Firefly

Croaker

Further discussion of the connection between China's military-industrial ambitions and Firefly in this SyFy Portal article, which includes a link to a site which translates all the Chinese phrases from the show, several of them, as has been noted--um--not FCC-friendly in English.  A few are innocuous, such as "mei-mei"--"little sister", or some conversational phrases.

Ha! Thanks for posting that. My friends and I have always been curious about those Chinese phrases. I might have to start incorporating some of those phrases - the cleaner ones, of course wink.gif - into my everyday vocabulary.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A famous punchline from Seinfeld is becoming more and more meaningful to me as I wait for this movie ...

SERENITY NOW!!!

Serenity now, insanity later. wink.gif

BTW, I finished the entire series. I wonder what would have been if it was still on the telly. It was becoming much deeper than Buffy and Angel, character wise.

There wasn't a character in that ensemble that I could honestly say I wasn't interested in.

My favorite character on the show was Simon, oddly enough (though Mal and Wash both tie for a close second). Borrowing from the western theme, he was modeled on the archetypical "city slicker greenhorn," BUT he deviated sharply from that archetype by being very adaptable and extremely cool "under fire." That, and the actor who played him did a really good job of convincing me that he cared about his sister a lot... which was an important aspect of that story arc (because

you really had to believe that Simon cared enough about his sister to put everything on the line to rescue her from the Blue Hand Men, and you really had to believe that he *had* basically given up everything -- and decided it was worth it -- to get a feel for how much trouble his sister was in to begin with

).

Anyway. Joss is an incredible storyteller.

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

That, and the actor who played him did a really good job of convincing me that he cared about his sister a lot... which was an important aspect of that story arc (because

you really had to believe that Simon cared enough about his sister to put everything on the line to rescue her from the Blue Hand Men, and you really had to believe that he *had* basically given up everything -- and decided it was worth it -- to get a feel for how much trouble his sister was in to begin with

).

The Simon and River relationship is also interesting to me, for the reasons you mentioned, and I hope they explore it more in the movie. The character I am most curious about, though, is Book. They didn't go into his backstory very much, but dropped just enough hints for us to realize there is more to him than the standard, stereotypical TV preacher, such as

being quite familiar with firearms and the shadier aspects of the Alliance

. I would really like to learn more about him.

Subtlety is underrated

My take on Book is

that he's modeled after the Clint Eastwood character in Pale Rider -- or the guy Russell Crowe played in The Quick and the Dead. The guy who is trying to escape and atone for an ugly past...

I do have one question, though.

Exagerate the essential. Leave the obvious vague. ---Vincent Van Gogh

• 4 weeks later...

Firefly was our only reason for turning on the tube for awhile (other than to pop in a DVD). When Fox dropped the ball (read: "killed it out of sheer stupidity") by not advertising it and pre-empting it randomly in various regions and it died the death, we cancelled our satellite subscription and went back to the DVDs.

I, too, could care less about the teen-angst fests of Buffy or Angel. Firefly is unique, intelligent, and engrossing. Adam Baldwin is a friend of my husband's, which is why we tuned in in the first place...and we were immediately hooked.

Saw a rough edit of a key scene from the movie at WonderCon in SF several weeks ago, and we're totally jazzed about the movie!

Neb

Fortus fortuna uvat!

Adam Baldwin is *hilarious* in that show. It's always nice to see a guy who you're vaguely aware of in the background (he used to play a lot of minor character heavies in action flicks, didn't he?) get a chance to shine. He has stellar comic timing.

Actually, overall the casting of that show was flawless. Flawless, I tell you.

You are oh so right on all counts. Adam B. is not only a fabulous actor who deserves more plum roles (it's starting to happen, I think), but the whole show was cast, written, and directed beautifully. This was a goldmine that Fox ignorantly boarded up and posted "duh?" over because it didn't know what to do with it. I really think they just couldn't pigeonhole it, and because Hollyweird does NOT like what it does not understand they just patted it on the head and pulled the oxygen/feed tube.

Back on Adam: he is also brilliant, witty, well-read and has more poise in his pinky than most people have in their whole body. Jayne (his FF character) is not a typecasting situation. Maybe casting directors take one look at him and think "Holy cow...he's huge!" when he walks in the door. I don't know. Why should that matter, I ask you? Just means they can cast nice tall girls (like me) to play opposite him (I wish...). Seriously, he's about 6'7" or so, even though his bio says 6'4". My hubby is 6'4" and Adam towers over him...

Neb

Fortus fortuna uvat!

Well, his size works against him. Everyone knows that movie stars in hollywood are very short and have oversized heads. biggrin.gif

(Like Tom Cruise. Short with big head.)

