The Cobbler, dir. Tom McCarthy

Overstreet

Yes!

Tom McCarthy's directing Adam Sandler in his next film, The Cobbler.

“The Cobbler” follows a shoe repair man with the ability to “walk in other peoples’ shoes,” so to speak, as he can metaphysically step into their lives for a certain period of time.

I've been hoping to see better directors bring the best out of Sandler. Punch-drunk Love was too good to be left behind as an anomaly. And he was pretty good in Spanglish too.

And yes, this means McCarthy's film about the Catholic church sex scandals has been delayed.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Ouch. From Indie Wire:

While McCarthy is likely trying to achieve some kind of magical realist screwball vibe, "The Cobbler" never generates the high-spirited inventiveness or energy to allow audiences to buy into the premise, in order to go along for the ride. While the idea is original, it's also ridiculous, and the story is not close to clever enough to put it into any kind of context that is compelling, interesting or believable. The motivation for Max's leap from tradesman/proprietor to socio-economic vigilante is poorly motivated, other than now obtaining a vague sense of purpose in his life. But it's the film's final ten minutes that push "The Cobbler" into something transcendently, almost spectacularly bad. A couple of plot twists and reveals try desperately to turn this fairy tale into something akin to legend, with enough transmitted that a door is actually left open for further sequels. Yes, "The Cobbler" becomes a sort of indie movie fantasy origin story. Seriously. It's a card played that nothing in the rest of the movie even suggests, and is so utterly misguided it's nearly jaw-droppingly remarkable. (Well, your jaw will drop at the miscalculation regardless).

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I kept my ticket, trusting McCarthy's past work over early buzz.

Yikes. It was....stunning. If you took McCarthy's name off it and asked me to name the director, I would have guessed for days before....

Maybe he was raising money to do something else? I mean, this is bad even for Sandler...

• 2 months later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Now streaming on Netflix US.

It's much worse than I could have imagined. When The Cobbler isn't exceedingly dull, it's blindingly stupid. And the ending...well, I'll just say the superhero origin story isn't the worst part of the ending.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog