Who WILL win?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Award nominees:

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Underscore

• “The Invisible Man”
  • “The Midnight Sky”
  • “News of the World”
  • “Sound of Metal”
  • “Tenet”
  • “The Trial of the Chicago 7”
  • “Wonder Woman 1984”

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Musical

• “Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of the Fire Saga”
  • “The High Note”
  • “I Am Woman”
  • “The Forty-Year-Old Version”
  • “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
  • “The Prom”

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Dialogue/ADR

• “Emperor”
  • “Greyhound”
  • “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
  • “Mank”
  • “News of the World”
  • “Nomadland”
  • “Sound of Metal”
  • “Trial of the Chicago 7”

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Effects/Foley

• “Cherry”
  • “Greyhound”
  • “The Midnight Sky”
  • “News of the World”
  • “Sound of Metal”
  • “Tenet”
  • “Wonder Woman 1984”

So: 3 nominations apiece for News of the World and Sound of Metal; 2 nominations apiece for GreyhoundMa Rainey's Black BottomThe Midnight SkyTenetThe Trial of the Chicago 7 and Wonder Woman 1984; and 1 nomination apiece for CherryEmperorEurovision Song ContestThe Forty-Year-Old VersionThe High NoteI Am WomanThe Invisible ManMankNomadland and The Prom.

The winners will be announced April 16.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cinema Audio Society nominees:

• Greyhound
  • Mank
  • News of the World
  • Sound of Metal
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7

The winner will be announced April 17.

(This comment is re-posted from another thread.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Vote!

Note: the only difference between the Oscars and the two sound guilds is that the Oscars nominated Soul and both of the guilds did not. (The Cinema Audio Society nominated The Trial of the Chicago 7 instead, and the Motion Picture Sound Editors nominated fourteen other films in addition to the four films that overlapped the Oscars.)

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Award nominees: . . .

So: 3 nominations apiece for News of the World and Sound of Metal; 2 nominations apiece for GreyhoundMa Rainey's Black BottomThe Midnight SkyTenetThe Trial of the Chicago 7 and Wonder Woman 1984; and 1 nomination apiece for CherryEmperorEurovision Song ContestThe Forty-Year-Old VersionThe High NoteI Am WomanThe Invisible ManMankNomadland and The Prom.

The winners will be announced April 16.

And the winners are...

• Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of the Fire Saga -- feature musical
  • Greyhound -- feature effects/foley
  • Tenet -- feature underscore
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7 -- feature dialogue/ADR

Interestingly, the two films with the most Golden Reel nominations -- News of the World and Sound of Metal -- were shut out completely. And those two films have Oscar nominations, whereas the only Golden Reel winner that has one is Greyhound.

Well, that's not entirely true. Soul won a Golden Reel in the animation category, and it has an Oscar nomination for best sound, too. So, hmmm.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2021 at 11:08 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Cinema Audio Society nominees:

• Greyhound
  • Mank
  • News of the World
  • Sound of Metal
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7

The winner will be announced April 17.

And the winner is... Sound of Metal!

So, in the first year in decades that the Academy combined the sound-editing and sound-mixing awards into a single category, the sound editors guild and the sound mixers guild have given their awards to completely different movies!

But both of the guilds gave Soul the animation award, so who knows, maybe the two live-action front-runners will split the vote for the Oscar and Soul will come out the winner! Hmmm.

Has an animated film ever been nominated for best sound before? Looking through the nominees (for consistency's sake, I'm just saying "editing" and "mixing", even in years when "sound editing" was called "sound effects editing" and "sound mixing" was just called "sound")...

• 2010 -- Toy Story 3 was nominated for sound editing, which it lost to Inception.
  • 2009 -- Up was nominated for sound editing, which it lost to The Hurt Locker.
  • 2008 -- WALL-E was nominated for both editing and mixing, which it lost to The Dark Knight and Slumdog Millionaire, respectively.
  • 2007 -- Ratatouille was nominated for editing and mixing, both of which it lost to The Bourne Ultimatum.
  • 2004 -- The Incredibles won sound editing and was nominated for sound mixing, which it lost to RayThe Polar Express was also nominated in both categories.
  • 2003 -- Finding Nemo was nominated for sound editing, which it lost to Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.
  • 2001 -- Monsters, Inc. was nominated for sound editing, which it lost to Pearl Harbor.
  • 1992 -- Aladdin was nominated for both editing and mixing, which it lost to Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Last of the Mohicans, respectively.
  • 1991 -- Beauty and the Beast was nominated for sound mixing, which it lost to Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
  • 1988 -- Who Framed Roger Rabbit won sound editing and was nominated for sound mixing, which it lost to Bird.
  • 1964 -- Mary Poppins was nominated for sound mixing, which it lost to My Fair Lady.
  • 1945 -- The Three Caballeros was nominated for sound, which it lost to The Bells of St. Mary's.
  • 1943 -- Saludos Amigos was nominated for sound, which it lost to This Land Is Mine.
  • 1942 -- Bambi was nominated for sound, which it lost to Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I may have missed some titles, but I think that's the lot.

So, it appears that The Incredibles is the only fully-animated film that has ever actually *won* an Oscar for sound, and it won during a decade-long period in which Pixar got nominations more often than not. After that decade-long period, there was a decade-long pause in nominations until Soul came along.

It seems animated films have also had a lot more luck in the editing department than the mixing department, both when it comes to nominations and when it comes to the one award that The Incredibles won. (See also the mostly live-action Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which won for editing but lost for mixing.) Mary Poppins, which was mostly live-action, and Beauty and the Beast are noteworthy exceptions that got nominations for mixing but not for editing.

It also appears that 2004 was the only year that produced *two* animated films that got nominated for sound -- The Incredibles, which won one of the awards, and The Polar Express, which did not win either of them. The Polar Express (directed, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, by Robert Zemeckis) is also the only animated film that got nominated for sound and was *not* distributed by Disney.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway