The Dovekeepers

Peter T Chattaway

Links to our threads on The Bible (2013) and A.D.: Beyond the Bible (in development).

Is anyone here familiar with the book on which this mini-series is based? I note that the CBS person quoted here seems to lump it in with "biblical stories", but unless there's something in the book that neither of these articles mention, I don't think a movie about the fall of Masada would technically qualify as a "biblical story" per se.

For one thing, with the possible exception of Revelation, pretty much the entire timeline encapsulated in the Bible comes to an end about a decade *before* the fall of Jerusalem and the siege of Masada. (The Book of Acts ends circa AD 62; the First Jewish-Roman War, which ended with the defeat at Masada, lasted AD 66-73.) Granted, it is widely believed that quite a few books in the New Testament were *written* after the fall of Jerusalem, and that the fall of Jerusalem looms large over some of its passages, etc. But in terms of narrative content, there's a gap of about a decade between the events of the Bible and the events of Masada.

So unless the novel or mini-series suggests that one of its characters has a personal connection to a biblical story or character, I'm not sure that this story could, itself, be called a "biblical story" even under the loosest definition of the word.

- - -

CBS Jumps Back Into Miniseries Biz With ‘The Dovekeepers’ From Mark Burnett And Roma Downey

Mark Burnett and Roma Downey — the new It Couple of TV Miniseries/Event Series — have landed CBS‘ first announced project from its new limited series and event programming unit. And yes, it’s an historical series with religious overtones. The Dovekeepers is a four-hour miniseries based in Alice Hoffman’s historical novel about the Siege of Masada, and it will air on CBS in 2015. The mini will focus on “four extraordinary women whose lives intersect in a fight for survival at the siege of Masada,” the network said. Masada is the mountaintop fortress near the Dead Sea where the Romans found the last pocket of resistance after they conquered Jerusalem in 70 CE. . . .

In this morning’s announcement, CBS Entertainment chief Nina Tassler  noted The Dovekeepers is “a compelling, beautifully written novel that combines history and fiction, ” adding, “Mark and Roma possess an amazing passion for telling biblical stories and for producing entertaining television on an event scale.” . . .

Deadline.com, December 9

CBS Orders Mark Burnett Mini 'The Dovekeepers' for 2015

CBS is expanding its relationship with Mark Burnett.

The network is teaming with the Survivor mastermind for a four-hour miniseries based on Alice Hoffman's historical novel The Dovekeepers. The mini, set for 2015, hails from exec producers Roma Downey and Burnett, the married creative team behind History's Emmy darling The Bible and Fox's upcoming feature Son of God follow-up.

The Dovekeepers, first published in 2011 by Simon & Schuster imprint Scribner, is a New York Times best-seller and was hailed by Nobel Laureate Toni Morrison as a "major contribution to 21st century literature." The story centers on four women whose lives intersect in a fight for survival at the siege of Masada. Set in ancient Israel, The Dovekeepers is based on the true events at Masada in 70 C.E. After being forced out of their home in Jerusalem by the Romans, 900 Jews were ensconced in a fortress at Masada, a mountain in the Judean desert. Besieged at Masada, the Jews held out for months against the vast Roman armies. The mini will recount the unfolding events from the perspective of four women who arrive at Masada independently and with unique backstories, but who share a common bond for survival. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, December 9

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

To be written by... Ann Peacock, who worked on an early draft of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, as well as a number of movies about racism. Post-Narnia, she has also worked on Kit Kittredge: An American Girl (2008) and a few other things.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 6 months later...

An actor and an actress are attached to the project. One of them was previously cast as Adam in Alex Proyas's never-filmed Paradise Lost. And, interestingly, both of these actors are from Latin America.

• 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

So, did anyone see this this week? Apparently part one had 8.98 million viewers and part two had 6.4 million viewers -- significantly below the 10 to 13 million who tuned in for each episode of The Bible two years ago. (And The Bible was on a cable channel, rather than one of the Big Three networks.) But I've seen very little in the way of promotional stuff for this miniseries, compared to the tons and tons of stories and videos that are currently out there for A.D.: The Bible Continues.