2014 Ecumenical Jury Award(s)

The only drawback worth considering is having A&F attached to a Jury that by nature is selective and could alienate someone by rejecting their application to participate. But if the rules for participation are simple and clear, then that risk is minimized.

That said, I am game for A&F labeling, though respect arguments keeping it generic for this cycle.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take Filmwell out of the running. It sounds clunky, and it just doesn't make sense given that our site is really marginal at best.

And I was about to say that I liked the Filmwell idea. :)

...but, given Greg's latest post, if everyone can agree on the final groundwork for an A&F association, I think that would probably be a good call.

"What is inside is also outside." -Goethe via Merleau-Ponty, in conclusion to the latter's one extended rumination on film
Filmwell, Twitter, & Letterboxd

I like the idea of affiliation with Arts & Faith: "The Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury." But Arts & Faith is not only interested in film. How about: "The Arts & Faith Annual Film Jury"? I appreciate the interest in moving away from direct association with InterFilm/SIGNIS.

I am game for A&F labeling, though respect arguments keeping it generic for this cycle.

given Greg's latest post, if everyone can agree on the final groundwork for an A&F association, I think that would probably be a good call.

The case for A&F branding seems to be building.

I'm glad Peter thinks 1More Ecumenical Jury is brilliant (and I'm slightly amused that, as long as it took the penny to drop for me regarding the 1More/Morefield pun, Peter apparently doubted the connection even when it was pointed out!), and in the event of a backlash against A&F, 1More Ecumenical Jury would still be my second choice. 

But I favor A&F Ecumenical Jury for the reasons previously stated. 

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Been trying to cadge a title out of Ken's book series, but it is a mouthful. Masters of World Cinema Ecumenical Jury

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Been trying to cadge a title out of Ken's book series, but it is a mouthful. Masters of World Cinema Ecumenical Jury

I appreciate the effort, and I feel like it almost works. The sticking point for me is it seems potentially too grandiose along a different vector than Annual Ecumenical Jury Association: Instead of being grandiose about ourselves, Masters of World Cinema sounds a little too grandiose about the films we're praising. 

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

I am hearing a reasonable consensus on the A&F branding.

Am I correct that the preferred form is "Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury"?

I have a feeling, though he hasn't said, that Gordon may wish we did away with "Ecumenical" altogether, though I'm reluctant to simply say "Arts & Faith Film Jury" since that connotes to me something more similar to the old CT "Critics' Choice" list...i.e. just picking best films irrespective of their (or our distinctive). But should we go "Arts & Faith Ecumenical Film Jury"? 

In either case, I would say, let's make a concerted effort, particularly while we are young to make sure that we regularly point people back to the site this thread and keep periodic disclaimers that we are not affiliated with SIGNIS/Interfilm.

I'll give it another fifteen minutes in case anyone is following this conversation and wants one last chance to voice a complaint, caution, or alternative idea. Barring that, I'll go into the blog posts at 1More Film Blog and change the title/references to 2014 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury.

I think the fact that we're a film jury will be understood from the fact that the Ecumenical Jury Awards list consists of film titles. I don't think we'll be talking about ourselves a lot as a group, as distinct from the list(s) we produce. 

So, Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury (Awards) for me. 

With two minutes to spare, I ask: What about "The Image Ecumenical Jury"?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I definitely want to keep Ecumenical in the title; I think that serves as a good way to concisely state what type of films we're honoring and all our religious backgrounds. I think as long as we put some descriptive title with it (Arts & Faith, 1 More) that should be clear we are not affiliated with SIGNIS/Interfilm.

I'll throw one suggestion out, though it's a bit unwieldy: Christian Film Circle Ecumenical Jury (I think Christian and Ecumenical in the same title is kind of redundant, but that's another possible angle to go for a title)

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

My favorite suggestion yet: The Image Ecumenical Jury.

Or The Image Film Jury. 

Or The Image Film Circle. (Jury just sounds so... judgmental.)

Image *is* rather ecumenical, so it would be kind of redundant to say Image Ecumenical.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Might that not suggest the NAACP Image Awards? (It did for me.) 

Might that not suggest the NAACP Image Awards? (It did for me.) 

Maybe. I was thinking it gets around the A&F specificity that was making you uncomfortable, Ken, while affirming our broader affiliation.

