Don't Look Now: the remake

Peter T Chattaway

Link to our thread on the original 1973 film.

- - -

Horror Classic 'Don't Look Now' to Get Remake From StudioCanal (Exclusive)

Classic 1970s horror movie Don’t Look Now is getting the remake treatment.

StudioCanal is revisiting the movie with Andrew Rona and Alex Heineman of The Picture Company on board to produce a new iteration.

Directed by Nicolas Roeg, the 1973 atmospheric supernatural thriller starred Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie as a couple grieving the death of their daughter. While in Venice, they meet two Catholic nuns, one of whom claims to be clairvoyant and is in contact with their daughter in the afterlife. The woman brings an ominous message from the afterlife, warning that their lives are in danger. . . .

No writer is attached but the producers and company are looking to follow a similar game plan they worked with their remake of Escape from New York: finding the project a studio home then attaching writing talent. Studios are already expressing interest in Don’t Look Now. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, April 28

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Why?

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

You know what? I ain't even mad.

This is an unremakeable film. It emerged fully formed from such a harrowing, mystical matrix of marriage, omen, and memory that I can't imagine another director capable of producing something that even resembles Don't Look Know

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

When this gets released, I'm going to take the title's advice.

I'll go one further and never look.

I can't imagine any classic Roeg getting the remake treatment, but hypothetical casting for remakes of The Man Who Fell To Earth or Bad Timing could make for an entertaining cinephile's parlor game.

Alt+MAlt+N

Did George Clinton ever get a permit for the Mothership, or did he get Snoop Dogg to fetch one two decades late?

You know what? I ain't even mad.

This is an unremakeable film. It emerged fully formed from such a harrowing, mystical matrix of marriage, omen, and memory that I can't imagine another director capable of producing something that even resembles Don't Look Know

For a second, I read "unremarkable film" and got a bit upset. But that's because I read it at 2:30 AM, post-Ultron. A second look calmed everything down.

Edited by Joel Mayward