• 1 month later...

Mark your calendars:

FIREFLY (FOX) - The Sci Fi Channel has landed the repeat rights to all 15

hours of the short-lived FOX series (and basis of the upcoming "Serenity"

feature film). The network's July schedule lists the series as joining its

Friday lineup on July 22 at 7:00/6:00c where it will precede original

episodes of "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica."

Which means the series should be conveniently at episode 10 or 11 of the 12 originally broadcast eps. by the time Serenity opens.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 4 weeks later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Mark your calendars:

FIREFLY (FOX) - The Sci Fi Channel has landed the repeat rights to all 15

hours of the short-lived FOX series (and basis of the upcoming "Serenity"

feature film). The network's July schedule lists the series as joining its

Friday lineup on July 22 at 7:00/6:00c where it will precede original

episodes of "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica."

In an astonishing update SciFi Wire announces they will broadcast Firefly episodes in the intended order, beginning with the 2-hour pilot "Serenity," rather than the thrown-together "Train Job."

For those of you with cable, or who know people with cable/satellite, & want to introduce them to the series without having to risk any money or your own personal DVDs, July 22 is the time.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

I've noted that they are showing the movie previews at the theaters now. I am wary about whether Whedon's style will translate onto the big screen, but I am doing my best to evangelize the film, passing my best friend's copy around to various others.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

• 1 month later...

If you catch the Firefly reruns on the SciFi channel--Fridays at 7 p.m., a worse time, if possible, than the original Friday 8 p.m. slot--each episode includes, usually near the end, a clip from the movie "Serenity." Some of the footage has been in the trailers, but some is new. No major plot spoilage, so far.

This past Friday's ep. was "Shindig." Next week should be "Safe," if I'm not mistaken.

• 6 months later...

boy, this is an old thread, but I've just got to reply...

I just recently found Firefly, due to renting Serenity, and I am fully addicted. I LOVE this show, which goes on the list of shows I found way too late, like the Clerks cartoon and Sports Night (which was, before Firefly, my favorite show of all time). This one was a classic.

And, like so many, it died early.

The main reason I'm posting is not to see how many people saw Serenity, but to see how many people read the graphic novel that was released that bridged the television show and the movie.

And, no matter what anyone else says (or, at least in my humble opinion) the best character on that show was Mal, the best episode was War Stories, and the best line was in Shindig, when Mal says, after stabbing the deplorable Mr. Wing "I'm just a good guy", the after a second stab "Well, I'm alright".

HewittWCC wrote:

: The main reason I'm posting is not to see how many people saw Serenity, but to see how many people read

: the graphic novel that was released that bridged the television show and the movie.

Graphic novel, no. But the three comics, yes. I'm guessing you're referring to a trade paperback collection of those comics?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

HewittWCC wrote:

: The main reason I'm posting is not to see how many people saw Serenity, but to see how many people read

: the graphic novel that was released that bridged the television show and the movie.

Graphic novel, no. But the three comics, yes. I'm guessing you're referring to a trade paperback collection of those comics?

oh, yeah, didn't know until later that they were comics first, then collected out of trade. All I saw was the trade. You may punish me accordingly.

Are those comics considered to be canonical Firefly material? I was apprehensive about giving them a try. A lot of TV show/comic-book tie-ins are crap, but I thought that these ones were written by Whedon, which would give them more weight it seems...

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

• 4 weeks later...

Are these comics available (trade perferrably) at standard bookstore? Or is Amazon/ebay the best bet?

If you're buying through any major retailer, you should be able to order through them even if they don't have it on the shelf. I'm sure tons of smaller and mom and pop places can get it somehow too.

And, it's worth noting, that "Firefly" is still among the top 20 bestsellers on Amazon.com (#17 last time I checked), and Serenity is currently 37. They've both been near the top since their respective releases, too, from what I've seen.

• 5 weeks later...
Firefly is now available for download from the iTunes Store at $1.99/episode, or $25.99 for all 14 episodes. Of course, you could just go out and buy the entire series on DVD for that much, and get all of the extra features and whatnot... but then you couldn't watch it on your iPod.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Firefly is now available for download from the iTunes Store at $1.99/episode, or $25.99 for all 14 episodes. Of course, you could just go out and buy the entire series on DVD for that much, and get all of the extra features and whatnot... but then you couldn't watch it on your iPod.

Well, if you have a DVD drive on your PC, a copy of the Firefly DVD, and a free program or two, you can. (I know, I did it.)

Let me stress here - this is if you have a copy of this on DVD that you have purchased. If you take digital advantage of it, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Edited by Clint M