Fincher and Flynn are getting back together.

“Gone Girl” author Gillian Flynn will write the entire season of HBO's upcoming thriller remake “Utopia.”

The announcement comes on the heels of David Fincher confirming that he will be directing every episode of the show's first season, which goes into production in 2015, and came on the same day that their current collaboration starring Ben Affleck hit theaters.

HBO gave a straight to series order for cult U.K. series “Utopia,” which follows diehard fans of an iconic, underground graphic novel. They are suddenly drawn into a pop-culture thriller when they learn that the author has secretly written a sequel. The new manuscript is much more than just a book, though, and soon the fans find themselves in the midst of a shocking conspiracy.

Utopia is a remake of a British series.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

So if it weren't for Gone Girl, this would be Fincher's *third* consecutive remake of a European production, following The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the first two episodes of House of Cards.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Interesting. What I have seen of the BBC show is really pretty good.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

It is not only bright and colorful, but very absurdist and complex. A lot of times the script is confusing and the viewer doesn't have enough info to piece it all together. So yes - not very "Fincheresque" stuff.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

After watching some clips on YouTube, I've concluded that I need to see this show.

EDIT: Possibly of interest only to me, but original show features Nathan Stewart-Jarrett from Misfits (a show which, for at least half of its run, was easily one of my favorite things on television).

Edited by NBooth

I also enjoyed the first part of Misfists, but boy did it go downhill in a hurry. The first season or two are compulsively watchable. Nathan Stewart-Jarrett is great in Utopia, as are the rest of the cast. 

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter