Blancanieves (2012)

J.A.A. Purves

I was a bit underwhelmed with this at TIFF...I think I said it was the perfect movie for those who thought THE ARTIST would have been a perfect movie if only it had shown more bull fighting. But my colleague Andrew Johnson really liked it. He interviews Pablo Berger here: http://www.filmgeekradio.com/2012/09/lets-get-reel-4-berger-adapts-snow-white-in-blancanieves/

It will surely be seen as a knock off to The Artist, but the director claims that really the two films were in production around the same time. I may like it better than The Artist if we have to compare them.

Edited by Darrel Manson
A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Blancanieves is in limited release in the US now. Anyone seen it? Or wanted to?

BTW, IMDB's "People who liked this also liked..." list includes The Skin I Live In, Moonrise Kingdom, Django Unchained, A Separation, and The Sessions. Quite the list, in several ways.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I really liked it. Here's what I wrote:

Dos pulgares para arriba for BLANCANIEVES, Pablo Berger's silent film reimagining Snow White as a female bullfighter in and around 1920s Seville. Apart from better cinematography, nothing in this film would have been out of place 90 years ago, and it's all done with utmost sincerity and nary a false note. The acting is, of necessity, presentational yet thoroughly grounded and believable, with stunning turns by Daniel Giménez Cacho and Inma Cuesta. De Falla meets Messiaen in Alfonso de Vilallonga's score, with spine-chilling theremin soaring above flamenco guitar motifs. If it's possible for a film to be stark and sumptuous at the same time, BLANCANIEVES is that film: told simply and inexorably, with every plot point foreshadowed and no emotional punches pulled, it still compels you, through its sheer beauty, to come along. On the way it will break your heart and then mend it, only to break it again. Garcia Lorca himself couldn't have a crafted a more essentially Spanish tragedy. I suppose someone will dismiss BLANCANIEVES as mere sentimentalism, unworthy of the land that gave us Dali and Bunuel. But if you don't look back once in a while, you'll never understand how you got to be where you are now.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.