame that few were even nominated. My fault. Good intentions, you know.

Stuff that may have had a good shot, that I've seen:

A Soldier's Story

In the Heat of the Night

The Defiant Ones (only a partial viewing FWIW)

Brian's Song

Glory

None of these feel quite right--only A Soldier's Story wholly concerns the African American experience, whereas the rest deal with racial tension.

Yeah, I tried to add a qualifier to the Rwanda film. I think I had a sentence I cut about even dealing with the African experience. But you're right, there's not a lot there for both.

There are several that could fit the list (most have been noted). The problem is that not one of them was nominated. If nominated they might have garnered the proper support. Keep it in mind for next time around in a few years.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Not that just one film would suffice, but it's been mentioned that our previous list included Killer of Sheep.

I've nominated Burnett's My Brother's Wedding a couple of times, but it's never been seconded.

And I once nominated Say Amen, Somebody, which is wonderful. I think it got seconded but didn't make the final cut.

I thought I seconded Wedding. Losing Killer of Sheep was a big blow. I have tried to push Lee harder, but A&F hasn't talked about him too much. Do The Right Thing, Clockers, Ghost Dog, Blue Collar, Yeelen, In the Heat of the Night, Black Girl, Johnny Mad Dog, Zan Boko, that one film that uses Genesis as a template for Liberian civil war... There are still a lot of borders out there we can cross with his list.

And how about The Exiles or Chop Shop for different minority voices.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

As much as it deserves criticism for its representations, Hallelujah features some of the most intense and vivid depictions of charismatic worship/hysteria put to film. When you think of how young the sync sound film was at that point, and how quickly King Vidor masters it in conjunction with his images...well, it's pretty overwhelming on a large screen.

I don't know if it should make the list, but it merits discussion. I thought about nominating it this time but didn't, mainly because I feared the film's more ignorant qualities would dominate the discussion.

SDG wrote:

: Is there a final, absolutely correct list of all titles that were added in 2011 and all titles that were lost from 2010?

I don't think I have ever felt mdprins' absence from this board as keenly as I do now.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

SDG wrote:

: Is there a final, absolutely correct list of all titles that were added in 2011 and all titles that were lost from 2010?

I don't think I have ever felt mdprins' absence from this board as keenly as I do now.

All right, all right. Since PTC and SDG (on Facebook) are prodding me, assuming I find my old spreadsheet, I'll do the statistics for the 2011 list as well.

But then I'm leaving A&F. Forever. Or until I come back.

M. Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Is there a final, absolutely correct list of all titles that were added in 2011 and all titles that were lost from 2010?

Quick and dirty, extracted from my data:

I crunched the numbers some more (I guess I'm this year's Prins), including who nominated/seconded and each movie's percentile. The resulting spreadsheet is available here:

http://cid-7f9e91125...l%20Results.xls

You can download into Excel and sort/filter to your heart's content.

New in 2011:

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937) 6

Searchers , The (1956) 18

Miracle Maker , The (2000) 26

Paths of Glory (1957) 27

Grave of the Fireflies (1988) 28

Nights of Cabiria (1957) 34

Night of the Hunter , The (1955) 35

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) 36

Touch of Evil (1958) 39

Apocalypse Now (1979) 42

Code Unknown: Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys (2000) 43

Places in the Heart (1984) 52

Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005) 56

Ran (1985) 61

Double Life of Veronique , The (1991) 63

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) 70

Koyaanisqatsi (1982) 71

How Green Was My Valley (1941) 74

Paprika (2006) 80

Born Into Brothels (2004) 82

Vertigo (1958) 83

Spirited Away (2001) 86

Trial , The (1962) 87

Rules of the Game , The (1939) 88

Sullivan's Travels (1941) 89

Schindler's List (1993) 90

Dogville (1993) 91

There Will Be Blood (2007) 92

Amadeus (1984) 95

Fiddler on the Roof (1971) 96

Sophie Scholl: die letzten Tag (Sophie Scholl: the Final Days)(2005) 97

Ratcatcher (1999) 98

Iron Giant , The (1999) 99

Story of the Weeping Camel , The (2003) 100

Voted out in 2011:

Punch-Drunk Love (2002) --2011 Rank-- 101 --2010 Rank -- 85

Song of Bernadette (1943) --2011 Rank-- 103 --2010 Rank -- 100

Killer of Sheep (1977) --2011 Rank-- 105 --2010 Rank -- 48

Open City ("Roma, citta apera") (1945) --2011 Rank-- 107 --2010 Rank -- 80

Late Spring ("Banshun") (1972) --2011 Rank-- 115 --2010 Rank -- 47

M. Hulot's Holiday("Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot") (1953) --2011 Rank-- 116 --2010 Rank -- 97

Summer / The Green Ray ("Le Rayon vert") (1986) --2011 Rank-- 121 --2010 Rank -- 41

A Moment of Innocence ("Nun va Goldoon") (1997) --2011 Rank-- 122 --2010 Rank -- 62

Goodbye to the Children ("Au Revoir, Les Enfants") (1987) --2011 Rank-- 127 --2010 Rank -- 91

Wind Will Carry Us , The (Bad ma ra khaha bord) --2011 Rank-- 131 --2010 Rank -- 57

Breaking the Waves (1996) --2011 Rank-- 132 --2010 Rank -- 99

Beau Travail (1999) --2011 Rank-- 133 --2010 Rank -- 64

Ushpizin ("The Guests") (2004) --2011 Rank-- 136 --2010 Rank -- 89

Trial of Joan of Arc , The (Proces de Jeanne d'Arc) --2011 Rank-- 156 --2010 Rank -- 63

An Autumn Afternoon (“Sanma no aji”) (1962) --2011 Rank-- 162 --2010 Rank -- 71

Cyclist , The (Bicycleran) --2011 Rank-- 169 --2010 Rank -- 50

Frisbee: The Life and Death of a Hippie Preacher (2005) --2011 Rank-- 178 --2010 Rank -- 90

Son of Man (2006) --2011 Rank-- 182 --2010 Rank -- 92

In Praise of Love ("Éloge de l'amour") (2001) --2011 Rank-- 192 --2010 Rank -- 94

I think Anna's spreadsheet in the very first post includes the list of movies that were left out because of the "3 per director" rule. That's one of the weaknesses of my spreadsheet.

Edited by David Smedberg

That's just how eye roll.

But then I'm leaving A&F. Forever.

Don't let the door hit your handbells on the way out.

Or until I come back.

Oh. It's a revolving door! Well at least we can see how you are.

SDG what about David Smedberg'slist?

Oh, this has some super-hilarious potential. Prins spends hours working in Excel only to come back to the thread and find this. If he wasn't over the edge before... :)