Future Islands

I was surprised to see no one talking about this performance here. I can't stop watching it.

http://youtu.be/1Ee4bfu_t3c

I can't remember a front-man performance as mesmerizing as this. Part of the fun for me (and friends) is trying to come up with adequate hybrid descriptions:

Tom Jones + Henry Rollins + a pigeon

Carlton (from Fresh Prince of Bel Air) + Kevin Spacey + Beelzebub

Rick Astley + Burt Reynolds + Antony Hegarty (Antony and the Johnsons)

William Shatner + Tom Waits + Aerobics Instructor

How can a single song/performance bring together so many disparate influences/references/connotations and make it work?! The music, sans vocals, is pretty straightforward pop/electronic but throw in Samuel T. Herring and I can't help thinking of Las Vegas, the 80s, Death Metal (or whatever subgenre...I can't keep them straight), etc., etc.

The new album and the one before are good, too. 

PS - I love how enthused Dave is afterward!

Edited by yank_eh

Their last album was really good and hooked me. I shared this song and then this performance a few times on Facebook. I'm a big fan.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth