Despicable Me 2

Peter T Chattaway

Link to our thread on Despicable Me (2010).

- - -

Javier Bardem in Negotiations to Voice Villain in 'Despicable Me 2' (Exclusive)

Javier Bardem is in negotiations to voice a new villain in Despicable Me 2, the sequel to Universal and Illumination’s surprise 2010 hit.

The first movie followed a villainous mastermind, voiced by Steve Carell, who connects with his paternal side when the trio of orphans he hires for an evil scheme melt his icy heart.

Carell and most of the other players from the first movie are expected to return but the new plot, being kept under wraps, calls for a new villain, who has a son of his own.

Bardem would voice the baddie, whose name is El Macho. (His son’s name is Machito.) . . .

Hollywood Reporter, October 5

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 months later...

Al Pacino Makes Animated Film Debut In ‘Despicable Me 2′

EXCLUSIVE: While Al Pacino has played his share of iconic live-action villains — from Michael Corleone to Tony Montana — he will make his animated film debut as the voice of the villain in Despicable Me 2, the Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment sequel to the 2010 hit film that launched Chris Meledandri’s family film shingle and grossed $543 million on a $69 million budget.

Pacino’s exact role is being kept under wraps, but he’s the nemesis of Gru, who’ll once again be voiced by Steve Carell. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, February 3

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 weeks later...

• 7 months later...

Was the title Despicable Me Too ever a possibility?

Despicable? Me too!

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

• 4 months later...

Could it possibly it be a coincidence that the head of the Anti-Villain League looks a bit like Robert Morley? That made me happier than the Spy Who Loved Me reference.

Edited by NBooth

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

The pull quotes at Rotten Tomatoes are currently surprisingly positive. Not sure what to make of that.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

The things that worked in the first movie -- the minions, the girls -- work pretty well in this film too. But, just as the main "plot" in the first film didn't do much for me, the main "plot" in this one doesn't, either. It's serviceable, I guess, but not much more.

That Ellen video is kind of amazing. It's a very impressive costume, and Carell pulls it off like he's not wearing anything unusual at all.

Yep. Carell's fun to watch in this. He seems like a pretty fun and naturally funny kind of a guy.

Edited by Attica

My review.

After a second-tier archvillain has been domesticated and redeemed by the inexorable cuteness of a trio of orphaned moppets, how does a sequel keep things interesting? Despicable Me 2 has some good next-step ideas …

… there’s the AVL — that’s the Anti-Villain League — a high-tech intelligence organization that wants to recruit Gru to help thwart other archvillains, like a reformed computer hacker going into computer security and thwarting other hackers.

This is an inspired idea — the film’s best. “Dr. Evil without Austin Powers,” I called Gru in my review of Despicable Me. Turning Dr. Evil into Austin Powers (mutatis mutandis, for a family film) is the best possible way to keep the reformed character from losing his mojo. (Oh, how Mike Myers has influenced this discussion!) …

There are diminishing returns. The charming gee-whiz quality of the original, with dueling archvillains and high-concept, attention-grabbing crimes like stealing the Great Pyramid of Giza and even the moon itself, is lessened …

The antagonist himself, though flamboyant enough, doesn’t hold a candle to Vector in the original. … With his youthful Silicon Valley hubris and next-generation gadgets, Vector was threatening to Gru — who was, at the end of the day, a middle-aged, old-school suburban small-business owner struggling to get enterprise funding — in a way that El Macho never is …

Most crucially, Gru’s anti-villain work never quite pays off for him … nothing here is as memorable as Gru’s various confrontations with Vector (break-in attempts at his headquarters, etc.). The resolution of the climactic crisis is particularly lame …

Still, it’s all amiable enough: colorful, sweet and likable, without the abrasiveness, language or obnoxious pop-culture vibe of many cartoons today. … Finally, while the proceedings end, almost inevitably, in a celebratory dance number from the 1970s, I want to personally extend my thanks to the filmmakers that the Minions never start rapping or b-boying.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Those who have seen Despicable Me 2, were any of you reminded of this while watching it? I kept thinking of it during the serum scenes and the guard-chicken.

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

I'm afraid that, if any movie this week reminded me of the "killer rabbit" scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, it was The Lone Ranger, not Despicable Me 2.

After SDG's review (and the huge disappointment of Man of Steel) I had resolved to skip The Lone Ranger. Now I may have to reconsider. Is the Python similarity to The Lone Ranger's credit or discredit?

Evan C wrote:

: Is the Python similarity to The Lone Ranger's credit or discredit?

Not sure. There's just a really weird WTF? moment where some rabbits turn out to be a lot more vicious than you expected.

: Is the Python similarity to The Lone Ranger's credit or discredit?

Not sure. There's just a really weird WTF? moment where some rabbits turn out to be a lot more vicious than you expected.

Yes. In addition to being a WTF? moment, it's also a GNDN moment (Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing).

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Wow, this movie is a bona fide hit. It grossed almost $59 million between Wednesday and Thursday alone, and the people who study these things are now projecting another $81 million or so for the three-day weekend to bring its five-day total to $140 million.

So basically, this movie is neck-and-neck with Monsters University ($82.4 million) for fourth-place among animated-movie three-day openings (behind Shrek 2 + 3 and Toy Story 3, all of which had three-day weekends of between $108 million and $121.6 million), and it is on track to *pass* the record set by Shrek 2 for an animated movie that opened on a Wednesday (Shrek 2 had grossed almost $129 million by the end of its first Sunday).

"Dr" Ted Behr said Despicable Me 2 succeeded due to it's Christian themes, and studios are probably surprised. He pointed to how negatively critics responded to the original. The original has an 81% fresh rating among critics... 89% fresh if you look at top critics only. And why would the studios be surprised that a sequel to a successful family film did really well? But Behr is not into facts, is he...

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby