Dig

This sounds... interesting. What *kind* of interesting, I don't know. I've been too busy chasing Bible-based TV shows the last little while to look into this. Is anyone here familiar with this show?

- - -

‘Dig’ Premiere: Jason Isaacs Dispels ‘Da Vinci Code’ Comparisons, Talks ‘Creepy’ New Thriller

USA Network’s “Dig,” a 10-part mystery thriller created by “Homeland’s” Gideon Raff and “Heroes'” Tim Kring, premieres at 10 p.m. on March 5. The event series stars Jason Isaacs as Peter Connelly, an FBI agent recently stationed in Jerusalem who begins investigating the murder of a young American and inadvertently uncovers an ancient international conspiracy that threatens to change the course of human history. The cast also includes Anne Heche, Alison Sudol, Ori Pfeffer, David Costabile, Lauren Ambrose, Angela Bettis, Richard E. Grant, Regina Taylor and Omar Metwally. . . .

Tim and Gideon have teased that the show is based on actual mysteries and prophecies — did you do any digging of your own as a result of the script?
I did. The first time I met them, I go, “God, this is a f—ing great story. Where did you get all this stuff?” And they looked at each other and they went, “Well, the newspapers and the Bible.” And I went, “Well, yeah, but not this bit.” And I went to the through various elements and they went “that’s real and that’s real and that’s real.” Obviously they’ve exaggerated and rearranged and conflated and they’ve turned it into a great story, because that’s what great storytellers do, but all of the main and basic elements are absolutely real.

So for instance, there’s a red heifer — this whole show starts with a red cow being born in Norway. And when I was shooting “Rosemary’s Baby” last year and I knew I was going to do this next, the taxi driver asked me, “What are doing next?” And I said, “Oh, I’m doing a thriller in Jerusalem about the end of days.” And he said, “Does it have a red heifer in it?” And I went, “What?” And I was little bit thrown. I kind of looked over my shoulder. I go, “Have you read the script?” He went, “No. I’ve read the Bible.” And I went, “Oh, s—.” . . .

Variety, March 5

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Wow, just yesterday I was looking into whatever happened to the Coen Brothers adaptation of Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union (apparently it's dead), and got caught up in reading about the whole red heifer aspect of that story.  Does Dig also revolve around the construction of the Third Temple?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Yeah, it seems to so far. At least, everything in the pilot was kind of paint-by-numbers third temple stuff.

I was not very impressed. The writing is poor and the direction overall will be hard to stomach (mostly on account of really poor action editing, but perhaps that gets better). I can already feel a hate-watch coming on.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter