American Idol

run

Surprised, definitely -- but I also feel good for Chris, who now may have a chance a real career, freed from some of the baggage that comes with the American Idol moniker. In fact, his career will likely be helped by the sure-to-be-repeated-so-often-it-will-make-you-sick description that "his departure was stunning, given how brilliant he was" (or something like that.

Go, Taylor - it's yours to lose.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "band" in question is Fuel. Their lead singer/songwriter left last year, and they were looking for someone to fill his shoes. Chris sang their song "Hemorrage (In My Hands)" during one of the first few rounds. They will have to wait a little while, because Chris still has to do the AI summer tour. There's also a clause that no one that was in the top 24 (I think.. it may be top 12) on AI can release an album before the winner has released one.

People thought he was going to win? I never thought he would. I figured he would make it (at least) to the final round, but lose to Taylor.

Edited by Clint M

I have to agree with Simon that Taylor is more cruise ship/bamitvah entertainer than a record selling pop star.

I do predict that he will sing "With A Little Help From My Friends" in one of the upcoming shows since people seem to think he is as good as Joe Cocker, but I still don't see it.

I have to agree with Simon that Taylor is more cruise ship/bamitvah entertainer than a record selling pop star.

I do predict that he will sing "With A Little Help From My Friends" in one of the upcoming shows since people seem to think he is as good as Joe Cocker, but I still don't see it.

How about "You Are So Beautiful" - he's scheduled to sing that this week...

No one watched this week? Here's the rundown:

The vote tally for this week was 33.68%, 33.24%, and 33.08% (or so) for each contestant, with the low vote going to Elliott. Boo.

So it's Katherine and Taylor in the final. (Or as the TV show "The Soup" put it - it's George Clooney and Linda Carter battling it out for the honor of the greatest superhero.)

George Clooney and Linda Carter?

More like Jay Leno and a brunette Izzie from Grey's Anatomy.

My vote goes to Katharine cause soul patrol dude is kinda creepy.

In order for Katharine to win she needs the black vote and the gay vote so I recommend that she sings Aretha and Abba. RESPECT and FERNANDO. Or heck choose a old Madonna song like Dress You Up or Holiday.

Edited by run

The finale will be full of over-produced, overheated renditions of popular songs. That

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

"....Another special finale will be a duet between MEATLOAF and Katharine....."

Ok, do has-been artists pay AI to be in AI?

Yep. There was a news story run a few weeks ago that many in the music business are paying to be on this show because it results in a week or two of high album sales. When Manilow was on a few weeks ago, his latest album shot up to the top twenty the very next week.

Katharine is "working on herself," according to this AP story:

McPhee fan Tess Kleinhammes was upset at Cowell's statement.

"I didn't think that was fair at all," said the 13-year-old, who had flashed a sparkly sign in support of McPhee. "I think Katharine is better than Taylor. She's one of my role models."

When told about Tess' support of her, McPhee said, "I love being a role model. It's still a man's world in society." Her advice: "Girls should keep working on themselves."

Which, she said, she's done herself.

"I've been through many therapy sessions ... It's an ongoing struggle to work on myself."

--God bless her and all, but it

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

:lol::lol:

Poor Stef. But he essentially called me an old fuddy-duddy yesterday in the "X-3" thread, so he needs to take his lumps.

I love you Christian, but... bad form.

Being pretty and talented is hardly the road to self-actualization. Just ask stef.

The hellzat mean?!? You sayin' I'm queer? That I can't quit you??? That I'm too durn pretty to attain self-actualization?? Hunh? HUNH?

-s.

PS And now Andy Whitman will bash me for participating on this thread.

And I can't say that I blame him. :P

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Just for the record, DialIdol's current results:

1. Taylor (Grey) Hicks - 45.583

2. Katherine McPhee - 37.097

I can see how Kat has had issues with trying to figure herself out. It shows through her singing. Heck, I'm in my mid-twenties now, and I feel like I'm finally starting to fully realize my singing potential.

But she needs to mature a bit more. She's not quite ready for the spotlight yet. Taylor appears to take it more into stride. Then again, he could go nuts when he is famous, so who knows?

Edited by Clint M

Detractors can say what they want about this show, but we're 15 minutes away from the end of the 2-hour finale, which even I -- a fan -- expected to be a dud. Instead, it's been delightful. Lots of surprise musical guest stars, and just now ... Prince.

I'm working on an assignment in our home office, but I can hear the TV. I keep going back to look at the screen, surprised by one musical number after the next. It's all good.

Edited by Christian

I have only been able to see American Idol clips on youtube, and I just watched the Meatloaf duet. Was it that bad on TV, or did it just not compress well?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I have only been able to see American Idol clips on youtube, and I just watched the Meatloaf duet. Was it that bad on TV, or did it just not compress well?

Thanks for mentioning this, as I had forgotten about this particular performance when I posted my favorable throughts about the finale. Meatloaf can't sing. Over, end of story. Not a note in tune. Miserable.

I heard on the radio this morning that he supposedly suffers from stage fright and has said that he remembers being backstage, and coming off the stage, but nothing in between.

I wish I, too, had blacked-out during his performance.

Edited by Christian

• 9 months later...

Ok, people, it's that time of year again. For those of you who think that Simon is the Devil, Ryan his Mephistophilis, and all the constestants poor little Dr. Faustus's singing their way into the fiery chasm of commercial mediocrity, you are welcome to change the channel. But for those who, like me, have sold their soul, I'm ready to get in the game.

What's the consensus so far? I really like Melinda. That version of 'My Funny Valentine' blew my socks off. I'm placing first bets on her, with Chris Sligh, maybe Blake Lewis, or perhaps Lakisha coming in not far behind.

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Melinda wins on voice, but may be vulnerable because she's not a young hottie. Runners up: Stephanie and Lakisha. Lakisha may exit a bit early because of image issues. That leaves Jordin in the top 3. Basically, this contest will come down to three or four black girls. That's just the way it is this year. Clearly. And I'm not the first to point it out.

The guys are terrible, but one or two will surely hang on for the top 6.

Melinda wins on voice, but may be vulnerable because she's not a young hottie. Runners up: Stephanie and Lakisha. Lakisha may exit a bit early because of image issues. That leaves Jordin in the top 3. Basically, this contest will come down to three or four black girls. That's just the way it is this year. Clearly. And I'm not the first to point it out.

The guys are terrible, but one or two will surely hang on for the top 6.

Every time I look at Stephanie, I think of Fantasia. As for Melinda not being young or hip enough, I say, TAYLOR HICKS. I need offer no more than that for explanation.

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Every time I look at Stephanie, I think of Fantasia.

So you think, "American Idol Winner"?

As for Melinda not being young or hip enough, I say, TAYLOR HICKS. I need offer no more than that for explanation.

But I think Taylor already is perceived as an underachiever. Unfortunately, that declaration was made quickly -- even before his CD was released. It's not fair, and there's still time to turn things around, but like a movie that has a disappointing box-office take in its opening weekend, Hicks could vanish from the scene rather quickly.

And I mention that because I think Simon never really cared for Taylor and will do his darndest to prevent another "Taylor" from winning this year. The public will vote for they like best, but Simon's influence shouldn't be discounted.

The Washington Post's TV writer blogs:

Chris [sligh] sings dc Talk's "We All Want to Be Loved." It was by far the night's strongest performance but the judges aren't kind, though Randy says it was the night's best vocal, which is damning with faint praise.

--So is Chris a believer? I don't know too many people who enjoy DC Talk who aren't believers.

I should know that song, but don't.