The Image JOURNAL Ecumenical Jury?

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Well, I thought IMAGE oversaw A&F, and that the Journal=Image, although maybe the journal is a separate entity from A&F and the umbrella organization, not the journal, is our connection. I didn't mean to tie us to the journal specifically, except as a way of getting around Ken's concern about similarities with the NAACP awards.

Edited by Christian

I would vote for A&F over Image, and certainly over Image Journal. 

The list is significantly a product of A&F as a community and as a forum for discussion. The forum belongs to Image, but the community is larger than any publication, and the impetus for the list comes from outside the Image organization. Our community's roots and history and even our A&F brand precede our formal association with Image.  

I also share Ken's concerns around the NAACP Image Awards, etc. A&F is a brand established with film lists; we use A&F even with lists (like the Top 100) formally organized and sponsored by Image management. Let's stick with A&F. 

Edited by SDG

Bottom line: Ken has too many concerns! ;)

Okay, I changed the two posts at my blog to The 2014 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury Awards

I figured we already have green light for A&F but Image may be a whole other discussion. And, realistically, moving forward, it would be easy enough to change the next iteration to something Image branded if we wanted to do that, since it is the same umbrella.

Edit: Incidentally, one thing I would prefer about A&F over Image labeling is that I like a jury that mixes professional critic with amateur/emerging critic and/or informed enthusiast. A journal connection might raise quality control issues. Nothing wrong with that. But I like the idea of having someplace to direct people (here) if they are interested in participating. That's not to say every juror member would have to be a contributor here (several this time weren't), but if I'm a young critic and I see the list and say, "Wow, I'd love to try to get on that jury" it might incentivize him/her to come here and participate, to be a known quality.

P.S. We'll probably put off qualifications for another day. But one general suggestion I have increasingly put in my standard template of recommendations to new cinephiles is to sign up for a Letterboxd account. The basic account is free, and it is a very convenient way for me to browse over what people have seen in the last year.

Edited by kenmorefield

As you can imagine, I like the IMAGE name because anything that helps IMAGE automatically helps A&F. And it helps me more as a fundraiser.

But I can see the pros and cons.

IMAGE does have wider name recognition than A&F though probably not that much in film-centric circles.

I do see the issue with the NAACP awards.

I could go either way.

Carry on!

I've added (separate) links to Image Journal to the announcement page and winners page, for those who don't know A&F is associated with Image. 

Can I just say, now that that is done, that the biggest surprise to me on that list was The Immigrant

Not because I thought it was a horrible movie or anything, but just because it seemed to have zero buzz throughout the nominations or discussion.

Just checked this thread, and it's been quite the discussion! So, "Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury" is the final title?

Incidentally, one thing I would prefer about A&F over Image labeling is that I like a jury that mixes professional critic with amateur/emerging critic and/or informed enthusiast. A journal connection might raise quality control issues. Nothing wrong with that. But I like the idea of having someplace to direct people (here) if they are interested in participating. That's not to say every juror member would have to be a contributor here (several this time weren't), but if I'm a young critic and I see the list and say, "Wow, I'd love to try to get on that jury" it might incentivize him/her to come here and participate, to be a known quality.

I have little-to-no connection with Image, apart from the A&F forums. That's not a criticism of Image, it's just been my own experience. Thus, the A&F connection makes more sense to me. Personally, I appreciated even having the opportunity for something like this, as I'd consider myself one of those amateur/emerging critics, and these sorts of discussions have been encouraging and beneficial for me.

Regarding The Immigrant: it had little discussion in this thread, but its own thread had LOTS of discussion about its merits (though mostly from Darren and Jeremy, who didn't vote in the jury). FWIW, it'll likely be #3 in my personal end-of-year list.

Now that the naming is complete, would there be any objection if IMAGE tweeted and otherwise celebrated the list?

We'd love not only to drive people to the list but also to A&F and IMAGE.

Let me know. Thanks!

No objections from my part.

Can I just say, now that that is done, that the biggest surprise to me on that list was The Immigrant

Not because I thought it was a horrible movie or anything, but just because it seemed to have zero buzz throughout the nominations or discussion.

It was as well to me, as you know... Fury was also a surprise.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter